Author / Post
Admin Group
Admin Group
RCSB Owner/Founder
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: May/23/2021 at 7:38pm  Quote

Stearman is looking good!

I don't know of anyone doing a 1/3rd scale on at all. You could take the Mark Frankel plan and have it blown up to the size you want at the copy shop, then build a plug to make a fiberglass fuse mold and cut the wing cores from foam. Certainly doable. As far as laser cutters get in touch with Bob at Laser Design Services. He is great at working with modelers that have custom work. There are folks here that have certainly done those things before so I am sure if you look around in the scratch build forum you can find some examples of how to to do that.

Good luck!
Mike

Update Your Browser!

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: May/23/2021 at 9:23pm  Quote

Thanks Mike, I'll see what options are available but that would be a start at least working with the Mark Frankel plans!

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: May/24/2021 at 6:09am  Quote

Quote: Cody Horner
Thanks for the welcome Jeff & Gary! Sounds great, and seems like a pretty diverse group of guys & talents here. Myself, I'm a software developer with ~20 years under my belt and a "claim to fame" developing training center software for some "unnamed" NHL teams and organizations.

Oh boy, 5 post limit and here goes the second. I'll read the FAQ and the site post info. This is a new one for a forum membership but hopefully that means the group of guys are more capable here haha

Cheers,
Cody

The resources alone are worth the membership, plus there's always plenty of help if you need it.  

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of Malta Malta
IP Logged
Posted: May/24/2021 at 10:41am  Quote

Hi Cody,
I did build a 1/4 scale T-34 Mentor. After building it I covered it with litho aluminum and has all the details included. Then I went on to make an all composite aircraft from my molds. As yet I have not had the time to make a full kit out of it but I hope to do this when I finish my present aircraft. A point worth highlighting is that if you are going the scale way then it is good to know beforehand that this aircraft has many corrugations (I hope this is the correct word). I believe the number is well in excess of 350. Also at 1/4 scale there are few engines that will go inside the cowl without having the engine head sticking out! In my case I will be using the OS FF320 Pegasus engine. Anyway here are some photos.

Reuben

NOSE GEAR DOOR MOLDINGS

COWL OPENING DOOR MOLDINGS

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: May/24/2021 at 10:55am  Quote

Wow beautiful work! I'll PM you, I'd love to follow along your build and when you think you'll have a full kit from this.

Awesome! The Pegasus is a cool engine, I've wanted to find something to give me an excuse to buy one for a long time but I'd definitely want to convert it to spark ignition. What's the full width of the cowl on this one? I had high hopes of a Kolm twin at least, but perhaps something like a Saito FG 61TS would also fit?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: May/24/2021 at 11:30am  Quote

Nice work Reuben!

Let me know if I can help

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: May/24/2021 at 12:13pm  Quote

Reuben:
Fantastic work! I was literally intimidated at the rivets. Then I saw your corrugated surfaces......

Cody:
See? Lots of welcomed flowing your way. As one of our esteemed members pointed out, the reference sources here alone are worth the membership. You already have two great starts with Reuben’s incredible T-34.

I’d like to add an extra reference. I’ve got b+w photos of the T-34 in detailed close up walk arounds with cockpit interiors. The photos cover the As, Bs, & the turboprop version Cs.

I should also mention as an aside to Mike’s reference to AeroFred plans: they will gladly produce prints of the plans for a small fee. From there, you can take them to your local print shop & have them enlarged to your tastes.

Cheers,

Gary

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of Malta Malta
IP Logged
Posted: May/24/2021 at 1:54pm  Quote

Thanks guys! I wish I had done it to 1/3 scale but I was at a loss from were one could source the landing gear. At the time I started the project only Robart made the landing gears so I was stuck to 1/4 scale. Believe me those corrugations took me a lot of time to make as there are many. On the ailerons (top and bottom) x2, flaps (top and bottom) x 2, Elevator stab and elevators (top and bottom) x 2, Rudder stab and rudder (left and right). Last I counted there were over 350 of them. That eats up a lot of the free time one has. Anyway it is done now so what is left is doing the kit. I already done a few trials and all of them came out quite good. So that is something to look forward to. I will be using Airex foam so that I will try and keep the weight of the aircraft down as much as possible while keeping it strong. Later on, I will pop a few more photos of the trial cowls.

Later

Reuben

]
] ]