Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Introduce Yourself>Graeme from Australia (Pilatus PC6) Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 3 Pages 1 2 3
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Avatar User Offline Graeme Beresford
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of Australia Australia
IP Logged
Posted: May/17/2020 at 2:14am  Quote

Long term interest in R/C planes with PC6 being the favourite.  I was guided here via facebook to ask the following questions:

Hey Gals and Guys
4 questions which you might be able to help with after researching a Pilatus PC6 model.
1. Scale drawings don't seem to line up with original specs. is that normal or do you need to modify the design for R/C
2. Scale model and scale speed doesn't seem to match, so how do you pick the power plant for size?
3. PC6 uses wing profile NACA 64-514 which I cannot find any measurements for apart from the link below. Can anyone point me to the tech specs?
https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/4/2/8/5/5/6/a 6230405-235-Pilatus%20Porter%20airfoil%20NACA%2064-514%20vs% 20HK%20PC-6%20airfoil.jpg
4. Perhaps a personal or $$ choice, how many control channels do you suggest? I figure if money is to be spent, then plan for the max and build up servos as required. Thoughts?

Thanks for letting me amongst you all.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: May/17/2020 at 9:06am  Quote

Hi Graeme, welcome to RCSB!

1. 3-views often contain inaccuracies, they usually more of general arrangement drawings than actual scale drawings.  Unless they have been done by an enthusiast who cares.  As you are building, rely more on photographs of your subject than the 3-views.  If you are going to compete that is a whole different ballgame and there are lots of discussions on the site to cover that.

2. Model speed and full-size speeds will never match, because of Reynolds Numbers.  If you are designing your own, look around at similar models, taking into account wingspan, weight and airfoil.

3.  I'm too lazy to convert your URL into something that work.  An aeronatical engineering book can tell you how to draw the airfoils; it's really not that hard.  OR - make friends with someone who has the Profili or Compufoil software - they can generate the airfoils for you, and even do blended airfoils (different at root and tip) with washout.

4.  Get as much radio as you can afford.  You don't need all the servos yet, but the higher end radios have features that make things easier, and eventually you will have need of more channels,

Having gone thru all of that, let me recommend that you join the community here.  I don't know if you ever subscribed to an RC magazine before, but the Site Supporter program offers tons of value, over and above the already invaluable input and knowledge of the members here.

Let me know if I can help

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: May/17/2020 at 10:43am  Quote

Graeme,
Welcome too, to this site. I agree with everything Jeff said with one added request: please join this site! You’ll then have access to all of the discounts offered by participating vendors, photos (& yes, accurate drawings) from fellow members, great ideas, great support in helping you in your quest on the PC-6 model & so much more.

Gary

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
IP Logged
Posted: May/17/2020 at 1:47pm  Quote

Graeme,
Welcome to the site as well. It would be most helpful to us for you to give us an idea of your modeling experience. Both flying and building, that way we can steer you in the right direction.
There are several ARF's available or have been in the past for this plane. Depending on you experience this might be a quick way to get in the air with a plane you are interested in.
Sparky

Gamma RIP

Avatar User Offline Graeme Beresford
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of Australia Australia
IP Logged
Posted: May/18/2020 at 12:31am  Quote

Jeff, Gary, Sparky

Thank you so much for your 'over the pacific' welcome!

Suggested by Sparky, modelling experience you might describe as 'ground zero'.  I did some drafting before CAD and did some CAD with my house building days.

Civil building has been my most hands on apart from domestic repairs as I am an 
  • AGI researcher [not my last invention, perhaps for other humans!]
  • computer scientist(project manager, analyst/designer/engineer, programmer) (none collapsed yet!)
  • mathematics teacher (understanding whilst carefully prepared not guaranteed over time)
  • project builder / kit homes and developments (None collapsed yet!)
  • psychologist (fix your head and families)
  • sociologist (fix your communities heads)
just to name some of my past careers.

My reimagining was to use this as a STEM educational tool, but powers that be went into another direction...

Now having the richness of time and economy of pocket one has to make a start.  

I am in the process of collecting PC6 plans etc, including Pilatus' own, and considering using possibly blender to begin consolidating initial ideas.  I take Jeff's advice regarding pics and the 'lets try this' possible approach as well as diving into  Reynolds Numbers, NACA profiles, materials, ratio comparisons, testbeds etc etc.

Thanks again!

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
IP Logged
Posted: May/18/2020 at 9:56am  Quote

Graeme,
Ok. That sounds like you have lived a full and purposeful life! Now you are about to start a new learning process. First step is to get some stick time. Get with your local model club, find out what equipment they are using and what they recommend for a trainer aircraft. ARF is the way to go for the first few airplanes. Learning to fly models isn't something that will happen overnight. It's a journey.
Yes you can teach yourself how to fly but its a much steeper learning curve and you could learn some interesting (bad) habits that can be corrected in your fundamental stages. If you are involved with a club that has designated instructors that can help smooth that road some.
I've been on that trip for about 1/2 a century and I don't know it all, I guarantee I've made more mistakes than you have!
Sparky

Gamma RIP

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: May/18/2020 at 10:18am  Quote

Graeme

I don't know what size PC-6 you are interested in, however - the best plans and kit can be found here: https://www.rc-airplanes-simplified.com/rc-pilatus-porter.ht ml

You can buy the plans and have them reduced to any size you wish. That will save you the time designing your own. The PC-6 is a very popular model and countless plans and kits exist in all propulsion forms: internal combustion, electric, and turbine power.

Josh

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: May/18/2020 at 10:19am  Quote

Also: look here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Giant%2BScale%2BPilatus%2BPC -6%2BPlans&sa=N&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS855US855&biw=192 0&bih=937&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir= C4LN3OKifb5YQM%253A%252CGdes8LnD28HWJM%252C_&vet=1&u sg=AI4_-kRITigWiu9tEm0JTpMlJqjtUsdYVg&ved=2ahUKEwiylpjv2 b3pAhWzlHIEHYVNCJw4FBD1ATAJegQIChAQ

]
] ]