]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: August/25/2018 at 11:18am  Quote

Quote: LBJ
RJ, I am a member of GSW Aero Club on the far East side of FW. Been a member out there over 30 years. We have an AMA District 8 "Jamboree" this Sept 8, so you should come on out. One of our members is Dist 8 VP, Lawrence Harvell. He's organized this rallye. We have club members from Arlington too.

I know exactly where your club field is located.  I flew there once many years ago.  I like a couple of miles south of I20 off of Hwy 287 so, it's a fairly straight shot to your field from my place. 
I plan on attending the event.  Our club has been advertising it for a couple of months. 

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/25/2018 at 12:09pm  Quote

RJ, be good to see you there. Lane

There are always TWO sides to every story. Proverbs 18:17
Current Projects
Ziroli Hellcat
BlackHorse Corsair ARF

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: August/25/2018 at 12:56pm  Quote

RJ,

Painting in a garage without overspray issues is easier than what you may previously
have done with a high pressure automotive or air brush.

HVLP (high volume low pressure) applications have very little overspray which falls to
the floor in the immediate application area. Typically a polyetylene drop cloth would be
used 
beneath a pair of saw horses spanned via a narrow board to support to be painted
item.

If more is required use a thin polyetylene drop cloth suspended from the garage ceiling
to form a paint booth. Latex should not float freely due to low pressure of HVLP gun. If
its temporary use Lowes or Home Depot $.99 wood yard sticks to form perimeter of the
booth on garage ceiling.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: August/25/2018 at 1:39pm  Quote

ScaleAero,
     Funny you should mention the polyethylene drop cloth.  When I mentioned a temporary paint booth, I was thinking about that material draped (& taped) over a PVC pipe framework. 
     I've been aware of the HVLP paint guns for a long time.  I was tasked with developing training for our company painters when they were introduced in So. Cal. many years ago.  I haven't thought about them since.  (Duh)  Do they sell any other kind these days?
   So, with spray painting now a possibility, I need to learn to spray paint ...and practice.  Latex paint will do the trick I think.  

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/25/2018 at 4:54pm  Quote

RJ, I don't think you will be happy with any other way of laying down any paint, except spraying. Use whatever type of gun you feel is best, but brushing the finish paint just won't get it! ha. I'd even like to try one of the HVLP guns. They are fairly cheap. But, the Devilbiss JGA-502 gun just jeeps getting the job done. Lane

There are always TWO sides to every story. Proverbs 18:17
Current Projects
Ziroli Hellcat
BlackHorse Corsair ARF

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: August/25/2018 at 5:27pm  Quote

Quote: LBJ
RJ, I don't think you will be happy with any other way of laying down any paint, except spraying. Use whatever type of gun you feel is best, but brushing the finish paint just won't get it! ha. I'd even like to try one of the HVLP guns. They are fairly cheap. But, the Devilbiss JGA-502 gun just jeeps getting the job done. Lane

Thanks Lane.  I knew that  but, was trying to avoid spraying due to my lack of experience and place to do it.  However, as Ed pointed out by suggesting an HVLP sprayer and a make-shift paint booth, I can see how it could be done fairly easy and safely. 
Just need a bit of PVC pipe to make a frame and some plastic drop cloth for the booth (portable/collapsible of course). 

I've also done a bit of browsing for HVLP guns and HF has a variety of them.  Some of the folks on the "Finishing" thread recommend them for a low cost but, serviceable tool. 

Also on the Finishing thread, a guy named "Typhoon" (Chris) related his experience using Ceconite Lite on a couple of projects and got me excited about that process.  He uses no harmful chemicals and it works great.  I was so excited about his description that I ordered a couple of yards of the stuff to try out on the horizontal and vertical of the Cub.  Now, I need to get busy and get those parts prepped for covering.
One of the other guys on that thread relayed a story from his friend who uses Ceconite Lite and is applying Latex paint directly to the surface without primer.  He says the weave is very tight and filling with primer is not necessary. 

The plan is coming together.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/25/2018 at 5:40pm  Quote

I spray latex in my garage with nothing other than a fan to help and have no issues with over spray that I can find. I also use a HF gun, just make sure you clean and disassemble and dry it out after each use or it will rust. I do sometimes spray out side in a shaded area also. If your weathering your plane then dirt makes no difference at all in the final product really.

Flying:Merlyn Graves Ki-100, Ziroli B25, BUSA 1/3 Stearman,1/3 N28, 1/3 Pup,27% Gee Bee Sportster, Sig 1/3 Spacewalker, WH 27% Bird Dog

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: August/25/2018 at 5:56pm  Quote

Mark,
     Thanks for the tip.  I had forgotten how much less over-spray there is with an HVLP gun.  I can make a mess just putting my shoes on so, the "booth" will be a necessary for me and to convince my wife I won't be painting everything in the garage the same color as my plane.  :)

]
] ]