] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: August/23/2018 at 9:11pm  Quote

BTW Rowdy - you have one more post as a basic member.  Use it wisely!

Let me know if I can help

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/23/2018 at 10:11pm  Quote

Hi Rowdy, that web address you gave for the Better Aircraft Covering is for full scale birds only, best I can tell. I E-Mailed them a month ago and never got a response since I told them I was looking for RC coverings. I think what they handle is much heavier than RC needs. But, SIG Koverall is plentiful. Used with Stix-It it works well. Your $20 annual fee here is worth every penny. Lane

There are always TWO sides to every story. Proverbs 18:17
Current Projects
Ziroli Hellcat
BlackHorse Corsair ARF

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: August/23/2018 at 10:47pm  Quote

Hi Lane,
    Yeah, I noticed that.  I emailed them too and got a response soon after ...and he sent a price list.  However, I didn't mention anything about RC planes.  They replied that there is no minimum order required so, we might be able to sneak through a small order for our use.  The stuff's not cheap but, considering that it doesn't need dope, painting, etc. it might be worth it.  Will have to do some comparative pricing with Sig and BUSA. 
I'm told that this will be my last post here on the "welcome wagon" and I should make it good.  :)  I'll find a forum to continue this discussion on my research.  See you guys around the forum. 

Oh, I stripped the old covering off the Cub fuselage today along with the horizontal and vertical.  I'm gonna leave the wings alone for the time being.  They look dirty, even after I cleaned them up some yesterday, but they are in good condition.  After I tackle the fuselage, I may do the wings or I may clean them up better and just paint them ....depending on how my cover job on the fuselage goes.
I plan to mount a Zenoah 38cc gas (2.2 rated HP) on it which should be enough power. 

Thanks,

Wait !  There's an annual fee?

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/24/2018 at 12:11am  Quote

Rowdy, as far as posting, I guess you made your last free one above! But I suppose you can look all you want. But, to be a supporting member and make more posts, it runs $20 a year. But, it's worth that many times over. I've had RC problems solved thru posting them here that I never would have thought of. Good luck, Lane

Last time I looked, a couple of weeks ago, Balsa USA still had some Solar-Tex left in a very few colors. But, you might look to see what they have.

Current Projects
Ziroli Hellcat
BlackHorse Corsair ARF

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: August/24/2018 at 7:51am  Quote

Quote: LBJ
Rowdy, as far as posting, I guess you made your last free one above! But I suppose you can look all you want. But, to be a supporting member and make more posts, it runs $20 a year. But, it's worth that many times over. I've had RC problems solved thru posting them here that I never would have thought of. Good luck, Lane

Last time I looked, a couple of weeks ago, Balsa USA still had some Solar-Tex left in a very few colors. But, you might look to see what they have.

Rowdy ponied up and became a site supporter! Yay!

Now check out the FAQs and find out what is available - as well as the great content!

Let me know if I can help

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/24/2018 at 1:36pm  Quote

LBJ and Jeff:

Good morning.  I've heard a lot about SIG Koverall and I'm wondering if this is a heat-shrink film with its own adhesive and if so, does it also have that fabric weave pattern that resembles Solartex?

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/24/2018 at 2:11pm  Quote

Skydiamonds, maybe this link will help. I just used Koverall on the Porter PC-6 wing build. You have to add a glue such as Sig Stix-It on the balsa and let it dry, then cut and iron the Koverall on. It's also heat shrinkable. It's really very close to Solar-Tex without the glue. It's also very close to a full scale covering after painting. I cover the whole process for one of the flaps on the link below. And you can see how it looks after painting with pics below. I think Koverall scares people off because there's no glue on it, but it's really not a big job. Sig also says on the packaging you can use Nitrate dope or epoxy resin to glue it down. The 5 yard package is 5 feet wide and 15 feet long! Lots of material for not much money. It's a little more work, but since Solar-Tex is out of business now, might be a good solution until something else takes its place.

Koverall Used on Porter Build

Primed and sanded.

Painted. Top and Bottom of wings.

Current Projects
Ziroli Hellcat
BlackHorse Corsair ARF

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/24/2018 at 3:57pm  Quote

This works fine on 1/4 scale WW1 birds as well...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/ceconitefabric 2.php
You can get 5 yards 72 inches wide for $50.00

If you build a Camel make sure you make lite ply doublers for all the ribs around the landing gear block in the bottom wing, and beef that area up ... as well as the hard points out in the wings... don't scrimp on wood there.

I think you can see some changes I made in the My friends Camel build/rebuild..

Have fun, hope you post a lot of pics and video ;)

]
] ]