Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Introduce Yourself>Greetings from Niles, Ohio Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump  
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: May/27/2020 at 2:21pm  Quote

Hi, Roy White here. New to this site and to RC modeling actually
And as you can probably tell, new to this computer thing. Being recently retired, I've decided to get into RC planes. I love planes and flew the real thing for a while but it finally got to expensive . I ordered Jerry Bates 1\5 Bearcat plans and a pile of wood and we're off and building! Being a tool & diemaker by trade has helped with the blueprint reading and I hope things are progressing ok. I'll save that for the Bates forum though. Just wanted to say hey, and I hope you all are doing well and staying safe. Roy

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: May/27/2020 at 7:41pm  Quote

Roy,
Welcome to RCSB site. We’re all in this world of modeling together. Here, you’ll get lots of support, research, sharing of: knowledge, photos of both real aircraft & models, information, documents, advice & so much more. I don’t know the percentage, but speaking for myself & those I’ve come to know, we’re all retired. As for the rest? Many are just like you & I. We also have retired professors (he’s currently a professor of linguistics & living in Japan) , doctors, lawyers, CEOs, computer programmers & more to add some variety.

You & I share something in common already. I took two full semesters of basic computer 101 & I’m back to square one. I’m just as illiterate in computers & programming as I was five, ten & fifteen years ago. And with some good luck, five, ten & fifteen years into the future. My goals are: 1) to build as many models as I have in my photo collection which means I’ll have to live to be at least 300 years old & 2) to be a nuisance to my lovely wife & (grown) kids. I’ve fulfilled the latter quite admirably as my family will attest. As to the former, I’m working on that now as I celebrated my 42nd anniversary of my 29th birthday - I refuse to grow up.

Our RCSB interests spans the whole spectrum of aviation from early biplanes to the modern jets & everything in between. I’m currently building a small Guillow’s P-51 Mustang for my daughter to be displayed in her home. My past builds have been small Guillows kits of S.E.5 & Guillow’s Wright Bro’s Flyer. My next projects will include a Boeing F4B-4 & F4B-1. Then the field opens up to nearly anything.

There are lots of fellow members who are well-versed in the Bearcat, radio control equipment & all the building techniques that go along.

Welcome,

Gary

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
IP Logged
Posted: May/27/2020 at 10:20pm  Quote

Welcome to the site!
Being a T&D man don't get too upset with the Landing gear on the Bearcat. Few if any model Bearcats have the scale landing gear that folds up to fit the wheel well.
Pretty aggressive choice of model for the first airplane. Look at the local clubs to get you going. Few full scale pilots start out flying a fighter as their first plane.
Sparky

Gamma RIP

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: May/31/2020 at 2:12am  Quote

Thanks for the replies. Know the Bearcat is pretty advanced but I like to build things and I figured it would be a better challenge. I have a brother who flew RC and he gave me two nice trainers to learn with. I figure after I destroy both those, I'd buy a ready to fly plane more like a warbird to transition to. Looking at two clubs right now.

]
] ]