Author / Post
Avatar User Offline The_Norwegian
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of Norway Norway
IP Logged
Posted: December/05/2015 at 3:06am  Quote

Hello RCSB and members!

When searching for warbirds and balsa kits and so I found this site and I am in aw of the dedication and skills you all have!
Personally I have not built anything in the scale range from 60" to 100" and up as you guys, but I am intrigued to start up and do something similar myself.

3-4 years ago I went up to the local strip and found a clash of RC car racers as this RC air strip is a combo with a on road car track and the straight is the air strip as well.
They let me try one of those cars and I was hooked! But it has always been planes and wood working that has been close to my heart.
So after been trough a range of cars and other contraptions connected to an TX box of some sorts I found out I want to get some saw dust on my hands again..

I have made a lot of stuff in wood, like the 18.6' White Guide wood strip canoe, ton of work!
But so rewarding and fun!
And I have been drooling over some of the build threads in here, and I hear some of you 'complain' about sanding... Listen to this: You will never - ever complain about sanding after you have sanded a 18' wood canoe! Haha! (You have two layers of glass cloth (In and out right?) and you need to pre-sand the wood some before the glass also, and then sand between layers of epoxy, some are done with machine but still it is a lot of manual labor and elbow grease involved!)

Enough of that, I was so impressed by this site, the community and the skills by you all I had to register and become a site supporter
Kudos all!

So, I am still navigating about to find where to ask questions, because my plan is to build a WW2 fighter and the P-51 versions has always been close to my heart. So original rite? hehe...

But the Corsairs, and the Spitfire is of course also of interest as well, and not to forget the P-47!.
My first real, alive, WW2 fighter I saw was a Spitfire, and I was twelve and it made a low pass to check out if it could land, to hear that machine roar pass you at 50 feet is burned to your memory forever!

I would set my self as an experienced wood worker, but I also know with experience it is so much that you don't know, it is an learning process through life and you will always learn something new. And building warbirds in the range of 80" and up is also something new for sure

With that said, at the get go thinking of a 60" build, but after reading the build threads over and over I found it interesting to just go for it and pick one of the JB plans or a Meister, or any other for that matter. It is all about what fits me.. And I want it to be as realistic as possible, and for instance retracts in simple wire will not do, it has to be realistic! So, I guess in the 60" size this is less available parts for this, so then the next step will be something at 80" and up. I also want it to be glassed, so you can paint it as you want.

Only thing I require is that it has to be a 'full kit', as I don't have any space were we live at now to go for a fully scratch build. So everything need to be available online.
Of course, a simple vacuum form for plastic parts could be done, but as said, not what I am looking for now.

This is the overall thoughts I have now, but it can be subject to change... For sure!

Anyway, I will make a request thread and see if some of you guys have some time to help me out with questions regarding a warbird build ;)

And yes, personal stuff:
I am soon to become 50, married to a very, VERY understandable girl and live in south east in Norway.
No kids unfortunately.
Profession is in structural construction, but last work was trough a friend of mine and I ended up being a wheel loader operator making gravel for roads and air strips and similar stuff all over Norway. Good pay and 9 days of every 3rd week. But I have been home since 2012 now because of an traffic accident and are awaiting surgery. But that is an hole other story.

So, I have the time, when I am physically up for it to do some wood work

Thats it, and keep it up all!

Erik

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Avatar User Offline Walter_Mitty
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of United Kingdom United Kingdom
IP Logged
Posted: December/05/2015 at 5:50am  Quote

Hi Erik ,

Welcome

Biggest piece of advice on here , don't look at anything Drice (Don Rice)

does !!! it'll make you give up and play dominoes !!!

Just kidding Don , ya know we loves ya !!

Ask anything Erik ,all our years of accumulated c**k ups are here to be shared

No such thing as a stupid question

May I suggest you look at Ziroli's 92" P 47

https://ziroligiantscaleplans.com/plane-plans/p-47-thunderbo lt-92-plan.html

Seems to fit the bill for you

Best of luck Cheers

Phil

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: December/05/2015 at 7:04am  Quote

Heya Walter!
Thank you for the info, seems like a nice kit!

Funny that, I have just been watching some WW2 history about the P-47 and those flying it just now on the tube channel, what a story to live trough it all and tell to the world ;)
I have always been interested in WW2, as my grandmother brother was very active in saving my city from being seized and was active in helping the king and his family to escape to England when the king say NO to the Germans.. After I started to realize this I have always been into WW2 history, or more so for all the technology around it, but he did not want to tell so much of his endeavors, unfortunately.

I am starting to realize how much this will cost me now, but hey, you live once right?

What I need now, for a build of this magnitude is to have access to everything, like cowling, i.e. all of covers, struts, wheels, cockpit, you name it, to finish this project.
I will like this first build be a after marked available build so to say, but off course, i do know I have to make some parts my self, and that is no problem at all.
I have done a lot of strange project during my life time so I don't think I will be stuck, I just do not have a big and suitable work shop to do it all at the moment ;)

So good planning is of essence here, for sure ..

Erik

Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of Sweden Sweden
IP Logged
Posted: December/05/2015 at 10:04am  Quote

Hello Erik!

Welcome to this Amazing Place full of good advice and experienced builders!

I started a build thread here (

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2120 1&PN=1

) when i started my build of the Top-Flite Giant P-47. This is my first scale build and i have gotten tons of good advice from all the people here. As this is my first scale build i felt it was very nice with the Top-Flite kit since it comes with full instructions and plans. This helps the build move foreward in a nice way and helps you as a builder aswell. Its also nice with a kit like this since Everything is all ready thoght out in advance and you know that the Construction works. It is an easy to follow manual with a good Construction with washout already built in. All in all, a very good kit.

I decided on the P-47 because of the big wing area, the good look and because the gear is wide apart. Also, many others have talked about the good flying characteristics of the P-47. There is also alot of models of retracts that more or less just falls into Place in the wing.

This is a expensive hobby, but its so woth it, as you said, you only live once!!!

Take care!

Erik (from Sweden)

On the bench
TF GS P-47, Laser 300V, Robart electric retracts

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: December/05/2015 at 10:09am  Quote

Hi Erik, and welcome to the site!

First biggest question - have you learned how to fly a model yet?  It is different from the RC cars but that experience will help.  If you have not, then by all means start on your project but acquire a trainer and learn how to fly.  Then a more advanced and difficult trainer.  By the time you have mastered those your dream plane should be about ready.

All the accessories for the Ziroli models should be available, and most of the stuff for the JB plans as well.  You could always start with the Top Flite giant P-51 or Corsair KITS (they also have ARFs) - they are complete but you would need to get your own retracts, probably the wheels, and of course the radio gear.

Building a giant scale model is a commitment - some guys can rip one out if a few months while others (me) take years.

I look forward to your progress!

Let me know if I can help

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: December/06/2015 at 2:39am  Quote

Hi all!

@Ewadhagen:
The p-47 is a strong contender for sure, although I have always wanted to build a P-47D.. But everybody build those, so that is not very original, right?
Then again when you are building a model of this size and funds invested in it you should defiantly go for what your hearts say.
It need to be a model you like and have some sort of connection with..
But, when you have not build a model of this size it is important to listen to other, and avid builders with years and several models under their belt, for sure!
I was thinking about the Top Flite giant models, but I want to built so close to scratch I can. If me and my wife did not live in a apartment now and I had a dedicated shop I would most likely build from scratch ;)
I have also been thinking of those planes that was either shot down or just crashed for unknown reason in my area in Norway, for a Scandinavian brother like you, I am sure you also see that as an option :)
So, I am not decided yet what to build, I was thinking to just pick up a kit and start building on this this Christmas, I know now for a fact that will not happen with a project like this...

@J_Whitney:
Simple answer, yes, but I am not ready yet to fly a model of this size. Then again, I enjoy building more then flying. Well, at least at the moment, but that is subject to change. for sure!
I have lots of trainers in house. so I am covered that way. plus a array of sims I use. I also have many experienced and skilled WW2 pilots in our local club.
The reason for building a plane like this is to ... build it! Simple as that... I have a since early teens always been interested in building stuff, and I built my first balsa glider at the age of twelve ;)

Some pictures of my woodworking skills, so you know what level I am at, so to say ;)
This is an 18.6' White Guide, built from scratch, only the web seats are purchased due to my final exam back in the 90's

Final result:

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of United Kingdom United Kingdom
IP Logged
Posted: December/06/2015 at 3:42am  Quote

Hi Erik,

beautiful work there............i don't think you will have any problems with some balsa bashing.........

there are some fantastic builders on here.......all levels of experience.........all willing to share......

welcome.....

look forward to seeing your build come together what ever you choose to do....

all the best from a very windy UK

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: December/06/2015 at 6:50am  Quote

Quote: tigermoth
Hi Erik,

beautiful work there............i don't think you will have any problems with some balsa bashing.........

there are some fantastic builders on here.......all levels of experience.........all willing to share......

welcome.....

look forward to seeing your build come together what ever you choose to do....

all the best from a very windy UK

Hiya TigerMoth, yes, I guess you are feeling the wind pretty good now yes?
I lived short time in Liverpool and I could feel the wind coming in from the Irish sea very well and that was just an ordinary day of fall.
So I hope that will end soon for you all ;)

When it comes to woodworking I feel pretty confident, but as we all know and especially when you start on something you have not done before you will have parts you will need help with. So fortunate to have a forum and a world wide community for a small part of the history that made such a impact on the world, even up to this day, over 70 years later right?

So, I will do some more research, make a thread and ask a ton of questions hehe.
I was also thinking on making a 1:5 Bearcat version, but I think I will do that later. I have some Rarebear foamies and they are tons of fun to fly on 4 cell!

But all in good time I guess, PK, back to reading build threads guys?

Erik

]
] ]