]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: April/24/2020 at 4:54pm  Quote

Gee Whiz,

There’s some wood pieces in the box that appear to be walnut, very dense.
Oh boy, the original price sticker still on box, $89.00. Right now, to me....thats all its worth...right now.
I need to think over about putting this back on eBay before I commit going further.
I’ll Just focus on the Phoenix ARF, which appears to be half way decent kit for the money.
Unfortunately there isn’t a school yard big enough here in Burbank to fly a plane of this size. In addition Bob Hope airport.
Take my time building until this Virus deal blows over. I was going to Eastern Sierra trout opener tomorrow, just got email that it has been postponed.

WISH YOU ALL THE BEST IN THIS HARD TIME!

Tim

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: April/24/2020 at 7:35pm  Quote

It’s called “Bob Hope Airport” now? Used to be called Hollywood-Burbank.   Its just 5 miles east of Van Nuys Airport as the crows fly. Funny, just after the airliner takes off Burbank’s runway 15, the first thing it flies over is a cemetery...... Oy Vey.

There’s a huge model field in the Sepulveda basin with concrete runways & wide open fields... Don’t know if it’s open though. Sorry to hear about the closure of trout fishing.

Not to discourage you from the P-38, just understand everyone’s good intentions. You can still fly other aircraft while taking your time on building the Lightning. We have several members building two or more models at the same time (I think the record is four). I’d suggest before you put it back on eBay, to spend a few days going over the plans & kit. If it’s still too heavy & complex, then at least you gave it a thorough going over.

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: April/25/2020 at 3:54pm  Quote

I made room in my garage for a plan review table. Thank you Skydiamonds for the inspiration to plug on.
I read the forum on magnetic building bench, its the way to go over balsa board and pins. The local metal supply is still open for curbside pickup. I emailed the jig guy for input on what size set I should get, may just get standard.
I’m sure how big to make bench though 3’x4’ seems good, I am open to suggestions. It’s hot here finally in Burbank!
It’s back to Hollywood Burbank airport now Skydiamonds, I forgot.

Thanks All

Tim

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: April/25/2020 at 7:15pm  Quote

Tim,
Glad you decided to try it. Still keep in mind to realize this -38 is not for faint of heart. You’ll have some setbacks (we all do) & that’s where we come in. Everything on the Lightning is doubled & tripled: triple fuselages, doubled engines, triple landing gears (& possibly their doors if you go that far), doubled tails, doubled servos, & always tripled the time it takes to build & the workload.

You’ll need a bigger board say at least 3x6. This is to allow you room to work on sub assemblies as well as having room to work on the full wingspan & main skeletal components & perform alignments when everything is temporarily put together. Don’t skimp on the board. More the merrier. You’ve got yourself a good sized model, might as well have a good sized board to match as well as taking into account for any future projects. That is, if you’ve got room. If not, then whatever size board you feel comfortable will work. It’s your project, your model, your party. You do what you want. We’ll just sit over your shoulders ( I do this all the time) on “Vulture’s Row.”

And yes, your chance for success or.....

I’ll be the first to tell you that when it comes to radios, transmitters, servos, retracts, etc., I’m very weak in those areas. The big boys will have to step in & cover for you.

Besides, if you’d be so inclined, you’d have room to build (ahem) a Cub on the side at the same time.

Never knew Burbank was renamed in the first place. Glad it’s back to Hollywood-Burbank.

You can call me Gary. We’re practically neighbors .... ;0)

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: April/25/2020 at 7:57pm  Quote

Thanks Gary

I can do a 4x6, I’ll request a quote 16 gauge galvanized steel sheet, going magnetic for this build, I need to figure out a base for flatness. Not sure if you seen previous post, I ordered a Phoenix Stinson Voyager ARF. Going electric with that as well. Been flying something similar to that ok on simulator. I will keep an EYE out for a CUB, built a Goldberg anniversary CUB back in the eighties. Got watch my budget though, P38 is going to get expensive, already is.
Looks it will be a while before Apollo flying field opens. There is a field in Glendale now as well, also closed. I’m going to join their club when field opens so i can fly there. Closer and no big boy (real deal) traffic to deal with. Cross wind?

Tim

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
IP Logged
Posted: April/25/2020 at 8:46pm  Quote

4' is too wide 30" would be sufficient for almost everything you will build.
Sparky

Gamma RIP

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: April/25/2020 at 9:21pm  Quote

Sparky

It will be a walk around table, also I believe it will be cheaper for one cut on the steel sheet.

Tim

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: April/25/2020 at 11:10pm  Quote

Tim,

Good luck (sitting on your shoulders, Vulture-style).

Gary

]
] ]