] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: April/22/2020 at 11:22am  Quote

I wasn't going to be quite that honest... Spark's being a bit more realistic given the nature of that kit.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: April/22/2020 at 12:08pm  Quote

I've had OK success lightening up Royal kits. Make the structures appropriate for the forces they will encounter and the weight will go way down.  E-power means little vibration, no starter motor forces, battery(ies) and servos up front, lighter and thinner wood selection, gentler handling, no fuel proofing, and on and on.  Works wonders. Which ever way, the P-38 is a great looker.

Fred

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: April/22/2020 at 1:13pm  Quote

I have a kit myself but never built.  It ended sitting around after my size expectation got into large gas giant scales.  My buddy is just finishing a Royal B25 with twin 4240 electric motors.  For being a twin engine and the size of the model I think its better to stick with electric.  If you went nitro the engines would be sticking out of the cowls a lot.

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: April/22/2020 at 2:20pm  Quote

Sherman Oaks. My house was near the corner of Magnolia & Woodman Ave. Used to take the Ventura Fwy to work at Burbank.

That’s my small distraction for the day.

Both Ed of Scale Aero & Sparky are very experienced modelers & will help you with whichever decision you make. If you’ve had multi-engine experience, that would go a long ways in making a difference. P

Gary

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: April/22/2020 at 2:30pm  Quote

74.5" w/s at that weight with the narrow wing is something you can't relax with...
Ziroli's is the same way at 114". Unless its electric there are so many things that
can go wrong in a heartbeat.

We had a member at Bomber who was a little hard headed. He went through four
of Nick's.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: April/22/2020 at 3:29pm  Quote

I believe Fiberglass Specialties still makes fiberglass intakes and cowls for this kit.  That in and of itself will save you about a gazillion hours of work.  It looks nice when its done.  I would change the way it comes apart and have the outer wing panels removable but keep the wing center section and the booms/elevators all together as one piece for transport.  Good luck with it.  They are a builder's kit but they sure look cool.  

Flying:
A couple of ARFs at the moment :-)

Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of Canada Canada
IP Logged
Posted: April/22/2020 at 5:24pm  Quote

Agree with the Wirtzer. I built one with twin OS 45 LA glow at 9.5 lbs.
I removed centre of all formers and doublers with a scroll saw and forstner bits. I kept all the cutouts in a milk carton and they weighed over a pound. Dead weight.

Mine was 3 piece with gondola,stab and booms one piece. It sat on its wheels for transport. Flew it for 15 years with several engine out flights. Manageable but never intentional.

Ironicly I lost the airplane when I converted it to electric. One esc shut down on the third flight. The windmilling prop made it uncontrollable.

If any one is interested I have remaining Royal P38 stuff I will never use again including
A mould for the cowl.

A pair of Dave Brown 2.75” lightened backplate FAI spinners cut for counter rotating 3 blade props.   

A new set of 13x8 3 blade MAS props   -one pusher one tractor

All the best in your efforts

gbr 677

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: April/22/2020 at 7:14pm  Quote

Hello guys,

Thank you all for your inputs, I much appreciate it. Yes, it was knee jerk purchase on my part. I’ve been a model builder since childhood. I am a builder of many different scales and types of models, from RC to Static, 1/35 to 1/32 and ?
   I have built many nitro planes (scales?) in the past, but to honest never flew a one. Sold them all, but they were fliers. My flight experience is with electric park flyers and simulators. Being retired now, I’ll jump back in and fly a larger scale type trainer. Any suggestions on that will be appreciated. I’m well aware I have project on my hands, but I am confident I can pull this off. Hopefully I’ll be more proficient in flying, by the time this beast is done, if not, find someone who can fly it and tweaks it. I don’t have any photos of past plane builds, didn’t have a digital camera or pc as today. I do have photos of a live steam RC tug I have been working on for many years to date. This looks this is strictly Scale RC plane forum so I’m not sure if I should post ship models. One of the electric park flyers I had was a foamy P38, it was a flyer, counter rotating props. Can’t remember which brand.
   I was diagnosed with a chronic illness in 2005, sold everything, thought this was it for me.
In remission now, bouncing back and maybe even become a worker among workers again. Thankfully I did hold on to all my building tools, radios servos etc...and hung on to my steamer. I’ll post when I get the royal kit in. Fiberglass Specialties still makes parts for this plane, already emailed them.

Thanks Again to all for your inputs, going to read over them again and take notes.

Tim Morris

]
] ]