Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Show Your Stuff!!!>Westland Lysander refurbishment. Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 21 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Avatar User Online Dragon Slayer
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Dragon Slayer
National Flag of Australia Australia
IP Logged
Posted: March/20/2020 at 9:47pm  Quote

Got a bit more done on refurbishment this morning. Aaannd ... the sun is shining.

The badly deformed litho plate at the top of the right legging was taken off with the aid of artery forceps rolling the litho back as the contact cement let go under the persuasive heat of my paint stripper. Gods but that CC is aggressive stuff.

A plate of litho was cut to size not forgetting the t.e. wrap around. It was marked for flush rivets ... spaces as before.

I found the correct sized punch and tested it on a scrap of litho. It was the top one in the pic.

Plate punched and fitted. The line at the t.e. is where she has to be bent. No annealing here. Then it will be stuck down with CC again.

The top plate on the other side was salvageable although wrinkled and slightly split at the very top. It was filled with "plastic metal" and then rubbed back. Primed and painted it will come up a treat.

The damaged plate where the bottom seat of the hefty wing struts sit. Wrinkles and a split.

White two part "plastic metal" now rubbed back. It will come up well without a pristine plastic model look.

The bottom inside bar of wood and glass just below the inner hemispherical cover was fractured. Balsa plat triangles were glued into the fore and aft ends, and then the bar itself was covered with a strip of carbon cloth and epoxy resin. Now it is like concrete.

The heavy carbon cloth epoxied onto the bar.

After filler and a good sand it will be ready for a bit of primer/paint.

Happy with that outcome. 

The sprung kick in foot rests are OK, but the Dzus fasteners are losing definition. May have to treat them with the Acetone trick.
I will experiment with one and if works I will do the worst affected.

False alarm. The belly pan was not locked in all the way. The plunger holes at each end in the fuselage were tight.
That is a removeable Allen Key hanging out of the side. This engages the levers that pull in the plungers. It is sprung as you can just see.
Worked reliably for the past twelve years. The two switch stations (holes) have not been used in a decade. Bad design as the whole belly pan was tied up with the switch harnesses. That soon went.

Later, Lurkers.

Time for a beverage.

Ken

To maiden
Fatface Skyraider DLE 130
Ziroli Hellcat Moki 150

Flying ...
Westland Lysander 168" Moki 250

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Dragon Slayer
IP Logged
Posted: March/20/2020 at 9:51pm  Quote

Quote: martin5465
Ken,
What is the wingspan on that Lysander again?
Just curious...no rush to answer...

Martin,

I think it is 165" span. For some reason I had an idea that it was 168". I must measure it when she is all together again. Let you know for sure then.

Ken

To maiden
Ziroli Hellcat Moki 150

Flying ...

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Dragon Slayer
IP Logged
Posted: March/20/2020 at 9:58pm  Quote

Quote: Admin
Glad you are doing a bit of refurb on the Lizzy... I remember us talking about the Lysander before you built it. 

It really is an impressive model pal! 

Mike

Yup, it seemed like yesterday that I asked you what you had in your beautiful camo Lizzie in the way of longitudinal dihedral. 

Thanks ... it worked. 

Regards to you, Mike.

Ken

To maiden
Ziroli Hellcat Moki 150

Flying ...

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: March/20/2020 at 10:13pm  Quote

amazing how easy you are making the repairs look- I have such a hard time visualizing how to repair such dings- learning a lot from this thread- Carry on- Matt

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Dragon Slayer
IP Logged
Posted: March/20/2020 at 11:06pm  Quote

Good to hear that you are getting something out of these postings, Matt. Makes it all worth while. 

Now, Lurkers if you look veerry carefully you will see the "shadow" of an M and an A on the side of the fuselage. The very thin, fenestrated plastic cut out letters were damaged one day when I carelessly pulled the Lysander along the ground through a gap between two cars at the field and mightily scratched the letters. The white chipped paint on the right is in the middle of the right down leg of the M. At the top right of the pic you can see the top of the A. Yes, of course you can. 

I left this "shadow" of dirt (for good reason, as I am sure you will figure out) after I removed the torn letters with the help of the aforementioned paint stripper. I got Paul of Stikas 'N Things in S.A. to send me another set of M and A as he still had the previous order on file ... 12 years ago. Good man he is ! I could get the exact colour as before but the fenestrated plastic (which goes over rivets, wing and fuse pinked tapes a treat like no other) is no longer made. He reassured me that the "new stuff" was not fenestrated but it was said to be even better!

I will stick them on this arvo and we shall see.

Digits crossed.

Ken

To maiden
Ziroli Hellcat Moki 150

Flying ...

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Dragon Slayer
IP Logged
Posted: March/21/2020 at 12:26am  Quote

Lettering job done.

When I opened up the flat stika folder I found a full double set of letters. I only ordered the M and A but got good value for my order.

A moment of truth. I followed the shadow and all went well. I did not use a soapy spray as it was not required.

The colour match is spot on.

In these old stikas you can see the fenestrations when up close with a camera om MACRO. With the naked eye its is not nearly as obvious.
The new stikas are just textured a tiny bit which I like but not like the old ones. They will do just fine.

On to the next job, but first it is coffee time. A Colombian with Kenya and Mocha beans will suffice. Pity I am not allowed a cigar. I loved a good half Havana in the old days.  I wonder if my Havanese puppy would be hard wired to sense a Cuban cigar?  

Ken

To maiden
Ziroli Hellcat Moki 150

Flying ...

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Dragon Slayer
IP Logged
Posted: March/21/2020 at 12:39am  Quote

By the way, this is Andy Sephton, Chief Test Pilot at the Shuttleworth. He has had hundreds of show flights in the Lysander .... and in all sorts of other relics.

He is actually an Axel's Pilot from Germany. Cost an arm, a leg and a kidney but he was exact 1 to 3.7 scale and wore the correct office suit.

The Lysander had a straight joy stick and the top hoop. This did not swing from side to side like a Spitfire stick. I cheated and used a scale Spitty stick and glued the hoop so it was dead straight and couldn't move side ways.

This is the dash. It needs a clean but I do like the dusty look. When the pilot is in it is a tight fit and the fuel tank is not to be seen.

Ken

To maiden
Ziroli Hellcat Moki 150

Flying ...

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Dragon Slayer
IP Logged
Posted: March/21/2020 at 12:52am  Quote

Here is a teaser. It is a short video clip of the Lysander at the Temora Classic of 2008. There are other planes, too.

It was her first round of her first comp. Grey day with bad cross wind. Things were going quite well until the fuel tank clunk fell of and a dead stick shortly followed. That was round one ! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJiPKFqlbSE

Ken

To maiden
Ziroli Hellcat Moki 150

Flying ...

]
] ]