]
Author / Post
Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: November/14/2019 at 7:13am  Quote

Just be aware if Don Smith’s plans & the mistakes. If you can, review many builders of Don Smith’s plans & understand that there will be a lot of modifications that will need to be done in order to have a decent model.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
IP Logged
Posted: November/14/2019 at 7:30am  Quote

After reading about the pain and suffering that others have had with the DS plans I would NEVER consider building from his plans. And I've completed many scratch builds.
Caveat Emptor
Sparky

Gamma RIP

Avatar User Offline ScottyDsntKnow
Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: November/14/2019 at 8:18am  Quote

Quote: Sparky
After reading about the pain and suffering that others have had with the DS plans I would NEVER consider building from his plans. And I've completed many scratch builds.
Caveat Emptor
Sparky

Welp, that makes that decision easy lol.  What I figured and what I kind of gathered from reading the build threads.  I know the Wingspan was all designed in CAD and is exact.  

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: November/14/2019 at 8:54am  Quote

Scotty,

DS’s plans were mostly drawn without CAD, so this one may (fingers crossed but still skeptical) be accurate. Many of the drawings did not factor in extra strength where needed such as wing spars & their webbing. So the accuracy of CAD is really dependent upon whoever uses it. The B-17F model may be accurate in outline & have many good features. It’s really your call in the end.

If a B-17 is your calling, then go for it. If nothing else, rather than ordering the whole semi kit with all of the shipping charges & extra monies, why not just order the plans themselves & see if they meet your requirements?

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: November/14/2019 at 11:50am  Quote

Scotty,

Welcome aboard from a retired MSgt.  I was in Comm with a stint in the 1st Mob and WHCA.

You mention going to Maryland for some training.  How about flying Mil Air for your return and carry the model with you then?  Andrews flies a lot of transports.  And just up the road a few hours is Dover AFB.  Pretty much everything flies out of there.  Worth checking.

If you go with a B-17, one thing I'll say about it is this forum has probably built more B-17s than Boeing did.  The answers are here, just not always obvious.

Looking forward to whatever build you do.

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: November/14/2019 at 1:01pm  Quote

App,

That’s a great idea for Scotty.

Avatar User Offline ScottyDsntKnow
Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: November/15/2019 at 3:31am  Quote

I had considered that but MilAir is too unreliable for official training that I would need to attend on time.  It would only be $40 to ship the whole Wingspan kit to my APO/FPO address.  I'd rather pay the $200 more for that kit and $40 shipping than $1000 for the B24 ARF and then $400-$500 shipping...  

Large 4 engine bomber has been the dream plane since I started in the hobby 25 years ago as a kid so I think I'm gonna give this thing a shot.  If this forum has built that many B-17s I think I should be able to get the help I need if/when I get stuck.  

I just need to order before New Years because the prices are going up 15% on 1 Jan.

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: November/15/2019 at 6:44am  Quote

Quote: ScottyDsntKnow
I had considered that but MilAir is too unreliable for official training that I would need to attend on time.  It would only be $40 to ship the whole Wingspan kit to my APO/FPO address.  I'd rather pay the $200 more for that kit and $40 shipping than $1000 for the B24 ARF and then $400-$500 shipping...  

Large 4 engine bomber has been the dream plane since I started in the hobby 25 years ago as a kid so I think I'm gonna give this thing a shot.  If this forum has built that many B-17s I think I should be able to get the help I need if/when I get stuck.  

I just need to order before New Years because the prices are going up 15% on 1 Jan.

My thought was to do commercial to come to MD and Mil Air return.  But whatever floats your boat.  

I had no trouble getting things like this done when I was in.  But I retired in 94 and suspect some things have changed.

]
] ]