]
Author / Post
Avatar User Offline ScottyDsntKnow
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: October/10/2019 at 3:27am  Quote

Hi all, I'm USAF stationed in Spain currently and for the forseeable future.  Joined here because I used to build kits with my father when I was younger and would like to do a large build on my own now that I'm older and have got back into the hobby.  Tons of ARFs out there now but it seems everyone is flying the same thing because of it... or foam.  Nothing wrong with that but I'd like to do something I've always wanted which is build a big multi so I'll be banging around the build threads for the bombers.  

Looking to move soon as well and one of my requirements is a lot more room for a workshop/garage so I'll have space to do a big build.  Here's hoping. 

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: October/10/2019 at 4:08am  Quote

Scotty:
Let me have the honors if welcoming you to this site. I can see you haven’t joined the site (yet) by paying the annual dues. Not to put you off with this first welcome by asking you to start paying, but as a basic member, you’ll only be entitled to five posts & the benefits that are normally available would not be accessible to you at the present time. I was in exactly the same position as you when someone started calling to my attention about paying money to this site before I even had a chance to fully review the potential benefits first. Trust me, for just a small fee that lasts over a full year, it’ll immediately open up doors previously you never dreamed of.

Without going further on that topic, if you’re into bombers (or aircraft with multi-engines , you’ve comes to the right place. There are many experts far more qualified than myself to guide you every step of the way. It’s not all that uncommon for members to also develop friendships.

Not all multi-engine aircraft have to be bombers: we’ve got several P-38’s, a couple of F7F Tigercats, several DC-3’s/-47’s, & one very large twin biplane bomber called Handley Page O/00, plus Vickers Wellington, B-17’s & one Baltimore. That’s just for starters off the top of my head.

If this is your first foray into building away from ARF’s & foamies, it might be a good idea to start out with a kit or semi-kit. The latter, there are several companies that will produce a “one-off” special semi kit (supplied with laser cut woods, fiber glassed fuselage, plastic molded canopies/cowls & more. Several companies also offer specialized accessories such as landing gears & many are vendors that offer discounts available only to members.

I could go on but welcome!! Tell us what you’ve got in mind as your first modeling project. We also offer documentation, drawings/plans & a wealth of suggestions & ideas.

Sincerely,
Skye

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of Bulgaria Bulgaria
IP Logged
Posted: October/10/2019 at 5:08am  Quote

Scotty,

Welcome.

To save yourself a lot of pain ... go to the FAQ section at the top of the page and read every thing.

If in doubt. Don't!
Flying: HIGH!
Building: Getting my Mo Jo back slowly to finish a few projects.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
IP Logged
Posted: October/10/2019 at 8:03am  Quote

Scotty,
Welcome, where are you stationed and what do you do? Being in Europe you have some limitations on a convenient hobby shop, the bases used to have pretty well stocked hobby shops but that was back in the day. Using an APO/FPO address helps but packages are handled pretty roughly. The good news is there are some really unique kits that you can get over seas that aren't seen in the US so when you get a few kits under your belt they will be just a credit card away!
It sounds like you are already past the solo stage.....
Sparky
PS Best $20 you will ever spend.

Gamma RIP

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: October/11/2019 at 4:37am  Quote

Yes I'll get on the $20 membership lol, **** you guys really make sure ppl pay but I can see why.  

I'm at Rota, Spain.  The RC scene is actually really great here, there is a LHS in Jerez and a real small one in Sanlucar that caters to almost only RC cars but the nice thing about them is they sell Methanol, oil and even straight Nitromethane for mixing up fuel.  And yeah there are some cool kits here, there is an Italian place that sells ARFs of Italian WW2 fighters I'd never even heard of.  Being in the EU is real nice too as far as all that goes.  I'm a C-17 Globemaster and C-5 Galaxy mechanic but right now I'm working on the command staff for an O-6 inside so living the dream as far as schedule goes.  0800-1700 M-F, weekends and holidays off, no deployments, TDY to Germany every 3-4 months and I'm going to extend here so I will be here till I retire in 2026.  South Spain is about as opposite of a crappy duty station as you can get.  We have a real small club here in Rota I belong to but its a great tight knit club, there is another one in El Puerto de Santa Maria about 20 minutes away with a paved runway, another one up by Seville and ANOTHER one in Gibraltar plus other ones.  Its cool as hell to fly at the Gibraltar one with the rock right there and then you hit a British pub afterwards. 

Anyway yeah, looking forward to banging around on the forum and absorbing any knowledge I can.  Would love to do a big multi build but I am actually kicking around figuring out a way to get the VQ B-24 ARC shipped out here and then mod it/glass it as a first go around with planes like this.  From everything I'm reading its really well built I'm just not a fan of the printed sticker covering that comes on it.  I will likely have to get it broken down into 2 boxes or see if a friend back in the states at McGuire can put it on a grey tail in exchange for some good local whiskey sent back his way. 

Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of Spain Spain
IP Logged
Posted: October/11/2019 at 4:58am  Quote

Welcome to Spain.A great place to life.un gran sitio para vivir

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
IP Logged
Posted: October/11/2019 at 7:08am  Quote

Yep that big gray Cargo plane is handy. Just need some one on this side of the pond that can stuff it aboard for you.
Toured Spain last spring lovely place we were in Seville for the big festival.
Sparky

Gamma RIP

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: October/19/2019 at 10:31am  Quote

Ok, Ok I finally did the subscription.  I will admit it did seem a little "pushy" but I get why its needed for a site like this.  

The B-24 from VQ is looking more and more like it probably won't happen unless I'm willing to eat $500 extra to get it shipped here and that would be for the olive pre-covered one.  There is really no way VQ can get it to me short of a friend putting it on a grey tail and the missions drop so randomly that is kinda hard and I don't want someone to have to lug this huge package in and out of work if the mission changes or cancels which happens.  So that $500 extra would be to get it shipped to me from HobbyGulf in Lebanon... and then I'd probably still have to pay VAT on it so... probably not going to be paying double price for the VQ...

Going to keep reading and researching and settling on what I want to do.  I have gone all electric now but I did fuel for years and would not be opposed to going back to gasoline or methanol for a big multi.  Although from what I've seen there are pretty crazy flight times with the big electric bombers because they can haul around huge batteries.  That's down the road.  

Glad to be here and glad to help support the site.  

]
] ]