]
Author / Post
Avatar User Offline ScottyDsntKnow
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: October/25/2019 at 10:24am  Quote

I was thinking of asking him if I could put 25% down non refundable on one to hold for 2-4 weeks but I've already been such a pain in the *** about it lol.

I am going to research how Iberia handles oversize luggage, probably like everyone else.  Thank you for the suggestion.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: October/25/2019 at 10:33am  Quote

I believe Iberia flys out of Houston IAH Bush International. They may
honor MATS...

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: October/25/2019 at 4:03pm  Quote

Not familiar with MATS, what is that?

Also, can have the plane shipped from Miami to Spain for about $175.  That is not bad considering.  Would be in a shipping container and would be here before xmas.  Probably gonna do that.  

Still thinking the ARC is the best bet although the lazy in me says get the silver one and just detail it out and call it...  

I was going to run it all electric but I just can't do it.  Going to buy a mule for some Saito FA-40 nitro engines to start breaking them in.  I'll pain the valve covers of the motors to match the cowl and run 90 degree exhaust fittings or custom to keep the mufflers in the cowl with a scale exit.  Will be running CDI on all 4.  I do not use glow plugs and I mix up my own 0% fuel at about 14% oil.  8% syn and 4% castor.  No nitro.  Motors run amazing and make almost 0 mess.  

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: October/25/2019 at 4:17pm  Quote

Quote: ScottyDsntKnow
Not familiar with MATS, what is that?

Also, can have the plane shipped from Miami to Spain for about $175.

Can't imagine it being cheaper...

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: October/25/2019 at 4:25pm  Quote

It won't be.  Well... it'll be up to $130 to Miami and then $175 to Spain.  Still way cheaper than the next cheapest shipping option at $500 to have HobbyGulf send an Olive one from Lebanon to Spain.  And then have to pay 28% VAT in euros on it so more like $700 shipping...  

So anyway yeah.  Think i have shipping it out here figured out.  For most stuff I can just use ShipitAPO as almost everything is either under the 108" normal limit and ships fine or it goes oversize and I have to pay $75 flat rate plus $10 handling for them to forward it to me.  How I go the Phoenix 20cc Corsair I just bought out here...  

I'll make a build thread when I eventually get it and probably on the Corsair too.  Currently building a Phoenix P-40 ARF but that is just a straight up assembly with some minor detailing.  Electric on that one with a sound system.  I will have to do an assembly thread on it too if that is allowed here lol.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of Taiwan Taiwan
IP Logged
Posted: October/25/2019 at 7:03pm  Quote

Quote: ScottyDsntKnow
I have also heard that the VQ covering can be a pain to get off as its not monokote or oracover its like... vinyl stick on?  I dunno.

Yes a vinyl stick-on and, yes, somewhat of a pain to pull. Pulling the cover itself is not so hard, it’s getting the glue residue off of the wood that is the problem.   Naphtha or lacquer thinner will remove it but it is a little messy.

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: October/26/2019 at 5:31pm  Quote

Oh great...  yeah he still has a few ARCs remaining and is going to hold one.  Club member today tried to talk me into ordering one of the covered ones but... I dunno.  I really want to make this a longer project and go all out with it.  I suppose I could just spray paint the covered one and then detail it.  I've done fiberglassing before tho and I'm good at filling/bodywork which I've done on cars.  I think the only complicated-ish part of this would be glassing the fuse.  The wings and surfaces are all stupid easy on this plane or at least it looks like it.  

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: November/14/2019 at 6:44am  Quote

Still have not ordered anything, I am moving at the end of the month...  Tomas didn't get back to me for awhile so no hold on the ARC but he still has a few.  But... with the shipping costs whether I ship it in a crate or get it re-packed I'm really kicking around just ordering a kit if I'm going to pay $1500 for that VQ.  I'm confident I could build the 1/9 Wingspan B-17 and that would be $1740 shipped here for the F model.  Not confident at all in my ability to build a Don Smith but they are a lot cheaper and the 3 piece wing would make transport easier.  Been in contact with Mike Kramer at Wingspan and he's been great at answering questions about the kit and pricing and shipping estimate to my FPO address.  If I was to get the Don Smith it would probably be from Belair.  

I do have all the tools, a huge basement, time, a good job and a very supportive wife so...  yeah... 

This forum has been really great with build threads, how-tos, techniques etc...  been doing a ton of reading on here, def worth the $20 membership.

]
] ]