Author / Post
Avatar User Offline ScottyDsntKnow
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: October/25/2019 at 1:24am  Quote

Quote: tubig
I have the -24 arc version. Gave it a cursory look over after getting it but has been back in the box since. It does look to be a good base for scaling out, however, I haven’t compared it to any specs for accuracy.

I emailed Tomas about it and he says he only has a few more.  I'm still figuring out how I'm going to ship this thing out here without it costing $700 to ship it so I won't be able to order it for another week or two...  My luck it'll sell out before then lol.  If its unavailable I'll probably go with the silver one.  

I'm not worried about it being super scale, I just want it to look "real" as in not printed skin on it.  

Shipping I'm either going to have it put in a container going from Miami to Seville, have an APO forwarding company re-pack it into 2 boxes, or just ship it to a family member and they can put it in their garage until I figure out what the heck.  That way at least I'll have it.  The B-24 is one of my favorite planes of all time and my favorite bomber and no idea if VQ will even do a second run of these after they all sell out.  

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of Taiwan Taiwan
IP Logged
Posted: October/25/2019 at 3:58am  Quote

Quote: ScottyDsntKnow
...or just ship it to a family member and they can put it in their garage until I figure out what the heck.  That way at least I'll have it.  The B-24 is one of my favorite planes of all time and my favorite bomber and no idea if VQ will even do a second run of these after they all sell out.

If you really want one that’s what you should do. I didn’t realize that this was a limited run only item. If the arc sells out, you could always get one of the covered versions and pull the covering. I will do that for the VQ 80” SBD that I have as well. Good luck with it!

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: October/25/2019 at 4:00am  Quote

The nice thing about ARFs is that they typically don't weigh much.  They just come in oversized boxes.  If you take a trip to the US, you could bring one back as "oversized, accompanied luggage" and probably not be charged anything extra.  In that situation, it would be worth inserting some ply planks inside the box...essentially building a skeletal box inside the cardboard one.  Some ARFs even come in quite sturdy shipping boxes.

Anyway, in short, bring it as luggage.  And if you can't make a trip to the US, buy a friend or a relative a round-trip ticket to Spain...which is probably less than $700...and have them bring it!

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: October/25/2019 at 5:19am  Quote

I'm not sure if it is a limited run item but I am not sure if/when VQ will be making more of these.  I don't want to assume.  I have also heard that the VQ covering can be a pain to get off as its not monokote or oracover its like... vinyl stick on?  I dunno.  

I'll get it one way or another...  The airline thing is a good idea, I had not thought of that although showing up and checking a huge box like that would be a pain...  And I'm not sure I trust Iberia not to lose it or break the crap out of it.  

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: October/25/2019 at 6:08am  Quote

I've lived overseas for going on 40 years and over the years have managed to bring several oversize boxes.  As far as breakage, well, we all know that putting a FRAGILE label on an item means absolutely nothing.  That's why I suggested inserting sheets of ply along the sides and top of the box.  Or "skin" the whole box on the outside with heavy duty (1" thick) corrugated cardboard.  Or you can take the approach that Indians often do and wrap the whole thing in a foam mattress.  (Seen that hundreds of times in flights out of the Middle East.)  You might still get some breakage but it should be something you can repair.  Anyone who can build a scale model can repair an ARF.

Tim ("tubig") managed to get a HUGE Skyraider ARF that I gave him (I won it in a raffle but only do WWI) from my house in rural Japan to his place in Taiwan.   The biggest problem was cutting down the height of the box so that it fit in the overhead on the train!   If I've learned anything about hauling stuff from one country to another, it's that where there's a will, there's a way.

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: October/25/2019 at 7:05am  Quote

Haha well that's an option, possibly having a friend throw it on a military transport is an option but that is so spotty and if the plane delays and it gets left on there and something happens etc... eh...  I do have training I can attend in Maryland on the USMIL dime in April...  if I can't figure out a cost effective way to get this sucker out here earlier than that I'll ship it to family in that area and pick it up then and figure it out.  The VQ box it comes in is very thick corrugated cardboard so it would honestly probably be fine thrown into a plane.  I just have no idea how you even check something like that.  Just check it?  Roll up to the check in with a big cardboard box and like "I want to check this"?

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: October/25/2019 at 8:23am  Quote

Quote: ScottyDsntKnow
I just have no idea how you even check something like that.  Just check it?  Roll up to the check in with a big cardboard box and like "I want to check this"?

Basically, yes.  Then they will tell you to take it to the "oversize" luggage check-in location.  This is where people check all kinds of things from golf-bags to surf boards.  They've seen it all and won't even bat an eyelash. 

PS.  Scotty Doesn't Know...great song from one of my favorite movies.  

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: October/25/2019 at 9:11am  Quote

Tomas is easy to work with relative to his holding something if he feels it is sold...
aka a nice down payment. I will probably see him later today at Jetoberfest at
Bomber Field. I'll see what ways this can be shipped from out in the sticks... 

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

]
] ]