Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Introduce Yourself>Hi Folks, just joined From the UK Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump  
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United Kingdom United Kingdom
IP Logged
Posted: November/07/2018 at 10:40am  Quote

Just found this site as I was looking for any possible info on building the VK (not later Proctor) Sopwith Camel kit. 

I have just picked up one of these and will power it with a four stroke glow engine.  Maybe an OS 70 or possibly a Laser.

I've quite a collection of models, I love WW1 biplanes and have many from the Flair Scout range, also a Balsa USA Niueport 17.

I got back into the hobby just last year after a lengthy lay off and have collected quite a bunch of models, I also enjoy refurbishing 4 stroke engines.

My flying has come on a bit since I started again, some great help from the guys in our local flying club means that I quite often take my models home in one piece instead of in many!

Anyway, back to the Camel......I'd love to hear from anyone who has built one, it doesn't look that complicated and will be something to do during the winter months. 

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Avatar User Offline Walter_Mitty
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: November/07/2018 at 3:43pm  Quote

Hi Paul ,

Welcome to THE BEST website , Ever !!

Sorry , i'm a WWII Fighter pilot , my avatar say's it all , really !! lol

Where are you , i'm equidistant from Old Warden & Duxford !!

Cheers

Phil

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: November/07/2018 at 7:08pm  Quote

Hi Paul, and welcome to RCSB.

AFAIK - Proctor did not change anything from the VK line.  I have the 1-1/2 strutter and it was relatively easy to build - added more detail than the original calls for (doubled flying wires, extra nose ribs, etc).  I have a Laser 80 in here, ample power, but I am pretty sure it is larger than the Camel.  A friend has an OS 70 Surpass in the Proctor Nieuport 11 and it flies fine.

May I recommend that you become a site supporter and start a thread on your Camel?  There is a Camel thread in the Proctor forum (I believe the builder is pgang) Here is some info on the Site Supporter program:  LINK

Once you start a thread on your build you will find lots of help!

Jeff

Let me know if I can help

Avatar User Offline Adam Chambers
Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: November/09/2018 at 11:38am  Quote

where are you in sunny uk?

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: November/09/2018 at 12:16pm  Quote

In South Northamptonshire near a town called Brackley

http://www.audicator.com

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: November/11/2018 at 12:53pm  Quote

Paul,

As with the other members, welcome to the site!  Yes, you've found the correct place to be and there's an incredible amount of information that is shared, as well as an equal amount of support and helpful guidelines.  I built a VK Nieuport 17 many years ago and still have fond memories.  I'm sure once you've joined the site, just about everything "explodes" in front of you with previous builds, thousands of photos of both models and real aircraft that were taken in extreme detail both on "how to" on the model and up close and personal with the real aircraft.  It's all here.  

I also share your enthusiasm for biplanes.  Just finished a (small) Guillow's kit of an S.E.5 that was super detailed beyond what the manufacture ever dreamed of.  I fabricated my own instruments that were unique to the S.E.5 right down to the curved copper plumbing o the fuel line and gimbaled compass and so much more.  A fellow member under the user name of Abufletcher is in the process of finalizing his Albaros D.II build to extremely high standards and yet he is down to earth, very friendly, very approachable, very enthusiastic on helping anyone regardless of their own personal building projects.  

We also have Ed, of Scale Aero who is an active vendor supporter of this site and can provide extensive guidelines on areas of competition, documentation, regulations, building hints, detailed photos of the full sized article (so do I) and so much more.  Jeff, who is a moderator, is an incredible resource of information, support and well, I could go on and on.  Guess what?  I've only been a member since the beginning of this year!  The learning curve is literally exponential in terms of help and support.  Everyone is extremely courteous, helpful, sometimes playful in a gentlemanly sort of way, sharing both our successes and our setbacks and we all learn from each other.

Personally, I've always been attracted to all manners of biplanes and those of British origin in particular.  Just the way they were designed and possess that "something unique" that sets them apart from others.  

Please join.  You'll never regret it.

Sincerely,

Skye

]
] ]