]
Author / Post
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: July/03/2018 at 11:08am  Quote

Quote: The Wirtzer
Abufletcher - I was an English teacher for Tokyo Metropolitan Government.  I lived there for 8 months a year and then spent 4 months on Chichijima island in the Ogasawara Islands group.  The schools on both islands were administered by Tokyo Metropolitan Govt.  I did that stint for 3 years and then went to Chiba to manage a private English language school.Tim

Tim, sounds like an interesting gig!  It's nice to know I'm not the only English teacher building model airplanes!  How did you get started with teaching EFL...and with modeling?  I built Guillow's stick and tissue airplanes as a kid, but once I moved overseas (to Saudi when I was 26) the model building took a back seat for a few decades. After a year in Saudi, my wife and I spent 3 years in Kuwait (me teaching at Kuwait University) then I took a job at Sultan Qaboos University in Oman so we lived there for seven years.  Somewhere along the way we had three kids.  Then for a change of pace, I took at job at a Mexican university in Guadalajara.  After two years there at a barely livable salary I know I had to find a "real" job again, so I responded to a job announcement at my current university.  They flew me over from Mexico for the interview and the family and I moved here a month or so after that.  And that was 20 years ago. 

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/03/2018 at 4:21pm  Quote

That’s great! I always wanted to go to the Middle East and Gulf States. Closest I got was India in my current job.

I began flying control line and building models when I was 12. My cousin and uncle were into it and taught me. Then my uncle taught me to fly RC when I was 14 and I was hooked. I built models in my dorm room at college. Last year in college I went on a study abroad program to Japan, Korea, Taiwan and Thailand. After graduation I went back to Thailand and became a Buddhist monk and an English teacher for a time. Then Gulf War I started and my parents got worried and I went back to Minnesota. Couldn’t find a job to save my butt and had student loans so waited tables and eventually ended up managing a local restaurant. After 3 years I saw an ad for the JET Program teaching English in Japan. I applied, got accepted and headed to Japan. On Oshima, since it was an island, I ordered a seaplane kit from the States, got an old radio set and engine from my uncle and I was back into RC. When I moved to Chiba to manage the private English language school, I made friends with the local RC store owner. He let me build planes in the shop at the back of his store and taught me more advanced building techniques, like glassing and painting, and helped me become a better flyer. That’s where I fell in love with the Kawasaki KI-61 and KI-100. Anyway, I stayed in Japan 9 years and then moved back here to MN. I am still in teaching/training and manage a training department for a health insurance company. I have a basement workshop where I build airplanes and furniture. I still go back to Japan every couple of years to visit friends.

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/04/2018 at 1:02am  Quote

Wirtzer, you are very lucky to have experienced such a diverse history of cultures that few people here in the States have.  It shows how the ignorant can truly expound on their "expert" opinion upon which they no nothing about.  Congratulations and I sincerely wish you and your model all the best success.  

Sincerely,

Gary (Skye)

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/04/2018 at 4:44am  Quote

Quote: The Wirtzer
That’s great! I always wanted to go to the Middle East and Gulf States. Closest I got was India in my current job.

I began flying control line and building models when I was 12. My cousin and uncle were into it and taught me. Then my uncle taught me to fly RC when I was 14 and I was hooked. I built models in my dorm room at college. Last year in college I went on a study abroad program to Japan, Korea, Taiwan and Thailand. After graduation I went back to Thailand and became a Buddhist monk and an English teacher for a time. Then Gulf War I started and my parents got worried and I went back to Minnesota. Couldn’t find a job to save my butt and had student loans so waited tables and eventually ended up managing a local restaurant. After 3 years I saw an ad for the JET Program teaching English in Japan. I applied, got accepted and headed to Japan. On Oshima, since it was an island, I ordered a seaplane kit from the States, got an old radio set and engine from my uncle and I was back into RC. When I moved to Chiba to manage the private English language school, I made friends with the local RC store owner. He let me build planes in the shop at the back of his store and taught me more advanced building techniques, like glassing and painting, and helped me become a better flyer. That’s where I fell in love with the Kawasaki KI-61 and KI-100. Anyway, I stayed in Japan 9 years and then moved back here to MN. I am still in teaching/training and manage a training department for a health insurance company. I have a basement workshop where I build airplanes and furniture. I still go back to Japan every couple of years to visit friends.

Tim, I figured you were probably in Japan on the JET program.  It's a great opportunity for recent grads looking for some Japan experience.  What was your major in college?  I was a German major and did a junior year abroad at a German university, but when I returned I found my German classes (which had because German literature classes) to be rather boring.  So I moved over to linguistics.  With my BA in linguistics in hand, I applied for a job at a language school in Osaka.  But I decided instead to go on with an MA in applied linguistics which seemed more marketable.  ESL jobs in the US (even bad ones were and still are) few and far between, so I started looking overseas.  I had taken Arabic and so I started looking in that direction.  The first job in Saudi was a joke but being down by the border with Yemen I had access to some impressive landscape and could go snorkeling in the Red Sea on weekends.  The company lost its contract and 10 months later I was teaching at Kuwait University.  Kuwait is pretty tiny so there wasn't a lot to do...especially back in 1985.  Luckily, I had moved on to Oman (which is a stunningly beautiful country with pleasant people) by 1988 and shortly afterwards the Iraqis invaded.  On the morning that the US forces finally launched their counter-attack, I was on assignment in Moscow as a photographer/writer for a Mexican magazine.  I was having breakfast in a small cafe when the chef, an enormous man with huge hands, came out, grabbed my hand, pumped it up and down saying: "Congratulations on victory!"  Later that day, I was on the Moscow Metro and ended up having a chat in Arabic with the guy next to me.  He was in Moscow as an exchange student.  I told him about my job in Oman.  Then we both got off and outside the station he was joined by several of his Arab friends.  First, just a couple, then a few more, then soon there were 20 or more.  I asked him where he was from and he told me Iraq and that he and his friends were going to go protest in front of the American embassy and that I was welcome to come along and photograph the protests.  Small world.  The only part of India I've been to (other than two days in Dehli) is Rajasthan which is somehow the least Indian part of India.  It actually seemed a lot like Oman.

In terms of my RC history that's fairly recent.  No one I knew was involved with it.  And radio gear at the time was very expensive.  Then in 2003 I was on sabbatical at UCLA and dropped by a hobby shop and saw full Rx/Rx/Batteries/Switch/Servo sets for less than $150.  I immediately bought a trainer and found an RC club and at the same time started to build my first RC model which was also my first scale(ish) model.  When I moved back to Japan at the end of the sabbatical I honestly didn't expect to be able to continue with RC.  I wasn't aware of any RC clubs anywhere in Shikoku.  Turns out there are about 5-6 scattered throughout the four prefectures.  I have to drive about an hour and a half to my field.

My son (back in 2004) with my first RC model, a semi-scale EIII.  BTW, this is in Southern California NOT the Middle East! 

Avatar User Offline John Baligrodzki
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/04/2018 at 6:44am  Quote

Tim,

I live across town in North St.Paul. Not sure if we have met? Do you attend the Minnesota Scale Flyers meetings, or the SMMAC warbird event in Owatonna? If so, sure we have at least said hello at some point.
Anyway this site is great. So far I have been a lurker, absorbing the creativity, knowledge and skill of this sites members. However this fall will start a slow build thread on 30.5% Miles Messesnger I have been working on. Will need alot of help and I know I can get it.

Have a good fourth holiday! Hope to meet you at some point!

John Baligrodzki

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/04/2018 at 11:22am  Quote

John, I’ve only been to one Scale Flyer meeting, the last one this Spring. There were some impressive planes there. I’m sure I’ve met you or at least bumped into you. If you go to the TCRC auction at all, I’m the dude people pay when the take their items home. I’m planning to go to the big fly in at Owatonna this year so maybe I’ll see you there.

Gary - I am extremely fortunate to have experienced long term stays in different cultures. It has opened my eyes to different thoughts and ideas and allowed me to meet some incredible people. I find I have a lot more in common, mannerisms and values, with the. Japanese though I am still very much an American in some respects.

Abufletcher - My major in college was Comparitive Religion with a concentration in Buddhism. That led to the monastic time in Thailand. The major never helped me in the job market but it sure helped me understanding cultures, including my own. The JET program is a great, safe way to get into Japan and I would encourage any college grad interested in Japan to apply for it. Much easier than going it alone.

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/04/2018 at 12:03pm  Quote

Sooo, how's the research into the Ki-100 comin' along?   LoL   Sometimes we all get caught up in such overwhelming events.  I am always trying to learn from people who have been abroad.  They bring back with them an experience that can only be lived, to be appreciated.  I envy you and Abu and many others for that experience.  There must be a university or library or some online service that has additional information on the aircraft you're modeling.  Abu provided a lot of info and should give you a springboard towards your build.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/06/2018 at 10:29am  Quote

Skye - the research is going.  I'm waiting to see if I get a response on laser cutting the formers and ribs.  That would save me a ton of time.  I have to dig out my documentation on the Ki-100.  Its in a box with my other documentation.  I have info on the JASM YS-11, the Ki-61, and some aerial photos of the Japanese F2 flying in front of Mt. Fuji that are all in the same box.  I was going to do that yesterday but it was the first really nice day here and I decided to take my 10-year-old flying instead.  Great decision!  We had a blast and he's getting better every time we fly.  

Tim

]
] ]