Author / Post
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: June/30/2018 at 8:13pm  Quote

Quote: abufletcher
Then it'll be back "home" to Southern Cal...where I haven't lived for nearly 40 years.<br>

From what I've heard from the Native SOCAL folks....you will hate it.
Sparky

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: June/30/2018 at 8:56pm  Quote

Anywhere in the US will be a shock after living in Japan.  Japan is like stuffing EVERYTHING that is visually and culturally interesting about the US into just California.  Still, I try to stay positive and tell myself that if I can't find interesting sights and experiences then that's a problem with me...not the place.

Moreno Valley, SoCal.  Off in the distance is the field for the Gilman Springs RC Flyers, the club I hope to join when I return.

Our house waiting for my return.

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/01/2018 at 2:36am  Quote

Abu: If that's truly your house, it's beautiful and I wonder who is managing it this whole time.  It looks like it's in Southern California.  Beautiful scenery on the field, especially with the dramatic sky in the background.

Wirtzer: if you've got a wealth of documentation of various Japanese aircraft, I'd be very much interested in what you have, particularly in photographs and some detailed drawings.  I've been collecting aircraft photos for Archival purposes for many years and donated thousands of air museums all over the U.S.including the U.K.  Not to distract you from your build, so if you feel like it, just give me a quick PM and we'll go from there.  Thank you

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/01/2018 at 3:54am  Quote

Quote: Skyediamonds
Abu: If that's truly your house, it's beautiful and I wonder who is managing it this whole time.  It looks like it's in Southern California.  Beautiful scenery on the field, especially with the dramatic sky in the background.

We totally lucked out on the house, buying at the very bottom of the housing market at at time when the yen was super strong against the dollar.  Who's managing it?  My wife!  She and my sons live in Moreno Valley and I get back to visit each summer.  We also have two guys renting rooms in our 5-bedroom house so that helps out with the financing. 

For an airplane enthusiast it's not a bad location.  About 20 minutes to the Gilman Springs RC club, 15 minutes away from March Air Museum, 35 minutes away from Planes of Fame and Yanks Air Museum in Chino, and a hour or so to the San Diego Aerospace Museum.  Oh, and then there's the Lyon Air Museum 40 minutes away near the John Wayne Airport.

Unfortunately, I'm on the wrong side of the  US to get to Rheinbeck, NASM, and all the great Dawn Patrol events.

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/01/2018 at 5:47am  Quote

Wirtzer,

This looks to be a great resource for your Ki-100 model. 

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=256

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/01/2018 at 10:58am  Quote

Quote: The Wirtzer
Nice to meet you. I was there for 9 years. In and around Tokyo and on Izu-Oshima. I used to fly out in Tonosho, in Chiba.

What did you do in Japan?  I'm surprised that you lived on Izu-Oshima.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/01/2018 at 11:18am  Quote

Hi Tim,

Welcome to the best scale building site on the web.  Not only are members of this site true masters at building scale planes of all types, everyone is more than willing to help out the less experienced builders on this site, like myself.  I am looking forward to following your KI-100 build.  It will be AWESOME to see another one of Merlyn's planes take to the skies.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/03/2018 at 10:43am  Quote

Abufletcher - I was an English teacher for Tokyo Metropolitan Government.  I lived there for 8 months a year and then spent 4 months on Chichijima island in the Ogasawara Islands group.  The schools on both islands were administered by Tokyo Metropolitan Govt.  I did that stint for 3 years and then went to Chiba to manage a private English language school.  

hrrcflyer - Everyone I've met here has been extremely friendly and helpful.  I haven't been this excited about building a model in years.  Can't wait to get all the stuff together and start.  Have to be patient.., have to be patient.., patience....  

Tim

]
] ]