Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Site Polls>What Size Model Is Your Winter Project? Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 12 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »
] ] ]
]
Poll Question : Tell us what size model you are building this winter
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [ 2.68% ]
59 [ 7.92% ]
158 [ 21.21% ]
508 [ 68.19% ]
You can not vote in this poll
]
] ]
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: November/27/2008 at 2:00pm  Quote

After the loss of the 140" L-4 on it's third and fatal maiden, I'm "scaling back" a bit.  Still recovering from failing to set the aileron travel correctly, and not realizing that the Frise ailerons were acting as very large brakes until the beast was in a final Figure 9 maneuver less than 1/2 a mistake high.  You know something is wrong if the engine is at full power and the model is slowing down, and I'd been off the sticks too long to have my head in gear.  The only bits salvaged were the servos, engine, receiver and batteries, and the IP.  All the bits have been tested/repaired where needed and put away for future use.  Thoroughly bummed.

I also need to clear out the shop to the extent possible, so I've collected all but the engine and prop assembly for a TF .60 Gold Edition P-51 with the B/C turtledeck option.  I've had that kit for over a decade now, and it's well past time to get it done.  Plain vanilla build, where the major wrinkle will be an RCV90SP engine with a Zinger 15-14 4-blade prop (if that will work).  A ho-hum everybody-has-one-of-those-stand-way-back "scale" models.

If that goes as planned, next up is a non-scale Blue Bird/Prettner Calypso '80s vintage pattern ship.  Everything for that model has been on hand for way too long, and 'the need for speed' has struck.  Rossi .60/pipe, Rohm retracts (howzzat for -old- ?), etc.  I'm no pattern flyer, but it's a really neat model that needs to be let loose.

The next large model will follow the Calypso onto the building table, and it will be an Apache based on an Aeroplane Works/Ziroli P-51.  Planning on adapting the Bates A-36 dive brakes to fit.  All the bits for that effort are on hand as well.

Somewhere in all that, I want to do a how-to thread on making dry-transfer graphics using the  http://www.pulsarprofx.com/decalpro/Vertical/1_MENU/1b_Overv iew/Overview.html  system.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: August/05/2011 at 3:26pm  Quote

Hi All

Well after having three large scale aircraft, one Proctor JN-4D Jenny which will be finished this week,"Highly Modified for Diaplay, Proctor Neiuport 28 C-1 build both posted under Proctor and a BF-110 I finally came to the conclusion that the big stuff is not for me. I'm going back to the 55 to 65 inch wingspan models which I can transport fully assembled to the field in my SUV. Plus I have so many kits from the 1940's through the 60's and 70's that I couldn't possibly build in my lifetime. If I really want to build a full blown scale ship with all the details, you can do the same amount of detail on the smaller size stuff as the big stuff, Please don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the Big Aircraft.

One problem with the really big aircraft is now the FAA, Airline Pilots Association and Congress is starting to look into putting restrictions on these planes. Several Airline Pilots were forced to make emergency go around's because some of the large airplanes from fields 3 or 4 miles from the Airport were mistaken for full size Aircraft in their direct path. If it turns out like it did in Australia, we're looking at the FAA controling our flying, that will not be good.

Well, that's my two cents worth, I hope I did not offend anyone, that was NOT my intention.

Have a Great Day Everyone and Build what YOU Like.

John Eberle

Montgomery, TX

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: October/17/2012 at 7:51am  Quote

This winter I'm going to finish my BUSA 1/3 Sopwith Pup and start on a 1/3 scale Ron Weiss Fokker Dr-1.

Mike

Topflite GS Corsair

Basic Member
Basic Member
Zero Killer
IP Logged
Posted: October/25/2012 at 1:25pm  Quote

.40 size SNJ-3 on the table.

Then .50 size F4U

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: June/28/2013 at 7:15am  Quote

I am hoping to start on my hellcat this winter. 80inch wingspan, fiberglass fuse from Bob Holman. Sierra retracts converted to electric. D.A. 50 or 60 haven't decided. First kit I will have built with a full cockpit and opening canopy.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Passed Away 2016
IP Logged
Posted: June/28/2013 at 8:00am  Quote

This year I will be doing a 40% Cessna L-27A. Construction should start in August if I receive the gear by then. In the meantime I have ordered the engines, drawn the plans, adapted for laser cutting, and ordered a custom set of gear. Here is a link to the build thread.

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2023 7&PN=1&TPN=1

Canadair 215 Water Bomber
BUSA 1/3 Nieuport 28
Thomas repair:1/4 Beech Starship
Repairing: 40% Cessna U3-B
Building:Kawasaki Ki-100 110"
NEXT:NorthropXB35

Avatar User Offline Warbird Flyer-cm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: November/05/2013 at 3:09pm  Quote

1/4 Scale Cessna 195 (109" WS) if I can ever finish my TF P47.

Hope to start it after the holidays, I'll start a build thread when I do, I'll be needing lots and LOTS of advise

Building: Hostetler Cessna 195 (LC-126)

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
The Young Gun
IP Logged
Posted: November/05/2013 at 7:05pm  Quote

I will be continuing the work on my Cessna 182 and I have been working on getting the plans made for a 1/4 scale PZL P.11c. If time allows I also have the plans for a Polikarpov I-152 at 67" span which I would like to make a little bigger and if I can work my way around a cad program I am looking at designing a LaGG-3.

Under Construction:
U-6A Beaver

]
] ]