Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Site Polls>Competition Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 4 Pages 1 2 3 4
] ] ]
]
Poll Question : Are you interested in scale competition?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
95 [ 48.47% ]
28 [ 14.29% ]
54 [ 27.55% ]
19 [ 9.69% ]
You can not vote in this poll
]
] ]
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Young Retireee
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: November/02/2006 at 11:38pm  Quote

I started flying a while back and was content to "Punch Holes in the Sky" as they say. Then I moved up to Oregon and got to see the "Proctor" guys fly and perform these graceful and methodic ballets in the air. At that point I decided then and there that the only way to get better at building and flying was to compete. Back then I was in the fun scale portion of the contest and came in last or next to last and relised how much I needed to improve my flying ability as well as in my building ability. The change in detail and adding of scale componenets is a great challenge. As for the "KISS METHOD" of competition flying you do not have to keep it that way. Sure you probably can do touch and goes all day with a trainer, but try the same meneuver with a plane that cost ten times more and watch you adrenaline and excitement rise. After a fairly long pause from flying and competing I paln to head back in full force (after I finish here in Iraq again), I already have a fellow making cad drawings for me of an (as far as I know)unseen plane on the competion circuit. Hope to see y'all out there....

Evans County, GA

AMA 46614

Gathering....Bates Moth Minor components.

On The Bench...?????

Flying...?????

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: February/05/2010 at 11:31am  Quote

Howdy All! I will hopefully 'compete' for the first time this year. 4 of us are doing this as an incentive to build. I'm not much for beauty contests (which require someone to vote you on the podium)- too subjective. I'll have fun with it, though. To me, competion is bicycle racing! The winner is the one who crosses the finish line first! I'm 'pack fodder' but it's fun!

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: August/16/2011 at 11:59am  Quote

Hi All

I started flying models when I was 5 or 6 years old, Control Line, Free Flight then RC as it became available. Starting with single Channel Escapements then Reeds and Proportional once Proportional became reliable, some of the early sets were Junk like the Sampy 404 which my Father and I sadly bought, I'm 67 years old. 

Back to the subject, 40 years ago I started to become heavily involved in competitionm mostly Pattern and Scale Aerobatics, I think this class is gone now. When I had my own Hobby Shop I sponsored contests and was also a Contest Director, obviously I did not compete in contests I sponsored or in which I was a Contest Director.

The Competition flying and then the Hobby Shop eventually almost ruined the Hobby for me. Even though I did  well in competition, it became a job, practice, practice and more practice. I got so burned out after many years, I quit flying models and only Built Models and concentrated on Full Size Aerobatics and Air Shows. After 7 years of Air Shows, it started to become a Job also and I stopped doing them, I also had a Wife and two young teen age children who needed who needed a live Husband and Father rather than a Dead one.

Model Flying used to be much more graceful and smooth than most of what I see today, 3D flying just, "Well", I won't go there. I feel models should be flown like their full size counterparts.

Building and Flying models is a HOBBY and should be FUN and relaxing, I feel the easiest way to kill the fun is Competition or turning it into a business. All Scale Competition is subject to the Judges opinion, many times the best plane on the field does Not Win simply because a couple of judges do not care for your style of aircraft, just a simple fact of life. The only kind of competition I would even consider anymore would be stand off scale Pylon Racing, "if this class exists", he or she who get's there first, WINS. 

Well, I've turned this into a book, However, these are my thoughts on Competition.

Have a Great day Everyone

John Eberle

Montgomery, TX

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

]
] ]