Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Site Polls>Competition Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 4 Pages 1 2 3 4
] ] ]
]
Poll Question : Are you interested in scale competition?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
95 [ 48.47% ]
28 [ 14.29% ]
54 [ 27.55% ]
19 [ 9.69% ]
You can not vote in this poll
]
] ]
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: July/17/2005 at 12:09pm  Quote

Dont forget the other option.

[ 21.62% ]

You can add my name to this category.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Admin Group
Admin Group
RCSB Owner/Founder
IP Logged
Posted: July/17/2005 at 12:38pm  Quote

I think Ed's query was to get in touch with folks that are interested in competing. Not everyone is interested in competition, that is understood (BTW mikester, you should know better than to say "NEVER" ;-)).

This thread is not a place to describe the technical aspects of competition or make your case why we should not have competitions. Let keep the thread on track.

Thanks,
Mike

Update Your Browser!

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/17/2005 at 1:01pm  Quote

I am interested in the scale competition aspects of the hobby.  I am finding it a little challenging to get my head around the necessary details for future competition phases (i.e. where docs are necessary).  However, there have been many on this site that have helped to clear things up a little bit.  I have also attended an event to get a sense of how it goes and what the expectations are at the event.  Now I just need to get a plane ready and begin competition in the fun-scale or sportsman ranks and see how it goes.

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: July/17/2005 at 1:18pm  Quote

While competitive scale modelers recognize and respect those who don't desire to compete, it seems focused forum discussions on the topic of competitive flying scale modeling brings out negative, argumentative posts intent on disruptive dialog instead of permitting discussion to follow the path the majority of the respondants indicate is a thread they want to expand upon.

Competitive flying scale modeling is a formally organized sport. A sport chosen by modelers as a pathway to learn and share modeling skills. Competitive flying scale modelers join in a community activity with those having common interests. That to not only fly in a scale manner, but to build models to meet prescribed levels of detail, commonly known as classes to compete with their peers.

Peers are grouped in multiple classes to prevent dominance by a modeler over other competitors based on their success competing. Competitors place out of Sportsman Sport Scale and must compete in a higher class defined by choice of construction method for the model they compete with...a commercial kit or a competitior's designed and engineered model within AMA or USSMA. FAI permits use of a kit or competitor's design but requires pilot to provide an index of all items within the model which are not created by the pilot.

Competing in no way demeans the sport modeler who doesn't care to be a part of the competitive flying scale modeling sport. By far, there are more non-competitive flying scale modelers. However, the number of competitive flying scale modelers is growing because it is natural to achieve one's best. Measuring one's best has always been part of achieving one's best.

Those who don't understand the sport of competitive flying scale modeling is an individual achievement measurement activity, somehow believe the sport is the comparison of one modeler's skill to another. One need only take the time to read the description of the sport to easily see how it is fun, not in any way a one to one participant comparison. It is...a modeling skill assessment at a personal level by comparison to published guidelines.

Avatar User Offline GhostRider2110
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime project, A-36
IP Logged
Posted: July/18/2005 at 10:04am  Quote

I plan on starting to do some competitive flying next year... with the goal of hosting an event within the next 2 years....   We have very few scale modelers or flyers at our club..   There are several who have sport scale planes but don't do much scale flying.. But we all do seem to get along...    We have one guy who only has small (60 size or smaller) scale/sport scale WWI and WWII birds.. He flies them very scale.. I believe he is the only one who is only scale.. He has no desire to compete.. He likes scale planes warbirds and likes to fly them... I do as well.. but also have some funfly planes and like flying that as well...

AMA 7548
GSWA WB251 10th AF
USSMA 358 Dir of Admin
opinion(s) expressed are mine not RCSB

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: July/18/2005 at 5:08pm  Quote

My hope is that our Division Director can eather do the job correctly or give it to someone else that has the time to devote.  there is no one that competes around my area, so I am blindly going it alone building a fun fly to compete somewhere in the midwest next year.  If it wern't for RCSB is wouldn't have a clue.

Avatar User Offline GhostRider2110
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime project, A-36
IP Logged
Posted: July/18/2005 at 5:31pm  Quote

Organize a Flyin Richard.. That is what I am going to do.. My plan is to organize a big flyin next year then add a compatition... I'm hoping to make it a major one for the region... Not that I have any experance in scale competition... but I'm sure if planned right I can get some expert help...    

AMA 7548
GSWA WB251 10th AF
USSMA 358 Dir of Admin
opinion(s) expressed are mine not RCSB

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: July/18/2005 at 5:57pm  Quote

Back up and run that over me one more time....

What AMA district are you in?

There are no division directors, however there are AMA district scale contest board reps whom are not interactive with the membership in their districts. Their original purpose was to represent you in matters of scheduling, rules cycles, etc.

The current list of scale contest board members is no longer available on the AMA web site. 

However, in recent years...without formal district activities and no one keeping pilot placement records to assure individuals compete in their proper classes... the job description of a district scale contest board rep has kinda sorta fallen throught the cracks... then USSMA stretches its legs...  

Seriously, to whom do you refer?

]
] ]