Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Site Polls>Competition Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 4 Pages 1 2 3 4
] ] ]
]
Poll Question : Are you interested in scale competition?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
95 [ 48.47% ]
28 [ 14.29% ]
54 [ 27.55% ]
19 [ 9.69% ]
You can not vote in this poll
]
] ]
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Mr. Mom
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: July/18/2005 at 6:03pm  Quote

good thread.  when I got into flying, it was never for competition.
when I got into scale, it was never intended for competition.

now, I still dont know about competition, but MAY try it someday.
I never looked at is my plane is better than Evan's, and they are,
but thats not the point.

the point is, I have fun just flying.  not competing.  I competed for years
when I was into show cars.  di that for 6 years.  got tired of it, because
I always one (no lie).  and yes, there where more than one car in my class

when I got into racing mountain bikes, I competed for 5 years.  up and down the state.  finished 4th in the State in 98.  In january 99, I broke my shoulder and
neck, well, I was told to quit racing

I got into planes, and from the begining, all I wanted to do was fly.  and than
build, and mostly have fun.  so, with that in mind, I dont want to compete
per se~, BUT some day I may.  It has never been a goal with my planes, to
beat someone else in competition.  I have done that too much in other areas before.

Ron "The Skipper" Berg

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Miller Lite Lover
National Flag of Australia Australia
IP Logged
Posted: July/18/2005 at 6:35pm  Quote

Hi all yes do we or dont we like the competition .....this is some views from down under ......i am president of the New South Wales Scale Aircraft Socity ....and we are having a great deal of trouble getting new scale builders and fliers as with all i would think, So we run a static and 5 flying rounds all around the state for the scale section and 5 flying rounds in the open section,this is to cater for the local fliers and a.r.f's. In all clubs we have a hot shot flier who pokes holes in the air and astounds the other fliers, and at some stage we all do this just let the hair down but with competition flying and in front of 3 judges it is a totally different type of flying disipline comes into it and you do become a better flier all round. We evan have a Military event in Wagga that has 2 flight lines and you are staticed and 3 flying rounds this competition attractes people from all over Australia (would it be simmilar to Top Gun) The competition side of flying is to better yourself each time you fly in front of judges so after 3 rounds over the w/end and you score better each time you should be satisified with your results next time out you try and do better again you might not take a trophy home but you have improved your flying and had a lot of fun doing it, i know there are trophy hunters out there there problem is if they dont take a trophy home they are hell to be with and they did not have fun, So  these are just my thoughts..............cheers John..........PS Todd did you track down a P-40 Spinner for me yet

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/18/2005 at 8:23pm  Quote

Here is my 2 cents worth...

I believe that people are intimidated by flying in competition for much the same reaon as people are intimidated by speaking in public. However, in general once they overcome this inhibition they find it can be quite a lot of fun. That is not to say that you ar not nervous, but nerves can sometimes be a good thing.

We had a US Scale Masters Qualifier in Austin, TX last year, and I prtically had to beg people to fly in the event   We had a Fun Scale class that is not as demanding. Even so, we did not have the turn out I had hoped for. I have toyed with the idea of coupling our scale competition with a fly-in, but haven't really figured out how to make the logistics work.

I want the extra challenge of competition because flying around and around is just not enough for me. I really struggled with taking the plunge and building a scale competition airplane. That is until Dave Plat told me that if my goal was to fly in competition I should take a straight line to that goal. I thought that was fairly profound

Jerry

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: July/18/2005 at 9:09pm  Quote

Actuallly, I was surprised to read your turn out was disappointing with the talent in Austin. Its been years since I treked to ARCs to the jet meets...aka wannabe jets back then...ducted fans.

The wealth of experience and knowledged in Austin contributed to the maturity of ducted fan technology and turbines thereafter.

If I may be permitted to reply...don't wait for a scale contest or fly-in to nurture your prospective participants. Begin a monthly dinner meeting composed of members of every club in Austin. Yes, there are those who feel they are above or better than what they THINK occurs at a scale contest. Ignore them and move forward.

Find somewhere that will permit you to conduct a dinner meeting for free as long as the attendees purchase dinner. Create an agenda which permits attendees to get involved...immediately. Provide a web site for the attendees to communicate within...this one for example.

Ask everyone attending to tell their story....what excites them about scale, what they want to learn more about. That is the meat for the future meetings. After an initial meeting, step back and compose the second meeting by taking what the initial attendees contributed and stated they wanted to learn...reach to the bio of each attendee and extract the skills from their statements.

Staying focused on what the attendees want to accomplish will yeild great results and each person attending will bring someone else with them the next time...if you suggest it to the group.

I started with ten and we sustained an average of 15 per meeting for a year. It does work...the oil field crunch shut it down back ten years ago. I am about to go do it again...here in Houston so we can conduct another qualifier as we have for the last ten years...alternative between Fort Worth and Houston with the TSC for six of the ten years.

If you need help, don't hesitate to ask.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Moosehead Drinker, Airplane Tinker
National Flag of Canada Canada
IP Logged
Posted: July/18/2005 at 10:40pm  Quote

While I think that competion is great for those who have a competative nature, it's just not for me. I still prefer a "scale fly-in" rather than a competition. Seems there is generally a better turn out than at competitions (around here at least). I enjoy the relaxed atmosphere.

Don't get me wrong, I've flown models in competition in years gone by, but these days I just prefer to hang out, chat and fly.

IMHO there is still alot to be gained with regard to the sharing of knowledge and challenging yourself without competition.  

However, if you're thinking about trying competition I say "go for it"....you'll never know till you've given it a try!  

Cheers, Nigel

"My ex-wifes hate airplanes"
www.tarvinmodelproducts.com

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of Belgium Belgium
IP Logged
Posted: July/19/2005 at 4:19am  Quote

I've been entering scale competitions since 1979 (open international, Belgian championships, European- and World Championships, World Jet Masters) and  I've been to some (scale) fly-in's.
To me both are very different.
Many of us could write a book about the pro's and con's for both categories, but there's no point to that, we all must do what we like or prefer and not judge the category we don't like (or know), although it makes me sad to realise that there are many beautiful scale models in Belgium that never make it to this level.
My motivations for entering cometition are plenty.
- Most important: the meeting people with very similar intrerests, the making of new and the meeting of old friends always work for me.
- Second comes the competition aspect, but against yourself and not against someone else. To my knowledge there are hardly any such feelings in scale competition, but you do have to overcome your own fears and nerves (after 25 years they still are there before and during every competition flight - it is very hard to fly even the simplest manoeuvres accurately under stress and scrutiny from a panel of judges and your fellow competitors). But the feeling of relief and satisfaction and the appreciation you get after a good one are difficult to describe.
- I have learned a lot there on human behaviour, building techniques, model flying and ... stress management!
- In some ways it has (re)formed my character: entering competition is building and flying scale models the hard way. I have to motivate myself before each event and before each flight during the event (the feeling of "Why do I do it?"). This, combined with the effort it takes to build and maintain a good model, makes that I don't often back out of something once I've started.

But like I mentioned earlier, we have to practise scale building and flying in the way we feel the most fun and satisfaction.

One thing is certain though: it is the ultimate form of aeromodelling!

Guest Group
Guest Group
IP Logged
Posted: July/20/2005 at 2:13pm  Quote

If I can put my .2 cents on that touchy subject: I have never flown in scale competition, the only competitions I have been involved in with models was slope soaring. I have been spectator of a few FAI competitions in France, and I think never since I am here in the US.

Like many, I am attracted to scale from the very beginning, dreaming to fly Spitfires, Messerchmitt and Tempests, after reading for the 3rd or 4th time Pierre Closterman tales of his flights and fights, when I was about 14 or 15 years old.

I guess the big difference between competition and "fun-fly" is not that much into the flyingpart of it, but into the "reference" part. I mean, what does "scale" means ? How do you know something is "scale", if you don't compare it to some original, full scale subject ? Anyone can say that he has built and fly the "ultimate" scale model, as long as nobody can check this fairy tale against some objective sources. And to me, that's all what the rules are for: Establish a way to compare a model as objectively as possible (it's always subjective, at the end) against the full scale subject.

Part of the problem, as I saw it previously in France, was that too many judges have not seen enough full scale meetings to know how the real thing is supposed to fly, but I guess that's another story....

I know that, for me, when I will feel it's time to start competing, the problem will be in the references/documentation part (assuming I build half decently). This site is a wonderfull ressource, for motivation, ideas, tricks, etc. Flying a program is matter of training, given enough time, that should not be a too big deal, but having a correct file, and understanding how it upgrade or downgrade static judgements is the big unknown.

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of Australia Australia
IP Logged
Posted: July/21/2005 at 4:36am  Quote

Am I interested in competition - yes absolutely.  In my opinion it improves your flying, improves your buiulding ability, improves your ability to get your act together & operate your model in a proffesional manner.  Any competition improves the breed. 

Is competition for everyone?  No. - John.

]
] ]