Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Introduce Yourself>Coming back after long absence, maybe? Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 2 Pages 1 2
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: May/11/2022 at 8:46pm  Quote

Army;

May I join Ed & Jeff in welcoming you to our site. I see you have already joined the site & ready to put your “foot to the pedal” or your hands to advance the throttle. As time goes on you’ll get to know us as we know you. Jeff is right, we’re more of an extended family.

Just put your word out where you wish to go. The unique retracting gear of the Wildcat has been my stumbling block too. I’ve been tempted to buy those Wildcat kits, throw away the model & keep the gears.   I’d love nothing more than to model a Grumman J2F-5 Duck biplane with its unique folding gears. Until that magical moment of those unique retracts becoming available without costing an arm, I’ve decided on modeling other aircraft.

This site is devoted to scale modeling in which the builder is encouraged to try his / her best at replicating then full sized aircraft.

I’m 73 & retired. Upon retirement, I set about to have just two goals: 1) build as many (scale) models as possible & 2) be a nuisance to my lovely wife. So far I’m meeting my objectives on schedule… ;0).

I tend to focus on the super detailing build aspects of modeling. I only have a few common household tools but lots of imagination. My Guillow’s Mustang ( yep, a Guillow’s) featured infilled fuselage, detailed wheel wells, cockpit interior & detailed machine gun bay. The whole model was covered with Ed’s Flite Metal in a highly polished aluminum finish.

I also have a collection of detailed b+w photos of various aircraft that were taken with the modeler in mind. So if you have a particular aircraft you’d like to build, I might be able to provide you with detailed photos ….. all free of charge.

We’re honored that you have chosen to be with us.

Cheers,

Gary

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: May/12/2022 at 5:44am  Quote

Century Jet and Robart make two different styles of Wildcat gear.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: May/12/2022 at 6:38am  Quote

Retired Air Force here (73-94).  A military career can be tough on an RC hobby.  The frequent moves tend to keep the hanger collection small and basic.  And where RC Planes use to be welcomed on military bases, today they're basically taboo.

Now Medical issues have hampered my participation for the past 9 years.  But on this site you have a group of guys who will help and encourage you without end.  Just toss your questions out, someone will pick up and answer.

For now I'd say get yourself a decent radio that can grow with you.  Then find a trainer to build and fly.  Sig is still around and they offer some good choices.  Then cover yourself in balsa dust, sniff some non-toxic glue and enjoy yourself. 

And welcome back!

Avatar User Offline Army Retired
Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: May/13/2022 at 10:16pm  Quote

Not RC related, but also shows some of my background.

My “retirement” project I ended up making early during the beginning of Covid when the Army made us stay home: M1 Garand crate coffee table build

Here’s some of the detailing I did on it: “Scale” details from coffee table build

I had some basic woodworking instruction when I was in jr. high school. There are some design errors that I made that an experienced furniture or cabinetmaker would cringe at…like securely fastening boards to each other at right angles with no way for the differential expansion to relieve itself. No cracks yet though and it’s been two years. Fingers crossed!

I've got a CNC machining center and turning center and much of the support equipment required to run them in a 30’x40’ shop in my front yard. I even designed and made the .22 LR rifle action I shot during the 2012 London Olympics.

I just need to remember how to work balsa!

]
] ]