Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Introduce Yourself>Returning after a long assignment Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump  
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Avatar User Offline davidterrell80
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: September/15/2012 at 8:01pm  Quote

Howdy,

My name is David Terrell. I currently live in Herndon, Virginia; where I work as a contractor, supporting a government agency... one of them "beltway bandits" you hear about.

For almost 20 years, before the events of 2001, I worked as a manufacturing engineer in aerospace. For most of those years, I worked for Bell Helicopter, in Fort Worth, but I also worked for Martin Marietta Denver and Lockheed Martin in Georgia. I helped build a bunch o'stuff, from the Manned Maneuvering Unit to the V-22 Osprey. The "war on terrorism" brought me into active military service and, after retiring from the Naval Reserve, I've stayed involved as a contractor.

I am reentering the hobby after some 25 years of taking care of a child with serious medical issues. Against all medical expectations, my son is living independently. God has been good to me.

Long ago, I was very active in rubber powered scale free flight. Now, I'm back and my, how the hobby is changed.

I started flying with Ultra Micros, a HZ Champ and a PZ UM T-28. They have been a great deal of fun. I have also purchased the BuzzBomb 100 kit from Stephen's Aero, to get back onto building. I really like it.

I graduated to the larger Park Flyer T 28 and have enjoyed it, too. I've bought the UMX Mig 15 & UMX Carbon Cub and, like many people, experienced the servo problems that seem endemic to that aircraft.

I went ahead and bought the subscription service from Stephen's Aero and I am beginning to receive the kits that are part of the subscription. I purchased enough ultra microelectronics to keep five in the air.

My first scratch build was the Polaris Seaplane Park Flyer. It has proven to be most enjoyable. I'm just finishing a fun scratch build. It's actually a 100% scale flying replica of a toy C-119 I received for Christmas in 1963. So it's "scale" of a real plane... just not of a real plane. The build thread for it is at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1703405.

My next project, as I return to scale, will be taking a raw, foam GWS Zero and finishing it out as a Rufe, the floatplane variant. I don't know if that's sophisticated enough for a build thread here... the idea seems sorta... sophomoric... for the subjects of the builds I've looked at thus far.

All in all I expect I will be more of a builder than a flyer. I do enjoy the flying, don't get me wrong. But I'm also an artist (landscape paintings and sculpture in soapstone, jade and marble) and, part of me sees these planes as flying sculptures.

You'll probably notice that I will tend to build Naval aircraft. Being a retired naval reserve officer tends to do that to you.

One last thing, I live about 2 miles from the Smithsonian's Air and Space Udvar Hazy Center and any excuse is reason to go. If there's something in the museum that I can go and photograph on your behalf, just let me know. I'll do my best.

David

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: September/15/2012 at 8:55pm  Quote

David, welcome to the site and congratulations to your son!

And thanks for becoming a site supporter.  The conversion of a zero to a rufe sounds interesting, I would enjoy seeing it.  ARF bashing has become as popular as kit bashing used to be, it really is amazing to see what some folks can do with them.

And thanks for your service - all of it!

Let me know if I can help

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Passed Away December 2016
IP Logged
Posted: September/16/2012 at 2:24am  Quote

Welcome David.

I just read your C119 thread on RCG. The whole concept just made me grin all the way through it.

You've obviously got some skills, and no small amount of imagination.

I'd like to see the Rufe conversion as well.

Don

Queue: Bates F8F; Robart P47, AMR 33% Waco
Sunny San Diego

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: September/16/2012 at 8:15am  Quote

Jeff & Don,
Thanks for the kind welcome and comments.
I hope I can be a contributing part of the Scale Building and Flying Community.
Small steps...
David

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Passed Away December 2016
IP Logged
Posted: September/16/2012 at 8:58am  Quote

David,

I had never heard of Stephen's Aero, so...your post already cost me more than $250.

Sooo...you're already contributing to the economy.

Queue: Bates F8F; Robart P47, AMR 33% Waco
Sunny San Diego

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: September/16/2012 at 9:21am  Quote

Please post the Rufe conversion... or is it Zero conversion? Welcome aboard! Remember... Talk Like a Pirate Day is Wed Sept 19 !!!

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: September/16/2012 at 10:56am  Quote

Michael, `Tis good t' meet ye. I actually made a 20-inch WS, stick&tissue rubber scale example o' yer "avatarsake" in 1984. 't flew very well until a three-voyage old grabbed 't off th' work table wi' both hands an' began t' devour 't. Ya scallywag whut deserves the black spot!

Don, I think you'll be pleased with StevensAero quality. I have been.

]
] ]