Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Introduce Yourself>Back from a long absence. Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 4 Pages 1 2 3 4
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: November/04/2021 at 1:40pm  Quote

A little or maybe to much about myself. My name is Trevor but I'll answer to just about anything.
 I started in the hobby really young. I had an uncle that built beautiful planes and he started me building with a Goldberg Jr Falcon. I did u control also, Tried with the Cox planes and did not care for that much. then thru my uncle I found the u control Kits. I was from a small town back then and the only access to the hobby really was RCM magazine and my Uncle, no one seemed to be doing this stuff like where he lived in Tacoma. He had hundreds of planes and kits of all types. The upper floor of his house was covered in planes he won awards for all covered in Plastic. Needless to say I was hooked. 
 I went into the service when I was 18 and was an Aircraft structural mechanic with HMA-369. Things were going very well for me rising in the ranks and loving my job. Then there was an accident that left me with a TBI and a Broken neck in two places, Life suddenly changed! When I was discharged  I could not do much so I picked up building planes where I left off. Got a Job at Cub Crafters and continued on as if nothing happened. That lasted a while until the effects of my accident too hold. I found basic tasks almost impossible to do.  
 An old man that had a little hobby shop helped me with the hobby. I would build a plane for him to hang and sell and he would provide me with an identical kit, That was great as money was tight. I kept flying and building. Slowly though I came to realize I was having a hard time holding my head up to fly and had to give up the hobby. I kept building though, I would build and cover a plane run it to the field and sell it that day. That kept me going for a while until I hit burnout. From there I went into Scratch building huge warships. 8 plus foot Destroyers and such. I sold those and had a nice down payment for my first house. Still missing flying I did RC Tanks and Trucks but just could not get excited. Fast forward several years and my wife asked why I did not fly anymore. She had noticed that I am not having the trouble that I used to have with my neck. So here I am again, Starting over from Scratch with really nothing left but a few odds and ends and a plane I retired years ago, An old Sr falcon with its Orbit servos. I actually retired that plane several years before I quit flying but kept it for some reason. I have been lurking around this site off and on for several years building from time to time for other people, but now I am going to build for myself once again and fly, something I have missed doing for some time now. I am a Scale builder, My ships brought that out in me as for planes Scale where I can but more about function overall. In one form or another I do have 43 Years of building and just can not let it go.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: November/04/2021 at 2:33pm  Quote

Trevor, welcome! This is a great site for any flying model (preferably scale). You can find just about anything you may be interested in. I am the same way as you; I always feel the need to build something! Keeps me mentally and physically occupied. Please visit and post often. Lane

There are always TWO sides to every story. Proverbs 18:17
Current Projects
Ziroli Hellcat
BlackHorse Corsair ARF

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: November/04/2021 at 2:34pm  Quote

Wow!  Welcome back. 

I too have health issues that hamper me with both building and flying.  So I feel your pain so to speak.  But for some reason we seem to keep going.

Orbit servos?  Been a day or two for those.  As I'm sure you're finding out a lot has changed in the hobby in recent years.  My suggestion would be if your budget allows, replace your radio with something current.  You won't have to spend a bunch and sometimes you can often find a good deal in a used radio.

Last but not least, if you haven't already, get with a group/club.  They'll help you get up to date on things and back in the air.  And feel free to ask any questions here.  A great bunch of very talented guys here who will astound you with their building skills.

Again, welcome!

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: November/04/2021 at 2:45pm  Quote

LBJ, Thank you and I have been following along with several threads for years off and on, Yours included, Great Job on your DVII maiden.

Appowner, Thank you.
 I have been active off and on for years, Building but not flying. That old Orbit is my reminder of how far things have come, It is funny though that Prices for radios have not moved much, I saved along time for that Orbit LOL. I have been staying current with new FAA Guidelines as well as new tech. It is mind boggling the changes that have taken place since I built and flew my first planes and even since I hung it up. I was still flying on 72 MHz! Not anymore though.

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of Australia Australia
IP Logged
Posted: November/04/2021 at 5:36pm  Quote

welcome back to our great addiction mate!

We all have a few heath issues as we get older, eyesight, ulnar nerves causing havoc and the dreaded black dog.

keep doing what makes you smile

cheers
Peter

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: November/04/2021 at 6:53pm  Quote

Thank you PeterOZ!
 You got that right! It is an Addiction! 
Thanks again Peter I look forward to being a part of this community and learning whatever I can.

Avatar User Offline Planecrazy200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Scale Head
IP Logged
Posted: November/04/2021 at 7:02pm  Quote

Welcome back Trevor! I agree with the above about this being an addiction but for me the only health issue that I had didn't hamper my ability to build. I am 57 so the issues will start to creep in shortly but we adapt and push on! 

Built...still counting! Let you know when I retire.
Building H421-C,YZero,FWTA-154
Next Up Macchi 202,R C500 enlg,125"

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of Australia Australia
IP Logged
Posted: November/04/2021 at 7:06pm  Quote

I'm 60, think I am 18 till I do a heap of heavy garden and yard work then my back reminds me.  Thank goodness for alky hole!!

]
] ]