]
Author / Post
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: July/14/2021 at 10:41am  Quote

Hello All,
A short intro from North Carolina.  A local RC club member suggested this site and I'm looking forward to my first scale project.  I have an Extra 300 on the bench now so another aircraft will have to wait for a little while.  Gives me some time to read the wealth of info here !  Been flying RC for around 35 years now and the last 11 or so in the IMAC and Pattern world.  I have a good amount of building experience with aircraft that have box sides and foam cores where curves are necessary with vacuum bags to attach the skins.  Have not done any of the rounded fuselage aircraft nor do I currently have the skills developed to do all the scale details.  Scratch building from plans hasn't happened on my workbench - yet !

I've always been impressed with the workmanship displayed in scale models and the airmanship that goes along with flying 'on the wing' versus 'on the motor'.  I prefer large aircraft and am looking forward to gaining the skills necessary to complete a model competently and successfully (meaning that it flies well).  Probably won't compete in scale but as a competitive person I won't rule it out.

My target scale project is some flavor of Corsair although that won't be the first model (or two) as that's a bit too ambitious for me and my skills right now IMHO.

Looking forward to meeting everyone (virtually or in person) and enjoying the scale world.

Best regards,

Steve

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: July/14/2021 at 11:26am  Quote

Hi Steve - welcome to RCSB!

You're smart not to choose a real heavy-metal subject right off the bat - there are plenty of trainer and liaison aircraft that would be a good start, with rounded fuselages.

Do look at the site supporter program, you are already aware of the wealth of content here, the site supporter program includes lots of perks besides

Let me know if I can help

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/14/2021 at 12:17pm  Quote

Welcome!
My advice would be to consider anything that is designed by Nick Ziroli. Nick designed, built and flew his designs before they were marketed, and his designs fly well. 

My second bit of advice would be to find a model you wish to build , then locate and READ all the published build threads for that model. It is in my opinion mandatory research before you begin. 

I'd also suggest you START YOUR OWN build thread so modelers can follow your progress as well as give you advice and tips as your build progresses.

I have 2 build threads on RCSB, they are

"Sandy 2 by the hobbyguy" and "hobbyguys Ziroli Corsair build". Both can be seen under Ziroli Plans.

Enjoy all the great people that make this the BEST site for scale RC model building!

Ed

Flying 43% Kam Aero Extra 300, 40% Carden Midwing Extra, BUSA 1/4 scale Fokker DVII, Ziroli Skyraider, getting ready to maiden a Ziroli Corsair and H9 Fokker DVII this year.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/14/2021 at 12:21pm  Quote

Hi Steve -

Glad you decided to join the site.  You will be amazed at the wealth of knowledge that is readily shared here.  If there's anything I can do to help, just give me a shout.

Fellow club member,
   Greg

Ziroli Stuka
     Ziroli Zero
     Top Flite Stinson

Avatar User Offline Chris Kimball
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/14/2021 at 1:30pm  Quote

Steve , From one  North Carolinian to another "Welcome aboard " 
You've made a great first step into the scale world by joining up here . There are countless threads to guide you along and they will help you to attain the answers and skills you desire . Find a subject of your choice and study any related threads to find your solutions  . The answers are most likely here somewhere .
Happy building !

Building: Newman Storch

Avatar User Offline Planecrazy200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Scale Head
IP Logged
Posted: July/14/2021 at 2:23pm  Quote

Welcome Wingtwister to the best site for scale rc! You are right in saying that you have time to read the builds because you WILL need time to read them all! Lots of help here so if you have a decent amount of building experience jump into your next project as you will find all the help you need here. As far as meeting everyone here, well we may as I am moving to NC in the near future. Need to shed these NY tax dollars and turn them into hobby cash! 

Built...still counting! Let you know when I retire.
Building H421-C,YZero,FWTA-154
Next Up Macchi 202,R C500 enlg,125"

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: July/14/2021 at 5:50pm  Quote

Wingtwister

Welcome onboard.
Obviously building and prototypical flight routines are ahead for you...with an aerobatic capability.

(1) Round fuselage 

(2) Subject not seen everyday  

(3) Uncomplicated wing design 

(4) Documentation availability 

(5) Mechanically uncomplicated 

(6) International competition successful designs by Jerry Bates  Our resident designer...

1/3.8 Scale Wingspan: 90”
Length: 60” Wing Area1905 sq. in.
Weight: 35 lbs. Power: 33cc – up

Two drawings 36” x 68” for the wings, tail feathers, and formers for a fiberglass fuselage model.

Laser-cut short kit available from Pat Fallacaro at Lasercut USA pjf610@Yahoo.com and Bob Holman Plans bhplans@aol.com

Fiberglass fuselage, belly pan, both style cowlings, flat and bubble canopies available from Vic Catalasan vic@vicrc.com
Water jet cut brass hinges available from Sam Wright sam-w@cox.net

Click pic to see details and to order...

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/14/2021 at 5:54pm  Quote

Thanks for the welcome ya'll.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  Trouble is there are so many aircraft out there to model that making a choice is difficult.  I'll warn ya'll in advance to get ready for the proverbial 'dumb' questions as I'm sure I'll have many.

Thanks.

]
] ]