] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United Kingdom United Kingdom
IP Logged
Posted: November/23/2020 at 11:34am  Quote

Hi all I hope you are all safe and well.  So the Fokker build has begun along with a probable slow decent in to madness  .  I wasn't sure where to start a build thread so I will start off here then put it where it needs to be later.  I have managed to build the rear horizontal stabilizer, rudder and elevators.  It looks like everything went OK as it lines up with the plans although some of the joints have small gaps and a corner fill in bit twisted ever so slightly on one elevator.  It sticks up less than 1mm in the corner.  I used superglue to stick everything together so my 1st question is do I need to do anything more glue wise?  I have some wood glue as well as epoxy ready if needed.  I am taking pictures as I go so will post when I know where to post them and figure out how to reduce the size.  Here is the current battle score;

Things stuck to the plans: 2
Things stuck to my fingers: 1
Fingers almost stuck together: 4

Stay safe everyone

Andy

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: November/23/2020 at 11:44am  Quote

Hi Andy, sorry to bear not so good news but I tend to glue my balsa parts together using a PVC adhesive because Cyano (Superglue) although it is very quick, it is also very brittle, therefore when wings flex the glue tends to break on the joint. Don't worry though, I do suggest you go over a few joints with some PVC type glue but not too much as you need to keep your tail weight as light as you can otherwise you will be needing a lot of weight up front to balance her out on the CofG which becomes dead weight thus increasing the overall weight of the model. The type of woodglue I and many others use is Titebond or Titebond II which you can easily order online. Slightly more expensive than others but extremely good!

1mm slight difference on the elevator, don't fret too much as you will use a lot more elevator on that model! I have wavy elevators on my 1/3 scale Fokker DVI and she flies great!!

Cary

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: December/09/2020 at 2:27am  Quote

Hi All, so it has been a busy few weeks workwise however I have managed to get the fuselage pretty much done.  It is probably not the best job in the world as the panels at the front have a few gaps and high spots.  Nothing that a bit of filler and some sanding wont fix and it does look pretty straight.  I seemed to have issues with things moving even when they were clamped.  What worked best for me was to use the wood glue to start the process then 'Tack Weld' in place with a spot of super glue then clamp where possible.  This is my 1st time so I am expecting a few errors to creep in but hopefully not ones that bite me in the butt later.  I had to deconstruct the landing gear strengtheners twice as I misread the instructions then forgot there was a left and right hand pair (DOH!!).  I reassembled all ok even the one that broke.  On this note I must say that Gorilla wood glue it quite impressive. It is almost epoxy like when dry and it is very quick with most things locked in 10 mins or so.  The only downside is the sandability is not so good.  Its tough but at least it doesn't clog the sandpaper.  I found using a blade to gently pry big blobs off worked great.  It also dries clear.
  So wings are next which are scaring me a little but will update after the 1st set are done.
Stay Safe everyone
Andy

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

]
] ]