Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Scale Events>Event Advertising Ideas and best pratices Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: October/14/2018 at 6:24pm  Quote

They are all in the AMA sanction calendar, so yes to that part. 

Flying:Merlyn Graves Ki-100, Ziroli B25, BUSA 1/3 Stearman,1/3 N28, 1/3 Pup,27% Gee Bee Sportster, Sig 1/3 Spacewalker, WH 27% Bird Dog

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: October/14/2018 at 7:42pm  Quote

If they are all fly-in's they are most likely class C - I don't think AMA pays too much attention to "protected drawing areas" for class C.
Our contest coordinator here in District X is good about sending out a tentative schedule based on the previous year, and those of us within a fairly small radius coordinate among ourselves.

Your contest coordinator should have done the same thing and at least alerted you guys,

Let me know if I can help

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: November/12/2018 at 11:38am  Quote

A little late to this.  Here is a copy and paste from the "Contest and Directors Guide", pdf 322. 

PROTECTED DRAWING AREA
The base on which the system is built is that of protected drawing area. Actually, this should be interpreted as modeler population, but this is very difficult to use, even in the most general sense. Only after years of experience in a certain district can a coordinator develop a feel for who flies what and lives where. It is hoped that those coordinators who have developed this information will use it rather than rough area measure, which we propose here.
In general, on the same date, there should be at least the following distances separating contests:
Class A, C;     100 miles
Class AA;       300 miles
Class AAA or AAAA   450 miles
(These distances should be scaled down in high-population-density areas and should be scaled up in low-population areas.)

If they were all Class C events, 100 miles isn't that far between some clubs.  Issues or questions contact your Contest Coordinator to find out how he is doing it.  If all else fails contact your District VP .

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: November/23/2018 at 6:13pm  Quote

I try to attend most events south of I4 in Florida. That makes it about a 300 mile or less range.. most events down here are class C fly-ins. Its always the same crowd of people at every event... if we schedule on top of each other then all we do is hurt our own attendance. Seems crazy.

Flying:Merlyn Graves Ki-100, Ziroli B25, BUSA 1/3 Stearman,1/3 N28, 1/3 Pup,27% Gee Bee Sportster, Sig 1/3 Spacewalker, WH 27% Bird Dog

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: November/23/2018 at 6:28pm  Quote

Quote: Teus
We as the Dutch Dawn Patrol group have made embroidered patches, every pilot can buy them for the cost price of €5,00 each and some we give away for help etc. This is the price each from a small company here in the Netherlands and is including setup etc, no extra costs...... Everybody like them very much.

For info: Click

I love my Dutch Dawn Patrol patch.  Problem is that I love it SO MUCH that I can't decide what jacket to sew it onto!!!

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: November/23/2018 at 8:47pm  Quote

First: Get to know your District Event Coordinator. Class C won't get you any protection, especially in large metro locations...just too many people flying and typically they won't cross town traffic. Houston has had as many as 63 AMA clubs within an hour and a half of downtown. 

Getting to know who your event coordinator is will permit you to learn who's hysterically historical event gets protected so you are not surprised by no one but the usual crew showing up. This is extremely important if you are wanting to make $.

This brings me to the next element of your event. Who's paying the bill? Sponsors within the hobby industry these days are good for glue, an occasional hat, T-shirt, spinner, or in the case of a scale contest Frankie's good for a walk around the walls in his shop and shipping a scale contest a nice box of goodies...and of course Pacer products.

Seriously, who's paying the bill?

I hinted relative to a scale event. Don't count on a lot from manufacturer's late in the year. They plan their promotional budget six to ten months in advance. I don't care if your event is in October...send your "written" formal inquiry in a personal manner to the owner of the manufacturer/distributor no later than November prior to your event. They budget spending money... 

1. In the letter explain in four sentences what segment of the hobby you are attracting.
2. Explain the draw at previous event of this same type at "your" field.
3. List the class or number of awards/prizes you plan to give participants.
4. Provide the estimated (truth) number of spectators attending the event in previous years.

You didn't see anything about how the event was to be paid for did you..... That's because you have to work up a realistic budget...not kinda sorta throw the event and its budget together in the hope "they will come"...especially spectators. Ah,the core of financial sponsorship lies in the demographic of your spectator. Potential $ sponsor is going to "see" the return on their investment in your toy airplane gathering. (Think about that a moment)

After working up an event budget, deciding on what awards/prizes you would "like" to be able to present to pilots for whatever...go for the gold...its in your back yard.

Go see your local Economic Development Council. Every community has one, typically comprised of "old money" with long tenure in your immediate location and even county wide in rural areas. If you are in a metro area this can be successful if you have a club meeting to find out who in your club knows whom would be an inside straight to your Economic Development Council. Who's the elder club member with the longest tenure? Acquiring $3k to $4k is a common figure the EDC will entertain...plus advertising which comes along with it free of charge...

County Commissioners need to justify their elected positions witnessing and "helping" community organizations...especially where family recreational activities are concerned. They can go a long long way toward contributing to the physical attributes of your flying location and amenities at it. There is always public land in need of improvement and baby sitting.

Last and definitely not least increase your participation and investment in your Boy Scouts, ROTC, Civil Air Patrol, local airport, and fire/life saving crews.

Your local Economic Development Council has a HUGE market budget if works with to attract family oriented businesses to your town and county. Your EDC works with the realtors, developers, and contractors within your community. They are all competing for the back pocket of "your spectator".

Bomber Field draws between 6k to 8k spectators with two major events each year. An event the magnitude of a USSMA Qualifier, Giant Scale Air Racing, Golden Age Racing, WWI and WWII scale events can be 90% paid for outside the hobby industry.

Its not difficult to do...a small group of club members simply have to plan how your EDC and other organizations can be approached...by your event "team"   

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: November/24/2018 at 7:46am  Quote

Lots of great info Ed for sure... however the South FL market is strange in many areas. Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach house 1/2 the states population but only 7 Rc Plane clubs and 2 of them are electric only. And 2 of them operate out of the same county park and you dont need to join a club to fly there. A great turn out of use would be 30-40 pilots. Most of which will be an ARF.. There are no scale contests down here at all. Most events are class C with restrictions for warbird, large scale, or Jet models. I have been able to secure vendors for sponsor ship with some success though. Heck after this year Frank will no longer host 12 oclock high due to poor pilot turn out. Not having a radius to draw from hurts us also.... remember we can drive for 15 hours and still be in the same state. This is why Dino does his event in Georgia. We do our events to promote the hobby more than make money. We try to host a pilot friendly event more than anything. We let the boy scouts handle the parking and split the proceeds with them. At most an event will net $800-1500 or so after expenses for us. But honestly our club does not nee the cash to survive... yes we have expenses of over $30,000 but with 200 members paying to play we are covered. Also getting help from the members to run an event is near impossible and its always the same 4-6 guys.

Most recently though to try and attract more public to our events we attended the full scale air show at Homestead AFB and talked to a lot of people capturing e-mail addresses so we can send out event invites to them. The local media does not do feel good stories of any type down here so they are of no help for this sort of thing.

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: November/24/2018 at 12:45pm  Quote

Interesting circumstance you seem saddled with. With a population density that high one would
think finding a friendly television station would go a long way toward drawing attention. I know
what its like to be in a 12 month flying environment. 

Interesting participant numbers. My customer count in S. Florida exceeds your participant count 
Of course a good percentage are pass through portals to Central and South America.

My post is intended for consumption by our large subscriber population. Typically clubs get into 
a habit of not marketing themselves. No work, no play is the best club credo to keep lazy arses
in line... Work does not have to be a back breaking chore...simple hands on deck instead of them
sitting around watching others do the work.

If I were flying in your environment I would be preparing for a wee bit more interference from the
FAA via way of municipal government receiving warnings...aka heavy handed notices. In ignorance
municipal management simply stops an activity without democratic process. We all need to pay a
wee bit more attention to our local airport management and airplane dealerships. Working "with" is
a lot easier than trying to defend against a fear based attitude. When municipal government
learns they are covered liability wise when they require AMA liability insurance has a rather
abrupt effect on "open" flying. They can and do this because the FAA now requires membership
in a community based organization to legitimately fly anything. Ask our sheriff's departments
and judges.

My comments above were directing more attention to community involvement...fresh involvement...
Having listened as you have to those who say no one plays with us any more...the cure over here
has been to turn in another direction...charitable organization activities.

One of the two clubs I belong to has hosted an MDA focused event annually for over 20 years. This
is simple to do and obviously welcomed by most of the community looking for something different
to do...this coming weekend. 

We set up four or five flight lines for R/C "hands on" flight with a trainer chord partner. Involving
ROTC/CAP for parking and stirring the pot in every middle and high school promoting "real" R/C
flight (not self flying quad). Real pilots have thumbs... For the price of a donation, $5 minimum,
one gets their paws on a transmitter for 5~8 minutes. Free introductory AMA memberships are
given out and Darts are made with glue sticks...for a mass launch at an appointed hour in both the
morning and afternoon.

Radio and television stations are "REQUIRED" to program community service X number of "hours"
each license cycle in order to "retain" their license to operate. They actually don't know a lot about
what we do. We are looked upon as playing with toy airplanes... Every competitive TV and Radio
market especially ESL markets is trying to improve their market share...they do not achieve that
with commercial advertising...its sweat equity that gets ratings...drama.

I know its hard to believe its impossible to get their carcasses off the beach, shuffle board, and golf
courses. If it were easy there would be more clubs around you. Uncle Walt...didn't buy that swamp
land because it couldn't return $400+ per visitor...per day

Imagine the county commissioners building a concrete runway r/c airport...sharing that imagination
will yield rewards...I bet cha...

]
] ]