Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Introduce Yourself>Returing to the Hobby I loved Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump  
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
Dinosaaur
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: March/04/2016 at 4:43pm  Quote

Yes, another old flyer who has been away from the hobby/sport and found my way back. I started flying R/C in 1970 after some time in the Air Force and stayed with it until 1998. A career change took up most of my free time then a move to a new home took precedence over my hobbies and the planes took a back seat. The years roll by pretty fast when you reach my age and they have a way of getting ahead of you. I had kept most of my planes and gear albeit they had some age on them but recently I began dragging stuff out and to my surprise everything still works. I have no intention of flying with my old radios/batteries and I'm currently in the market for some new gear. The technology today astounds me; radios that talk to you? Telemetry? Holy Moly. But I've been reading, joining a couple of forums and trying to do it right before heading to the flying field with a plane.

I figure that with the years I've been away from the sticks I should start out with something docile and easy to fly. I have a Sig Kadet (spelling?) that I had been using as a camera platform. Big and slow enough and probably forgiving of these old hands. It has a Saito 91 4 stroke that I have just bench tested and it still runs perfectly.  There's a 100" Jack Stafford Cessna 140 hanging in my garage that I'd dearly love to see in the air again but it's going to wait until my confidence level builds a little. 

Thank you for allowing me to join. Scale was always my cup of tea and I'm looking at the possibilities available to the serious builder today. I just happen to have two Weedeater 25cc engines that would be just about right for a DC3 or something a little more rare like a Fairchild C-123 Provider. I found some Palmer plans for one last night. Hmmmm. Any thoughts? I'm open to suggestions.

Again, thanks for having me along for the ride and I'm deeply impressed with the quality of this forum.

Tom

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: March/04/2016 at 4:55pm  Quote

Tom
You and I sound like we have a similar story. Welcome back to the hobby. I bet we'll have similar questions. #1 on my mind right now is radio technology. I'm lost with all the new stuff available. Hoping a guru hear can bring me up to speed or at least point me in the right direction.

Good luck

Mike

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
IP Logged
Posted: March/04/2016 at 6:21pm  Quote

Welcome back! You have a lot of lot of catching up to do. The Sig Kadet Sr is a great platform to fly with.
Palmer plans would be difficult undertaking as there are issues with most that have taken on the task of building one.
twins are exponentially harder to deal with maybe get a few projects under your belt. A electric option takes a lot of anxiety from the twin.
Sparky

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: March/05/2016 at 9:45am  Quote

Hey Tom, welcome back to RC!  Sparky is right, the Kadet is an excellent re-starter.

Mike - at least some of what you are looking for is dependent on the brand you choose.

Analogue servos you are familiar with, they have been around for decades.  Digitals are stronger and are programmable themselves.  Unlike analogues they will fight to hold a position - but all that is at the cost of power consumption (need for a higher capacity battery)

There are bus-systems that I do not fully understand myself but offer great advantages in certain situations.

Oh - most 2.4 radio systems have their own discrete signal pattern, meaning you can no longer use a Hitec Rx with a Futaba Tx - they are brand-dependent.

I recommend to both of you to find a local club and join, or at least hang out and talk, they can answer specific questions but you will still need to do research.

Lastly - take a look at the site supporter program (LINK) - the small investment far outweighs the benefits!

Let me know if I can help

Basic Member
Basic Member
Dinosaaur
IP Logged
Posted: March/05/2016 at 10:40am  Quote

Thanks for the welcome and the kind words of encouragement. You make me feel comfortable here.

There is a very fine club that flies at the field near me. They are the Jeffco Aeromodelers and they seem to be a good bunch. I've been planning on going to talk to a few of them but we've been having a lot of high wind days lately and I'm going to wait until it settles down a tad.  I've flown at that field and it is an excellent flying field with opposed paved runways, taxiways and ample pit area. My AMA was recently renewed and I'm waiting on the FCC license to show up in the mail. I suppose I'll also comply with the new FAA regs and register with them too. I don't know if the local guys are requiring it yet but I'll be legal one way or the other.

Sparky, thanks for the advice regarding twins but I've built several in my time and I have a few hours in full scale multi-engine planes so I'm aware of the challenges involved :)  Along with the plans to build a giant scale twin I also have a Royal/Murataka Cessna Skymaster kit that I bought back in 95 but never started.  I'm currently researching info on retracts for it and have found some excellent discussions here. Also stumbled on a name out of the past. I young man who I used to fly with, and competed against in scale, back in Miami in the 70s. I'm hoping to hook up with him through this forum. I gather he's a member here but I don't know his username yet. 

Thanks again.

Tom 

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: March/05/2016 at 2:36pm  Quote

Thinking of going with Futaba equipment. Not sure what Tx to use, but with my interests in vintage golden age planes I don't think I'll need to go beyond a 6 or 8 channel radio. The new 2.4 technology seems like the way to go. Seems to be plenty of info and opinions about battery arrangements so I'll need to do more research. Hope I can find a club at some point. I live in a very rural area so flying fields and clubs will be a bit of a jog for me.

Thanks
Mike

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
IP Logged
Posted: March/05/2016 at 8:52pm  Quote

Models and full size are considerably different. My experience is there is more cross over from models to full size than the other way around.
I am a bit confused about the FCC license 2.4Ghz doesn't require licensing.
Not sure where you live but a club should be able to help you get back in the air faster than on your own.
The wireless buddy box is the bomb! I don't know if Futaba has one, I use the Specktrum and it is wonderful when instructing.
Sparky

]
] ]