Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Site Polls>2.4 Radio Systems Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
] ] ]
]
Poll Question : Have you totally switched to a 2.4 radio system?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
621 [ 58.92% ]
433 [ 41.08% ]
You can not vote in this poll
]
] ]
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: July/29/2010 at 3:36pm  Quote

I recently purchased a 2.4 radio and used and old ARF to try it out.Had no issues after 4 flights.Now I am putting it into a 1/4 scale plane and don't expect any issues,although I will still be a little wary of it for a while.My 72mhz radio will still be used on my best plane(P-47) as long as I can or until our field forces us to use 2.4.  Like everything else,72mhz will be phased out eventually and we'll all be forced into 2.4. I just hope everything works out.

Like they said in Armageddon,"We are sitting on a machine with over a thousand parts built by the lowest bidder"LOL   My fingers are crossed.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of Belgium Belgium
IP Logged
Posted: July/29/2010 at 6:04pm  Quote

I've changed to 2.4 early 2009 (Futaba FX-30) fo all my models.
No regrets so far!

Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of Australia Australia
IP Logged
Posted: August/16/2010 at 5:02am  Quote

Hmm... I've just started returning to scale r/c modelling after a long periood of absence, and have a 35 MHz Multiplex 3010 MC Profi Tx and 9-Ch JR-socketted Rx - plus a clutch of Futaba and Jr servos, all JR-plugged (of course ;).

At the current time I can't afford to buy a new transmitter even if I wanted to - and I don't, as the 3010 still has features that I don't use.

Which is why I voted no. I'll be a bit upset if I find on further research that Oz has gone over to 2.4 completely. Luckily I like building for the sake of it, though...

Cheers,
Alex.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: August/16/2010 at 3:11pm  Quote

One 2.4 GHz radio.  Came with a Park Zone micro P-51.  It's going to take me several years to replace all my 72 MHz equipment with 2.4 Gig.  Just a matter of money available in retirement.  Never made as much money as Bill Gates or Warren Buffet.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/14/2012 at 2:15pm  Quote

I recently purchased a JR 9X 2.4 radio but will soon acquire the 'Mac Daddy' of all radios for which I'll probably never need a replacement... The Graupner MC32 16 channel radio. It was courtesy of a contest sponsored by GraupnerUSA.com and RCAerotowing.com. Go to the GraupnerUSA.com website and have a looksee! I'm still pinching myself to see if this is really true. I have never won anything before and usually have to 'pay the piper' for sumthin' or t'other. The day I was informed of the good news temps hit the triple digits and my car window got stuck open.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of Norway Norway
IP Logged
Posted: July/14/2012 at 3:13pm  Quote

Hello, I find a thread like this very valuable.

Nothing compares to customers interchanging information.

Imagine "Before Internet", where we were all isolated in each country, and all we had was talking to fellow modellers on fly-ins....

I have had Futaba FASST 10CG for about a year now. Never flown as much as this year. Why? I abandoned XPS and bought Futaba. Not ONE problem so far. So I am grateful to Futabas engineers and the good job they do.

I lost several planes using XPS. It was mentioned batteries and switches, and voltages, and whatever.

I used 2 2500 mAH LiFe batteries, two swtches directly into the receiver. Didnt help. So, when I still lost planes even when batteries and switches was okay, I decided, okay, enough is enough.

Especially when my Sist Fw 190 D9 went down, for no apparent reason. Freshly charged batteries, two of them, 2300 mAh, 2 switches....nah, no more of that.

Bought Futaba 2.4 GHz 10CG and receivers for all my planes.

Expensive, yes. But enough setbacks, I want to fly and get some sticktime.

So, therefore it isnt good enough to consider the jump from 72 MHz ( 35 MHz for non US, yes?) to 2.4GHz. It is too simplified.You need to consider different brands too.

Futaba isnt big only in RC models. They also produce systems for remote control of cranes in harbours.

Can you imagine how important it is to avoid that a big crane for containers goes haywire? Yes ?

And if you were doing R&D in Futaba, would you consider using the same software for 2.4GHz communication
in your RC Modellers equipment that you developed for the cranes? I would.

Next :
Scale 1/6 Ju-88

In Hangar :
Meister 109
ESM Corsair 50cc
Vailly Fw-190
TF Fw-190
TF P-40
Sist Fw-190 D9
Skymaster F4
BH T33
C-Arf Spit

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/14/2012 at 8:23pm  Quote

Kwik,

Your write up of the problems you had with XPS was very interesting.  Sorry to hear you had so many problems. 

I am using Futaba 2.4 on most of my planes now, but still fly XPS in my foamies and my big Storch.  In years of flying XPS I never had a single signal loss, but never could explain how so many good modelers like yourself had so much trouble.  That lead me to purchase Futaba because, like you I think their vast experience in 2.4 with cranes has to be a plus.

Of course as soon as I went to Futaba they started having the heat issues with their 14 ch recievers.  I have several of those and no issues with them either. 

Just like you I do my best to follow all the educated suggestions about the "best" ways to install and set up recievers for the best reliability.   It is strang to me how it could work so well for me and fail so often for you. I really can't be that lucky but it sure sounds like we approach this stuff the same way. I wonder if the cold in your cllimate had anything to do with it.

All in all I can only explain the tremedouse success we have with these gizmos as black magic and when they don't work....well I guess the magic just quits. 

I don't think I will ever put XPS in a major airframe again,  I guess I will quit on that one while I am ahead.

Ziroli Stuka Video

Don Smith 335 Video

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: January/22/2014 at 6:30am  Quote

I have one Airtronics RDS8000 on 2.4 and two Airtronics radios on 72 mhz.

]
] ]