Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Site Polls>2.4 Radio Systems Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
] ] ]
]
Poll Question : Have you totally switched to a 2.4 radio system?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
621 [ 58.92% ]
433 [ 41.08% ]
You can not vote in this poll
]
] ]
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: March/28/2010 at 1:39pm  Quote

Bought my 1st 2.4 this winter.  Futaba 7C FAAST.  Futaba had a deal going, by a set
get a 2nd rx for 10 bucks,  too hard to pass up.

I will still be flying on 72 with some of my planes.  But I am with Dale on converting my
"go to fly-in" airplanes.

On the battery issue.  The manual for my radio mentions batteries.  But the gist of what
was printed was that 5 cell packs will discharge quicker than 4 cell packs.  Might go back
and read it again to make sure I understood what they were saying.

Mike

Topflite GS Corsair

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Avatar User Offline hdwideglide03
Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: March/29/2010 at 11:15am  Quote

Mike, I read the AMA article that was in April issue and it appears that the big issue with the 2.4 was with old batteries being used on the 2.4 RXs.

What I understand is the 4.8v is going to brown out at 3.8 which is below the cutoff for the 2.4.  That being said, I have ran nothing but 4.8 600mah in my one trainer plane that has 4 standard Futaba S3004 servos and I get 6 flights on my plane and can probably get at least 2 more flights before needing to change the battery.

On my T-28, I have 4 Spektrum DS821s and 2 Futaba S3004s.  I run a 4.8v 1100mah and I get 5 flights on it.  Again I could probably get 1 to 2 more flights on it without worry.

I have a vol****ch on both of them and have not seen any sudden drops and have just touched the first yellow light by the time I am at my fifth flight.

I have also heard from others that have switched to the 5 cell packs that they lose a flight sometimes two because of switching over to the them.

My thought for this issue was on my T-28, is to Y-harness another 4.8v 1100mah and be done with it.  I can't see any reason why I should switch to 5 cells because of some "older fliers" as outlined in the article didn't use newer batteries.

I have been flying with the same 4.8v 1100 mah for two years now.  I cycle my batteries and charge them like I should and have had absolutely no problem at all.

Joe

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Master Kit Box Opener
IP Logged
Posted: March/29/2010 at 11:30am  Quote

Even with a good battery, I have found that the wiring and switches can kill the voltage.  I am trying to get a set up working in a VK N 17.  Due to the size of the battery box, I need to use a 4.8v square pack.  I bought a 2300mah nmhi pack and it was still acting like the battery was dead. Even right after a full charge.  I am using standard, or mini analog servos, so no real drain.

I have found two issues. 1. I was using a small switch due to space issues and this appears to be cutting the voltage.  2. The sockets in the battery pack connector are sort of loose and not making good strong connection with the pins in the connecting wires.  I found this by wiggling the wire while connected to a volt meter.  The voltage jumped all over the place.

Fortunately, I found all this on the ground.

Moral:  With 2.4 make darn sure EVERY connection, wire and switch are up to the task.

Dale

Avatar User Offline KickIn Chicken
Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: March/29/2010 at 5:55pm  Quote

Hi Everyone,

Like most folks I been around in the last couple years have change to 2.4 on most planes they fly regularly and especially $$$$ like Warbirds and large flip/flop planes.

What I learned is go with the 6 volts system and everything should be OK, but I will keep my 72's for our home field and my Sunday flyer's , so far I've spent a couple thousand $$ and that enough.

Charlie

PS: I'm moving (motorhome) up to Mac tomorrow to start rebuilding the B-29, John and Mac figures a week (24/7) to get the structure back together and then Mac will reinstall everything that not hurt, which looks pretty good so far, all the wires ect in fuselage will be replaced.

Leesburg,Georgia

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Master Kit Box Opener
IP Logged
Posted: March/29/2010 at 6:08pm  Quote

Good on you Charlie.  Hope to see the B-29 back up soon.

Dale

Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of Ireland Ireland
IP Logged
Posted: March/29/2010 at 6:37pm  Quote

2.4, 72 and 35 over this side of the pond! all great systems!  but only as reliable as the head case using them... or is that unreliable!

For piece of mind that some fool has not got what he thinks is the right crystal in while he shoots you down, the 2.4  system is the way to go. I have seen it happen and i have experienced first hand the loss of a model at the hands of a green eyed fellow club member!

One recent mishap or close call that has been brought to the attention of fellow club members is the swamping of signal by the mobile phone or wi fi device found on most mobile phones... having one on you or near to you while flying will cause momentry interference of the TX signal! no matter if its Futaba/ JR 2.4 OR 35, 72. 
Simply put... the phone signal plays havoc with all the internal bits of the transmitter as it hunts for the closest mast or satnav system! Toughski ****ski as they say in Mosco if your doing a low pass inverted as your Kitchen Commander calls you asking when your likely to be home for dinner!
Thanks to Kees for that bit of info!  Now we know why women shoudn't have phones!  ...
............. Not signing my name for legal reasons!

Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of Ireland Ireland
IP Logged
Posted: March/29/2010 at 6:43pm  Quote

Oh..  i forgot to say  i use both systems 2.4 & 35, with a 6v battery on the RX side of things!  I have recently changed the Tx battery on my 2.4 set to a 11v lipo as the voltage seems to drop very quickly on the 2.4 set when using nicad/ nmh.       I'm away to make my own tea! C.

Avatar User Offline Marty Hillier
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of Australia Australia
IP Logged
Posted: April/01/2010 at 2:12am  Quote

I use an interchangeable module in my JR X388, an old radio but a goodie, the module I use has an inbuilt antenna so I can switch between 36 meg and 2.4 gig as quickly as it takes to change a crystal, which meant removing the module anyway!

]
] ]