] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of Germany Germany
IP Logged
Posted: March/23/2006 at 9:21am  Quote

Sometimes I'm asking myself how I could have built modelairplanes without all these PC Stuff, without asking thousands of people in different forums for support, without 'googling' around for special parts and detailed images and without all my expensive tools I have  ??? ??? ???

Parts of an laser cut kit are really noble and I admire them but often the wood quality of a full wood kit not. Sometimes the wood is warped and to heavy or to soft. So I prefer to order the wood from my special local dealer who delivers manual sorted 1A quality just in the weight I want it.

Depending the laser cut parts. Cutting all these formers and ribs by myself is pure joy. I love this work and I could do it all the time. O.K. my parts haven't always the same quality of laser cut parts and when the part in the plan has the wrong shape my selfmade part become also the wrong shape, (so there is finally no difference to a laser cut short kit

I enjoy most of the building phase and have no pressure at all to become faster ;) but if I could I would mill parts by myself. My models become all electric powered and often I have to modify something. It would be a pleasure to modify parts from the plans with a CAD Software and to mill then by myself but I would never complete pass on sawing parts by msyself.

Cheers!,         LarS  8^)

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of Canada Canada
IP Logged
Posted: March/23/2006 at 9:17pm  Quote

I voted for a full wood kit, but only because I prefer it all else being equal.  If the kit cutter uses good quality wood and the parts all fit well, then there's no point in spending hours cutting from patterns.  I wouldn't mind and might even prefer building from a short kit (excluding foam wings) except that the nearest LHS is several hundred miles away so its a hassle for me to get quality balsa, especially since I want to hand pick.  I've been building a Skyshark kit and everything fits together very well and the wood quality is very good with very few minor exceptions.  I would say the same for an Airsail kit I built earlier.  Because of my location, a full kit is most practical for me from either of these manufacturers.  I've built several red box TF kits years ago and they weren't bad.  However, I recently acquired a TF Gold Edition kit and the wood is very heavy.  It's the worst wood I've seen in any kit, by far.  I bought the kit on Ebay with the horiz. stab. already built.  The builder did a fine job, but the wood is so heavy I'll have to build from scratch to replace it.  I'll probably replace 80% of the parts in the kit to bring the weight down to where it should be for a bird this size.  (Now I understand why everyone says the TF kits build heavy and need more power than specified.  Based on the contents of this kit I probably wouldn't buy another TF kit unless it was a short kit.  So, in my case my preference has a lot to do with my location and the quality of wood in the kit.

in progress:

Sig PT-19 converting to PT-26
scratch built 1/6 I-16 Ishak

Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: February/17/2007 at 8:23am  Quote

I voted cut my own, however, I have never used a cutter so have no experience.  I'll be building a 1/5th scale CT Davies Sopwith Pup from plans and hope to use a cutter to cut out all them wing ribs and half ribs!

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of Israel Israel
IP Logged
Posted: February/17/2007 at 9:33am  Quote

Prefer to cut my own.

One "practical" reason - by the time a custom kit would get shipped to my corner of the world, the cost would be enormous.

One "personal" reason - it allows changing materials and laminating the thicker parts for a better structure in my opinon.

Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of Canada Canada
IP Logged
Posted: May/11/2007 at 5:26am  Quote

Like another modeler said, this is question of personal preference really, there is not one or two answers for it in reality, everybody like to go around this as they feel comfortable. For me i like to cut my own parts from the plans, mind you i have never bought a kit  from laser kit cutters out there yet but i am sure if there are errors on the drawings from which the kit is being cut from, you will find them on the parts and their fitting also, i highly doubt if any of kit cutters would take there sweet time to rectify errors in plans and then cut the kit.
Plus when i am doing my own cutting i can see how the model was designed and if there are errors on the plans, i could fix them as i go.

Avatar User Offline Red_Jeepster
Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: May/12/2009 at 9:13pm  Quote

I voted for my own cutting.  Really, the time I spend selecting wood, positioning the piece for grain direction, cutting out the parts, etc is PART of building IMHO.

What is the hurry?  To build a masterpiece one doesn't mind being part of the whole process.

I am not against kit cutters at all.  I have never used one, so I don't have any business talking about them, good or bad.  Would I use one?  Sure if I was building for someone else and they wanted to pay for the service.

AMA #208619

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/04/2009 at 8:36am  Quote

Well, as I am drawing close to the the end of my first scratch build, I'd have to say cutting my own. Now, I enjoy building from a kit too, as there is always something to fix and to fabricated that isn't included in the kit. But as I wind down this project and get ready to have others see it, I find a definite sense of pride building in me knowing I'll be able to say, "Yeah, I cut and glued every stick in her." It's been a long and sometimes tedious process, but I have enjoyed it so much.

Flying: 1/4 BUSA Cub, 1/4 BUSA Nieuport 11
On Hold: 1/4 SS DIII, 1/4 Sopwith Baby
Building: 1/3 BUSA DVII for a club member

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: July/12/2009 at 5:46pm  Quote

My vote for purchasing a full wood kit from a kit cutter is of course depending on the quality of the company doing the kit cutting.

John,TX

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

]
] ]