]
Author / Post
Admin Group
Admin Group
RCSB Owner/Founder
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: March/20/2006 at 10:23am  Quote

Which do you prefer when building from plans?

Update Your Browser!

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Passed Away 2016
IP Logged
Posted: March/20/2006 at 12:01pm  Quote

It's not really building from plans if you have a kit cutter do all the work for you. Then it's just assembling a "KIT" that you purchased in two parts: Plans and Kit.

IMHO if you say you built it from plans, then it has to include your sweat and blood from cutting the parts and correcting for any errors in the plans as you go.

Canadair 215 Water Bomber
BUSA 1/3 Nieuport 28
Thomas repair:1/4 Beech Starship
Repairing: 40% Cessna U3-B
Building:Kawasaki Ki-100 110"
NEXT:NorthropXB35

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: March/20/2006 at 12:25pm  Quote

Merlyn, many of the guys that put together ARF's are saying they built a ARF.  Does it really matter that much, I mean come on just enjoy the hobby.

Basic Member
Basic Member
Passed Away 2014
IP Logged
Posted: March/20/2006 at 1:27pm  Quote

I prefer having a choice. I like the idea of the precision fit of the parts that can be had with laser cut kits and I prefer to be able to pick my own balsa sheet stock. More often than not you hear complaints from those that buy full kits that some sheet stock is missing-its too hard, warped or whatever.

IMHO-a laser cutter that cuts a short kit per the plans using the designer specified dimensions of sheet stock will always enjoy a popular presence in this hobby.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Mr. Mom
IP Logged
Posted: March/20/2006 at 2:21pm  Quote

well, here we go again, another multiple answer poll.

I will only say, I went with the "short" kit from a kit cutter.  that is though, if a full kit is not provided by that cutter.  but the ones I use, do have "full" kits.

so, to me, there is more than one answer

Ron "The Skipper" Berg

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Moosehead Drinker, Airplane Tinker
National Flag of Canada Canada
IP Logged
Posted: March/20/2006 at 3:06pm  Quote

Hey Richard,

The poll is about "building from plans". I don't believe ARF's are being minimalized here.....they just aren't part of the topic by definition.

Cheers, Nigel

"My ex-wifes hate airplanes"
www.tarvinmodelproducts.com

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United Kingdom United Kingdom
IP Logged
Posted: March/22/2006 at 3:13pm  Quote

Quote: sevarg

It's not really building from plans if you have a kit cutter do all the work for you. Then it's just assembling a "KIT" that you purchased in two parts: Plans and Kit.

IMHO if you say you built it from plans, then it has to include your sweat and blood from cutting the parts and correcting for any errors in the plans as you go.

With you all the way on this one.................

Several 'short' or 'full' kits I've seen I haven't been impressed with, either bue to poor quality cutting, or the eventual fit. A laser cutter is only as good as the files it's working from, so if there are errors in the drawings (which the majority of plans do have), there will be errors in the parts. Personally, I prefer working through the parts, correcting things as I go, so for me, the parts must be hand cut..............

Plus it's very 'theraputic' work....................or is that just me

Phil

Fighteraces
Warbirds & Accessories
Building & finishing materials
Custom building service
www.fighteraces.co.uk

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of South Africa South Africa
IP Logged
Posted: March/23/2006 at 7:37am  Quote

This is one of those "personal choice" questions, certainly with no right or wrong. I have several reasons for cutting my own parts:

1) There is no better way of studying the plans and getting a really in-depth understanding of what the designer intended than by going through the parts one by one as you cut them out yourself.

2) I like selecting my own wood, and I sometimes replace materials to save weight where applicable. You often find that some designs can be built with balsa replacing lite-ply parts, etc.

3) Although many laser-cut kits are extremely accurate, I have also heard of mistakes when the plans were scanned in, or problems due to the way the parts are cut. If I cut it myself, I can only blame myself for inaccuracies, or the original designer if the plan itself is wrong.

4) Although some designer's plans are very accurate (Brian Taylor comes to mind), I have built many plans where the ribs or formers will simply not fit as drawn on the plan. This is in particular a problem with older hand-drawn plans. It is unfortunately often clear that the designer drew the plan after the prototype was built and that he never built a model from his own plans; that is of course, if he actually build a prototype at all. When I cut my own parts, I usually trace or copy the part from the plan, cut out a paper template, and then test the dimensions of the template against the side views and top views to make sure they will fit before committing to cutting the part. This has saved me a lot of frustration on many occasions (I remember a model that my dad abandoned after he cut all his parts and found  out that not a single rib or former would fit correctly). It is amazing how many parts are not even drawn symmetrically on some lower quality plans.

5) I actually enjoy it - for me it is part of the building process. In fact, I like building my own designs from my own plans, but that is another story...

All this said, the time that can be saved by using laser cut parts makes for a very strong counter-argument. And, if done correctly from accurately drawn plans, the accuracy comes out better than I can manage by hand. In the end it all goes back to personal preference, but I prefer cutting my own.

]
] ]