Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Site Polls>Your favorite part of the hobby Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 11 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »
] ] ]
]
Poll Question : What do you enjoy most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [ 2.41% ]
224 [ 36.01% ]
40 [ 6.43% ]
343 [ 55.14% ]
You can not vote in this poll
]
] ]
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Guest Group
Guest Group
IP Logged
Posted: July/25/2005 at 12:47pm  Quote

I especially enjoy the challenge of making a newly constructed aircraft fly scale like.   Bringing it to the field for the first time, the first flight, and then trimming it, and flying it to scale perfection. 

>  Jim

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Avatar User Offline Patrick McCurry
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: July/25/2005 at 3:29pm  Quote

I sat and thought about this one for a while and I have decided that the "fun part" of the hobby for me is, and has always been, evolving and changing. Of course flying and building scale models is at the top of the list but what I got the biggest kick from ten years ago, say - getting a model over 200 was a big deal then. Now I could care less. Having a top model at a big contest used to be very high on the list but I don't lose sleep over it nowadays. . . as much I lose enough sleep just building the stupid things.

I have found it is the people you meet that makes the hobby great. I have met people that I would never have come in contact with had I been in some other type of work or hobby. I was once told that if I wanted to make a small fortune in this industry that the key was to start with a very large fortune. Umm that is so true. But when it comes to the friends and people I have met in this hobby I am a very rich man.

So my new official "best  part of the hobby" is throwing the dog and a model or two into the van and hitting the road to go see new places and faces and meet up with some of the older ones too. See ya soon.

"Any opinion(s) expressed by me is not the opinion of RCSCALEBUILDER.COM"

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: July/28/2005 at 10:55am  Quote

So true Pat.  I have met many great people all over the world because of this hobby - a good day at the field is just a good day at the field.  Hanging out with my buddies, maybe getting in a flight or two.

Let me know if I can help

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: July/28/2005 at 5:41pm  Quote

I'm still a newbe to scale building, and durning my current build am pleased I'm not afraid to think outside the box and cut and piece so the part looks like the scale one.  Gaining building skills sufficient to produce a scale bird is a mountain to climb indeed.  I love to fly the best, as it is the frosting on the cake for me. 

Avatar User Offline Pickupsticks
Basic Member
Basic Member
idiot savant
IP Logged
Posted: July/29/2005 at 12:49am  Quote

My favorite part of the hobby wasn't listed...it is meeting lot's of great people!

As for a poll selection, I go with all of the above!

Rob

Any opinion(s) expressed by me is not the opinion of RCSCALEBUILDER.COM

Avatar User Offline GhostRider2110
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime project, A-36
IP Logged
Posted: August/01/2005 at 9:27am  Quote

I have to join in with Ron, Pat, Rob and a couple others in that the people I have met is the best part of this hobby... But of the choices, I have to go with all of the above... I am new at this... so that may change.. HAHAHA

AMA 7548
GSWA WB251 10th AF
USSMA 358 Dir of Admin
opinion(s) expressed are mine not RCSB

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: October/27/2006 at 7:42am  Quote

There are so many things I love about this hobby it's hard to choose. Some are:

1. The poeple-whether it's a full scale pilot, a modeler, a beginner, there is something very special about folks who love airplanes and a common bond that is unique.

2. Learning-I have never done a project that I didn't discover a new skill, fact, or method.

3. Scrounging-Going to Michael's (sp?) to find things that I can make look like an airplane part.

4. Building-enjoying the process and the product: but always looking to do better.  

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: October/27/2006 at 9:20am  Quote

I think everyone just about hit it on the nose, the friendships I have made since joining this hobby are great. I have never known so many friendly, outgoing people that will do so much to help you out and just that brotherhood that develops from those friendships, it's unlike anything I have ever been involved in before in my life.

The way someone you almost know nothing about will go out of his or her way to help you figure out a problem or to just answer any ole questions is so special. If it were not for this hobby, I think I would have lost my mind by now. I am stuck home for all but too days a week and a flying friend drives me out to the field because my wife has to have the car for work. I was disabled and it ended my career much earlier than I would have ever planned and this hobby has seen me through some of the toughest times of my life.

I do enjoy building, the research is extremely educational and helps me keep my mind active and the flying is the reward for doing the other two.

It doesn't matter if you have a very small income or a large one, this hobby has something that will fit and make you a better all around person because of it.

I am involved in Giant Scale Warbirds right now and I think that will probably be my niche for a very long time because I enjoy that part of the hobby more than I have enjoyed the other types a building/flying. I do enjoy a good fun fly almost as much.

Thanks everyone!

Completed:
> TF Spitfire

On the bench:
> Don Smith B17 - SOLD
> WingSpan Models B17 - Might try Flite Metal on this one.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

]
] ]