Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Site Polls>Your favorite part of the hobby Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 11 Pages « 9 10 11
] ] ]
]
Poll Question : What do you enjoy most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [ 2.41% ]
224 [ 36.01% ]
40 [ 6.43% ]
343 [ 55.14% ]
You can not vote in this poll
]
] ]
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: March/20/2020 at 6:02pm  Quote

Detailing. There’s something magical about detailing the model that brings out the rewards of all the previous work in preparation for this final step. Be it rivets, painting or cockpit detailing it’s all a reflection on the surface that everyone else sees from all the work we “see” to get to that moment. It’s the “Oohs & ahh’s” that gives it the rewards of approval from not only the general public but also from our fellow modelers who know what’s involved & the efforts needed to achieve that finish.

Research has its own rewards but sometimes drives me crazy. Especially when I have to choose which detail should be chosen for that particular variant when there are about half dozen accessories to choose from. Then it becomes that ubiquitous excuse called “artistic license” or a mental flip of the coin.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: March/20/2020 at 9:36pm  Quote

For me it is all of the above but most important to me is all the friendships and comradery that I have made and learning new (to me ) ideas from them. Haven't met anyone that hasn't gone out of there way to welcome me in the scale community.   

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: March/20/2020 at 9:49pm  Quote

I would have to say people. I'm a people person. I like research and building etc. but the people are the best part of anything for me.

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: March/27/2020 at 2:01pm  Quote

I love when the plans arrive in the mail and I have every book or magazine that even mentions the full size airplane that I hope my scale version will do justice to.  Before I build I study every build thread on that model in RC Scale Builder taking notes of ways others have approached aspects of their projects.  I live near Udvar Hazy in Virginia and if they have the full size plane I spend hours there looking at it.  It is at this point right before I cut the first rib my model will look as good as any of the master builders can do.  In the end I'm satisfied with the final product even though it fell short of what the masters can do.  

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: January/14/2021 at 3:20pm  Quote

It used to be flying but these days not so much. I love starting a new project and bringing it to the maiden, then hanging with my flying family at an event if I fly or not. I have so many brothers and sisters in the modeling community that I feel are as close or closer than "blood family" its mind boggling!

There's a reason its called scale and not similar.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: January/14/2021 at 4:16pm  Quote

I miss the weekly breakfast meet-ups before heading to the field.

I could use less of the visiting friends who ask "aren't you worried about crashing?"

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: January/14/2021 at 4:30pm  Quote

Battery:
I share your sentiments but on a slightly different level. As a licensed private pilot I get: “I heard about an airplane crash & immediately thought about you.” Meaning hoping I’m not involved.

In flying, whether models or full size, there’s always an element ( however infinitesimally small) of “a chance.” That’s going to always be there whenever we take our models out on the field. Thousands of modelers have flown for years (& years ) & not have had so much a scratch. Usually those statements come from bystanders or those who see that particular model as being a work of art with fine detailing befitting of years of work & in their eyes, only to disappear in a flash.

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: January/14/2021 at 5:53pm  Quote

I like the period of time right before you are to make the maiden and keep running the checklist in your head a million times before the actual flight. The determination to make something fly was learned as a kid as I failed time and time again with all the neighborhood kids laughing at me. You know that gave me a glimpse of what the pioneers of powered flight must of gone through too. The Wrights had many failures before a success. I think Edison once said, "There is no such thing as failure, you just succeeded in learning what not to do"! Once the maiden is over with it is on to the next build. I really like to frame up the fuselage along with the tail feathers. To me this is where the aircraft takes on it's character. 
I really appreciate all the friends I have made over the years, both on-line and at the field. It is good to fellowship with like minded people and this being in a good sense.
Thanks guy's!

Dan

]
] ]