Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Introduce Yourself>Hello from North East PA. Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump  
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: November/30/2023 at 8:46am  Quote

Hi everyone:

I'm kinda new to RCSB but not new to model design, scratch building and scale flight.
Been flying since 75 and doing RC scale since the late 80's.
In the early 90's I found my niche and passion in scale RC.
Unlike the majority of the aircraft on RCSB, I like to specialize in unique, "one of", aerobatic biplanes and have been sticking with this concept for the past 20 some years.
I have a few designs of unique aerobatic bipes. being the Weeks Solution (25%, 33% and 42%), Acro Sport IIS (40%), Super Starduster (47%) and I am currently working on a new project of a 52% Wolf Pro 360.
With the exception of the Weeks Solution, all the full scale aircraft I have modeled I have worked on the full scale birds with their owners.
My current project of the Wolf Pro 360 we are currently constructing at the Skyhaven Airport.

Thanks
Tom Lowrie

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Avatar User Offline crashman1432
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: November/30/2023 at 9:33am  Quote

Hey Tom,
Welcome aboard! Would love to see some pictures of your projects. The Wolf Pro 360 was that a Pitts biplane built by Steve Wolf? If so, I am familiar with that airplane. If that's the plane that I'm thinking of then Steve built it for my nephew in law Loren T. Surely a beautiful airplane and a magnificent flyer. Loren sold it to free up funds to by a family flyer instead of the one seater hot rod aerobatic biplane!
Charles Wright

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: November/30/2023 at 10:48am  Quote

Hi Charles:

Thank you for the welcome to RCSB.
Yup the 1st WP360 was built by Steve for Loren.
Steve sold the Wolf Aircraft Products to Chris Murley of Griggs Aircraft Finishing a number of years back along with all the molds for the Wolf wings and other Pitts cowls.
The wood parts and metal hardware for the Wolf Wing kits are still produced by Specialty Aero. All the carbon parts (cowl, wing and aileron tips are new fuselage skins) I lay up at the Griggs shop.
Chris has taken the WP360 and modded it to have a cowl similar to the cowl on Tuckers Challenger (the original WP360 had a different cowl).
He also produced molds for an all carbon skinned WP360 fuselage (the one we are currently finishing up) along with carbon skinned stabs and fin.
It will be ready for test flight in spring. The wings are complete and painted and we are currently putting the finishing touches on the fuselage in prep for covering and painting.
I will put up some pics on the projects forum in a little bit.

Avatar User Offline crashman1432
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: November/30/2023 at 1:54pm  Quote

Wow, talk about a small world. And what a coincidence that I was poking through the new post and read that about the Wolf Pro 360. I thought that sounded familiar and googled it and realized that Loren's plane was the original Wolf Pro 360. I remember the build process very fondly, keeping track of it with Loren seeing pictures of it's progress at holidays and such. The hot rod engine, the fact that he was able to get Steve to agree to build the plane, all exciting stuff. Loren even had a little contest of sorts trying to come up with the pain scheme to put on the plane. Thought it turned out beautifully. Followed along on his facebook group about the plane and watching videos of it's flights. I was so surprised when he decided to sell it and go with the family sedan so to speak. Like jumping from a Corvette to a mini van, ha! Don't blame him at all as our priorities change in life. Do you have any idea what became of the plane. Seems like I remember the engine being sold out of the airframe first and then the plane going elsewhere. 
In any case its great to have you aboard and I look forward to any build threads that you may share on your bipes!
Charles

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: November/30/2023 at 3:40pm  Quote

The original WP360 was parted out, I am not sure exactly where it is now.
I think Chris might know where it is, I will ask when I am at the shop tomorrow.

]
] ]