Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>National Association of Scale Aeromodelers>US 2024 FAI team Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: August/11/2023 at 7:20pm  Quote

Message received and thx for checking. Appreciated.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Avatar User Offline Richard Crapp
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Richard Crapp
National Flag of United Kingdom United Kingdom
IP Logged
Posted: August/12/2023 at 5:58pm  Quote

From another ...............

(Sporting code 2023 edition section 6.3.2.9).

You are only allowed one mechanical function… …it’s a FLYING competition.

For item 2, Is it safe to assume you mean flare tube and not fare tube. if so, please remember pyrotechnics are not allowed.

Avatar User Offline vertical grimmace
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/31/2023 at 3:33pm  Quote

Great to find this thread!   I am currently building an F4H model, a Bates DH 94 Moth Minor.  I was not ready to get to the trials this year, but am working on it for next time. 

A big issue that needs to be considered is the fact that our models have to be crated and shipped.  That alone will limit the size of the plane we build (and naturally keep the weight down). 

I think it would be nice to get some tips/ideas from the guys that have prepared larger models for transport and the things to look out for. 

My model has a 108" wing, but does break down into 3 pieces.  I have made my entire tail plane removable.   Any other considerations? 

Rich

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/31/2023 at 3:37pm  Quote

Another topic I had prepared for was fuel.    You never know what will be available  where the worlds will be held.  My model has a Saito 180, and it is a glow engine.  So over concerns of possibly having to run a no nitro fuel, I have installed a CH ignition on my engine. It is still glow, but the controlled spark makes it very reliable, regardless of the fuel used (not gas). 

I welcome any thoughts on this topic as well.  This could be a complete non-issue, but wanted to have my bases covered in case it is. 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/31/2023 at 8:44pm  Quote

Well Rich, the availability (or lack thereof) of nitro is what led me to wanting to power my FAI plane with a Laser engine.  So far that hasn't worked out so a Saito is my second choice.  I hadn't considered converting it to ignition but that's a great thought.

Ben

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Avatar User Offline Richard Crapp
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Richard Crapp
National Flag of United Kingdom United Kingdom
IP Logged
Posted: September/01/2023 at 4:45am  Quote

There is no lack of high Nitro fuel in UK where we hope to hold the 2026 Worlds.
It is just that Nitro  costs more , mostly because it is made in USA.

I can not speak for Romania 2024 but they have a lively aeromodelling community.
I am sure there are Model Shops in Bucharest , (where you would fly to,) who would arrange collection and/or  delivery to to the venue.

Engin's made in Japan for the US market generally run on higher nitro mixes. An easy way to boost power!

I believe there is a limit on Li-Po  batterys imposed by Airlines,   maybe 5000 ma, The Aerobatic community know all about this  so so get your team manager to investigate.

Battery's 'Installed' in equipment  such as Phons and cameras (& models) is no problem. 

If you are flying with models as accompanied out size luggage Nitro will be the least of your problems!

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: September/01/2023 at 9:28am  Quote

Ben, 

One of the benefits of the ignition is it makes for a very reliable set up, with low idle.  Also good control over engine shut off. 

Richard, 

Thankfully Scale models are not chasing power like performance class type events (racing).   I plan to have my Saito set up for no more than 5% nitro.  Nitro is expensive here now as well. 

A Pattern flyer I spoke with said they have lots of trouble transporting batteries, as RC aerobatics has pretty much gone all electric now.  For a large model, this could be an issue. 

One thing he mentioned to me is that it is a good idea to remove your engine.  He had seen firewalls rip out in transit with all of the mass hanging off the front of the fuselage. 

I had thought that building a crate and shipping it freight might be the best option for me, as I can do all of this from where I work. I might even be able to get my company to sponsor me for this!   But I need to make the team 1st.  

Rich

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: September/01/2023 at 9:41am  Quote

Rich,

It appears you have a packer/forwarder available at work who can best protect you investment. I would have them create a second small all wood box to contain and restrain the Saito. Don't know your landing gear config but it might serve well to have the wood butcher "mount" aka bolt in place the wooden box containing the engine between the mains if possible. You should suspend the airframe...not letting it rest on its gear suspension as it will compress...as much as 100% from handling with a fork truck.

Fuel...considering most fuel on the other side of the pond is FAI blend...no nitro. Are you prepared to blend your glow fuel with a simple 20% Klotz? The aux glow system you have should prevent flame out...but be prepared for a gummy clean up after each round.

What airline? Call to clear the small amount of Klotz you will need for the number of rounds... carrying the Klotz in an aluminum thermos might be advisable... share that with the airline...  Forgiveness will not be offered.

Just a thought... 

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

]
] ]