Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>National Association of Scale Aeromodelers>US 2024 FAI team Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: August/01/2023 at 10:18pm  Quote

Since I'm the only one on the US FAI F4 team that regularly uses RCSB I'll start up a thread with all of the team activities, for those who are interested in following along.  I'll post sporadic updates of the other member's builds as well as practice or whatever team stuff comes along in the next year.  Real together team practice will be impossible as 3 of us live 13 hours from each other and the other is 2 days away.

So the current team is Jack Buckley, Ben Andrus (me), Mike Barbee, with Tim Dickey as alternate.

I'm not sure what Jack is planning to take to Romania but he competed at the Nats with a nice 1/4 scale Fairchild 24, I believe it's scratch built.

I'm scratch building my own Fairchild 24, I had already started building it when I found out Jack had one too so it was too late.  I've already got a build thread going in the Scratch Build area  LINKY 

Mike Barbee is building a Jerry Bates Hawker Fury in 1/4 scale 

Power will be electric using the same drive system as his King Air, I believe he is going to be relying on the FAI electric rules to make the 15kg

And Tim Dickey has been scratch building a Waco UEC, also in 1/4 scale.  He had it at the Nats for static judging but it didn't fly.  It has flown now but it's not finished.  Currently at just a touch over 15kg but still needs an interior, he's actively working on some more weight reduction.  Powered by a Robart 7 cylinder radial

Thanks for following along

Ben

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: August/02/2023 at 6:18am  Quote

Great shot of Tim's WACO with his documentation... It would be interesting reading how Tim proposes to reduce AUW since its already over 15kg without the required cockpit. It would be good for the FAI team to inspire others to participate in a team qualifier by sharing pics...no text necessary.

With the skill sets resident within RCSB the USA F4C representation could continue a robust return to the WSC. Its been too long a dry spell without promotion~encouragement outside of NASA. Looking forward to more pics and updates on AUW results. 

A close friend recently passed away who owned a bright yellow F24. What the world needs is more replication of that fabulous airplane.

Where did Mike find the glass Fury fuselage? A fabulous measuring stick tool.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/02/2023 at 7:10am  Quote

Hey Ben, great idea to start this thread. Great photos of the builds in progress. Following…looking forward to how you guys prepare for shipping to Romania.

After seeing the qualifying competition last month at Muncie, I started considering the possibility for next time.

Couple questions:
1). I was surprised to realize that qualifying can be done with a different model than the actual FAI competition. I guess the FAI has nothing to do with how each country selects their team, and with significant time between qualifying and the FAI event, it’s possible?

2) Are the US team members competing in F4C or F4H, or is that something that can be determined later?

Thanks,
Keith

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/02/2023 at 7:18am  Quote

Hey Keith! We were very intentional in following the FAI rules and procedures as closely as possible. It is very interesting that according to the FAI rules, you can qualify with one plane and compete with another. The current team is competing in F4H. However, there’s additional interest in F4C. Because of the interest, there will be an F4C qualifier at the NASA Scale Classic later on in September. The dates are September 15-17 at Muncie IN.

John

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/02/2023 at 3:08pm  Quote

Quote: ScaleAero
Great shot of Tim's WACO with his documentation... It would be interesting reading how Tim proposes to reduce AUW since its already over 15kg without the required cockpit. It would be good for the FAI team to inspire others to participate in a team qualifier by sharing pics...no text necessary.

With the skill sets resident within RCSB the USA F4C representation could continue a robust return to the WSC. Its been too long a dry spell without promotion~encouragement outside of NASA. Looking forward to more pics and updates on AUW results. 

A close friend recently passed away who owned a bright yellow F24. What the world needs is more replication of that fabulous airplane.

Where did Mike find the glass Fury fuselage? A fabulous measuring stick tool.

Tim's plane is fantastic.  I had been watching him build it on the internet, seeing it up close was nice.  I didn't get a chance to see his documentation but I think he's also been using Waco factory drawings coupled with copious pics and measurements of his subject.

Regarding the weight, I believe as of this morning he's below 15kg.  His weight reduction program has been very aggressive, however he still needs to squeeze an interior in there.

I agree that there is plenty of talent here and we could field quite an F4 team, it's good to hear that we're putting on an F4C qualifier next month.

I believe that Mike got those molded Fury pieces from someone in England but I forget the name.

Ben

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: August/02/2023 at 3:59pm  Quote

Not to sound critical...weight is the most difficult element requiring monsterous amounts of comparing materials, thicknesses, adhesive type, alternative paint/primer type, tire/wheel composition, whether to or not cut a part from a fiberglass fuselage and use it on a project...or create a mold for that part then either vacuum form or lay-up a thinner glass part, leading edge material...the list goes on and on prior to making the first cut of whatever.

Its too easy to look at something and make a snap decision..."I don't need to worry about that....its small" ;^) There are huge pits to fall into along the ( weigh :) to a flying 15kg. Keith's easiest savings would have been before covering and paint. Its easy to laser cut circles from non-structural sheeting...aka the sheeting surround of the cockpit area in this pic. Thin G-10 could have achieved the need for sheeting...but you have to weigh everything as the build progresses.

RCSB's Richard Crapp is an excellent example of managing a project from cradle to grave. Following Sir Richard's threads will quickly fill some voids in anyone's building practices.

Click pic 2C...A great flight in horrific winds...less than 15kg...

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/05/2023 at 6:48am  Quote

I just saw a post from Tim Dickey his weight reduction program has been going well! He’s down to 32.5#. That’s pretty impressive being able to get that much weight out of a completed aircraft.

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United Kingdom United Kingdom
IP Logged
Posted: August/05/2023 at 7:08am  Quote

Regarding the hawker fury parts he probably got them from fighter aces here in the uk.

]
] ]