]
Author / Post
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: March/21/2024 at 10:18am  Quote

Sparky

I'm proud to say that I have never owned a "foamie" or "ARF". All my projects are scratch built from the traditional materials and plan built, although everyday it is getting tougher to find materials. I'm doing my part, although we are few and far between.

Dan

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: March/21/2024 at 12:42pm  Quote

Quote: Slowflight
So lets try this again, Unfortunately our hobby is slowly dying for many reasons, for one we have a generation that is not willing to invest the time to build cause they prefer the instant gratification of a foamy, that leads to less demands for parts and companies like Robart, Tru turn and so many other have to shut down cause their sales can’t sustain them.
You can also blame corporate globalism, the big companies swallow the small ones and they source their products over seas to enjoy higher revenues.

Long ago I kept telling my local guys to support the LHS or one day they would close doors, well there isn’t a hobby shop in my area within a 40 mile radius, and the ones a little further only have foamies and dune buggies, so we have to order everything on line from the big guys.

I dont see this hobby of scale building surviving another 10 years, there simply wont be any companies left to supply our needs, everything will be ARF and foamies, nothing wrong with them, just not the same as a built model.

The signs are all over even Top Gun is no longer.

Just my humble opinion

You are absolutely right Slowflight, too bad for our hobby.  Bummer that Robart, Truturn, Laser engines, not to mention others are stoping production, it is becoming harder and harder to find parts we need, we will end up making some of those parts, hopefully other suppliers come up and offer options. I don't think this situation will discourage our love for Scale building.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
I Spell Bob Backwards
IP Logged
Posted: March/21/2024 at 2:10pm  Quote

For all of the plans/short kits I have to build, the only one I do not have is for the Ziroli D-18. I have the full kit, plans and glass. All other gear had been purchased or Darrel confirmed it was an easy gear to make.

The item that confuses me is the 245 Fowler Flap hinge. The announcement did say hinges would not be affected, but there are none in stock and all retail sources have confirmed that Robart will not make them. I realized that I need two sets of hinges for the Hostetler 27% Cessna 421.

Waco Brotherhood #263
Flying:
   33% Waco, 33% Pitts, 45% Pitts, 20% T-28 Trojan
Building:
     DS Eastern L-749 Silver Fleet Connie, 25% Dauntless SBD-4, 18 Unbuilt Kits in the wings

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: March/21/2024 at 3:19pm  Quote

Quote: boB
For all of the plans/short kits I have to build, the only one I do not have is for the Ziroli D-18. I have the full kit, plans and glass. All other gear had been purchased or Darrel confirmed it was an easy gear to make.
<br>
The item that confuses me is the 245 Fowler Flap hinge. The announcement did say hinges would not be affected, but there are none in stock and all retail sources have confirmed that Robart will not make them. I realized that I need two sets of hinges for the Hostetler 27% Cessna 421.

Well boB you know I have a set, im doubtful I’ll make another D18 so…….. you have my number.

Hangar:
1/4 Piper Navy Replica Piper J3, Travel Air D4D, NA50
On the bench. 1/3 L4 Piper
Waiting 1/3 Cessna OA2, 1/3 Bucker Jungmann 1/3 Spacewalker

Avatar User Offline Planecrazy200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Scale Head
IP Logged
Posted: April/20/2024 at 11:37am  Quote

How true is it that Robart is folding its tables? Any talk of being bought? What a shame, they just relocated and had to know prior to this move things were not good. Should have gone to a super tax friendly state to shave a few more dollars and hired some lower cost labor. Wyoming and Navada would have been a good move. Well, I hope the staff at Sierra Giant Scale are getting plenty of sleep and making plans to design and build more gear to cover the need for Ziroli gear. Namely the D-17, D-18, P-61, DC-3/C-47, F9F and others that are not the run of the mill F-?. I still need a bunch of the Ziroli gear myself and I am sure so do others.

Built...still counting! Let you know when I retire.
Building H421-C,YZero,FWTA-154
Next Up Macchi 202,R C500 enlg,125"

Admin Group
Admin Group
RCSB Owner/Founder
IP Logged
Posted: April/20/2024 at 11:42am  Quote

Let's put it this way.. They sold all their machining equipment. :-(

They are out of the gear business. It was just not profitable to maintain all that equipment and salaries for the number of sales they had.

Making retractable landing gear is a labor intensive high cost product.

Darryl at Sierra bought the wheel equipment and molds from them, but not the retract side.

That is pretty much all that is known at this point.

Update Your Browser!

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: April/20/2024 at 2:51pm  Quote

It's almost like the hobby is regressing to what it once was in the 1960s when there weren't many companies providing specialized products for the RC market. The relatively small RC (and control-line) community had no choice but to make their own parts.  It was simpler times, but also simpler models.  Still, some of these "simple" models were quite amazing.

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of Australia Australia
IP Logged
Posted: April/20/2024 at 4:57pm  Quote

Let's hope Darryl of Sierra keeps on going.  I need to get a set of Bates Yak 3 gear at some point.

For those after the Ziroli type gear there is a retracts supplier in Australia called Custom Retracts.  He is easy to work with and while not Sierra standard its not bad for the price.

Linky - - - >  CUSTOM RETRACTS

I have a few sets of his gear, Vailly Seafury, P51, P40 and Spitfire.
The Seafury has Customer Retracts gear but have now fitted Sierra wheels and tail retract.

]
] ]