] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: March/20/2024 at 11:01am  Quote

I suspect an additional factor is that equipment wears out and people retire. Neither can be replaced cheaply. 

The hobby is definitely changing but I don't know about dying. The big topic at my local club's meeting is how to squeeze our funfly in among the other events on the calendar. 

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: March/20/2024 at 1:29pm  Quote

Am also sad Robart is closing up. Have been in the hobby since the early 70s and things are always changing. Have recently started designing and making landing gear components and engine mufflers via CAD and having the parts 3D printed. The potential to make things for yourself exactly as you'd like them at reasonable cost and not have to stand up a (very expensive) machine shop has arrived. The precision of what can be printed now is more than adequate for landing gear mechanism components. My experience is the cost is equal to or less than buying similar components from Robart or the competition; at least for the half dozen items I've made of either aluminum or steel. The cost is more the time to learn CAD (I use OnShape which is a full CAD tool available online for no cost) and draw what you want. The upside is complete design control over material selection and structural design which allows one to make custom design improvements and stronger landing gear mechanisms.

Queue: Z-DC3
Chandler, AZ

Avatar User Offline maxwell6217@aol.com
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: March/20/2024 at 8:46pm  Quote

I went to the local hobby store and was lucky enough to buy $400 worth of Robart air tanks, valves and fittings. While at the store the manager also showed me a text from Sullivan Products, they are also stopping production, another great loose to the hobby. I understand that builder numbers are reducing, but the hobby is still going well, and we need to support it as it is and as builders. We have had the best club membership numbers in the past several years and event numbers are still strong. I still have 40+ kits waiting to be built, and at 64 planning on building them all. We have always in the past found ways to build great models and I am sure that will continue, just keep building and enjoy our great hobby as builders.

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: March/20/2024 at 9:41pm  Quote

The need for Instant gratification has killed our Hobby, and the skills it used to generate.
My local club has about 100 members and one of the best flying sites in the US.

The flyers are either Foamy ARFs, and when they crash... Oh well, we just buy another one. 
Or, very expensive Turbine jets that the members Assembled. 
 No "Builder of the model" exists.

To the best of my knowledge, I am the only Club member that still builds a model from a set of plans.
Very sad.
Alan

Woodway, TX

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: March/20/2024 at 11:02pm  Quote

This is sad news indeed!
It's becoming a monthly event that some RC company is closing down or cutting back production.
I just read, last week Laser Engines in the UK is also closing doors!

I'm sure there are many factors that contributes to this situation and inflation is one of them, the cost of Balsa and ply went up 30% in the last 3 or 4 years. Aluminum 50%. Then we have the instant gratification generation........

All I can say is, support your local shop as much as possible and hone on your building skills. One of these days we will have to start making our own stuff just like in the good ol'days.

JG

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: March/21/2024 at 7:50am  Quote

Quote: Alan
The need for Instant gratification has killed our Hobby, and the skills it used to generate.
My local club has about 100 members and one of the best flying sites in the US. <br>
<br>
The flyers are either Foamy ARFs, and when they crash... Oh well, we just buy another one. 
Or, very expensive Turbine jets that the members Assembled. 
 No "Builder of the model" exists.<br>
<br>
To the best of my knowledge, I am the only Club member that still builds a model from a set of plans.
Very sad.
Alan<br>

Alan we have over 250 members presently, we had 300 at one point with fantastic facilities, we are the largest club in south Florida and we have 5 builders everyone else is on ARFs foamies of pre-assembled jets. How can the hobby of building survive at this rate.

Hangar:
1/4 Piper Navy Replica Piper J3, Travel Air D4D, NA50
On the bench. 1/3 L4 Piper
Waiting 1/3 Cessna OA2, 1/3 Bucker Jungmann 1/3 Spacewalker

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
AMA L7278
IP Logged
Posted: March/21/2024 at 8:15am  Quote

Quote: pomroyj
Am also sad Robart is closing up. Have been in the hobby since the early 70s and things are always changing. Have recently started designing and making landing gear components and engine mufflers via CAD and having the parts 3D printed. 

Are you actually having the metal parts printed? I know 3D printing for metal (using laser sintering and other methods) exists but I had no idea that it was cheap enough to do it at consumer scale at a cost that was attainable for consumers... I thought it was still in the realm of SpaceX, or GE making a prototype printed jet engine.

Quote: maxwell6217@aol.com
I went to the local hobby store and was lucky enough to buy $400 worth of Robart air tanks, valves and fittings. While at the store the manager also showed me a text from Sullivan Products, they are also stopping production, another great loose to the hobby.

Did you see this first hand?  You are the second person Ive heard say this about Sullivan but haven't seen any official corroboration of it from them.

This is what I really worry about - sure we can all cut from plans, make our own fiberglass molds, and 3D print plastic parts -  but making stuff like clevises, ball links, small metal hardware, landing gear parts, etc at home will be a real pain if you are not a trained machinist.

Quote: Alan

I am also one of the very few in my club that builds but I am not convinced its 100% instant gratification consumerism at fault.  Part of it is all the other demands on peoples time these days we simply don't have the free time our parents generation did.  And part of it is that younger folks are spending that free time in other ways - they may not be cutting balsa but they are playing with 3D printing, coding their own flight controllers, etc.

I am as sad as you to see the traditional methods go, but in a way its progress.  When was the last time you had to get out the soldering iron an assemble a kit to listen to music?  When was the last time you had to adjust the points on your car? etc.

On Hold: Proctor Albatros
Queue: Proctor EIII, GTM DrI

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
IP Logged
Posted: March/21/2024 at 8:42am  Quote

Platt rule #7 Scarfoligy.
Buy it now because it might not be available when you need it.
Time to attend the swap meets.
Crying in your beer wont solve this.
Sparky

Gamma RIP

]
] ]