Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Introduce Yourself>New from CA and Seeking Suggestions Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 4 Pages 1 2 3 4
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: March/21/2021 at 9:35pm  Quote

Quote: DavidSee
Thankfully, I have an understanding and supportive family who indulges my airplane geekery.

Anyone who uses the phrase "airplane geekery" is all right in my book! Welcome, brother! 

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Avatar User Offline chris freeman
Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: March/21/2021 at 9:39pm  Quote

Quote: abufletcher
Quote: chris freeman
And get you competent with all of the relevant systems required in such an airframe.

And if you want to build WWII warbirds, you'll have to get REAL comfortable with sheeting (with balsa), fiberglassing, priming, sanding, and re-priming.

I have learned more about bodywork building RC planes than I have working on and rebuilding cars 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: March/21/2021 at 9:53pm  Quote

I have learned more about bodywork building RC planes than I have working on and rebuilding cars 

Sometimes it seems like building WWII warbirds (not to mention jets) is an entirely different skill set from my WWI modeling.  I wouldn't even know where to begin. 

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: March/21/2021 at 10:13pm  Quote

I would buy a Real Flite simulator for starters—- will save time and some planes. Also nothing wrong with foamies—- the vast majority fly very well, are available in a variety of platforms (from scale plane, jet and 150 mph race planes) and always nice to have a few around if you need to make a sacrifice to the RC gods.

On the board:
Hostetler Mong Bipe
Next up: Meister Platinum 1/4 Me109(3W 110iCS)

Avatar User Offline chris freeman
Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: March/21/2021 at 10:36pm  Quote

Quote: abufletcher

Sometimes it seems like building WWII warbirds (not to mention jets) is an entirely different skill set from my WWI modeling.  I wouldn't even know where to begin. 

I think the same could be said for going the other direction. As long as I have been building airplanes I am just now learning how to cover with fabric. It is definitely a different skill set than working with composites.

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: March/22/2021 at 6:16am  Quote

Quote: martyt
I would buy a RealFlite simulator for starters—- will save time and some planes.

Also strongly recommend.  You'll easily make up the cost in the planes that you don't crash.   

RealFlite is great for getting past the "dumb thumbs" stage and "wet-wiring" stick moves.  One of the toughest things for newcomers is that a model going away from you seems to react differently from a model coming towards you.  (Left rudder is still left rudder and right aileron is still right aileron, but that's not how your brain will see it.)

Note:  RealFlite is only for Windows.

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: March/22/2021 at 8:06am  Quote

"One of the toughest things for newcomers is that a model going away from you seems to react differently from a model coming towards you "

When learning to fly a model, I also used a Sim. But when flying a Trainer model I tried to put my brain inside the model.  That helped overcome the difference in reaction from the model going way from me to coming towards me.
Alan

Woodway, TX

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: March/22/2021 at 8:09am  Quote

Get with a club and a willing instructor!  That will save you more grief than anything else.

Don't hesitate to bring your questions here or at the club or both.  Another grief saver.

Any simulator is helpful but, they do not correct the bad habits you'll pick up on your own.  An instructor will (or should) do that.

An ARF to get in the air quickly with some assembly.  While learning on the ARF, build a trainer with some more advanced capabilities.

High (shoulder) wing, trike gear (nose wheel), rudder, elevator, throttle and ailerons to start with.  You can start with a tail dragger but it adds an element to the equation.

The Sig Cub makes a good trainer for building and tail dragger flying.  Pay close attention to building a flat wing and proper setup of it regarding incidence angle and strut support.  Stay very basic for any scale details in this one (seat and paper panel).  And it will definitely teach you about ground handling and rudder control/use.  I actually had one student 'Drive' his Cub around the field without a wing.  Just to get use to the rudder.  Just enough throttle to get it rolling.

Now for my shameless plug for my preferred trainer.  Proctors Mini-Antic.  Not for anyone but from a flying point of view it is most forgiving.  And from a building point of view it pretty much does it all.  But it IS pricey to be used as a trainer. I built my first one in 10 days, box to flight line.  And this includes a silk and dope covering.  That was 41 years ago and I still have and fly it.  My 4th one has been sitting in a box for about 5 years now.  With age comes change.

Good luck to you.  I think you're on the right course.  And don't hesitate to ask your questions.

]
] ]