Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Introduce Yourself>Greetings From Colorado Springs Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump  
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Avatar User Offline ColoradoGrayMan
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: June/24/2020 at 10:53pm  Quote

I've dreamt of a Bud Nosen kit for over a decade.   Life has changed and I find myself with 2 Nosen kits and a Royal PA-18 105" kit.  

The Nosen 105" Citabria is on the building board.  I just started framing the fuse.    I also got a box from the big brown truck today and that was a NIB Bud Nosen 102" Mustang kit.

I don't see any forums dedicated to those kit manufacturers (Royal, Bud Nosen or A&A Industries) on this site.  Before I go to deep... am I on the wrong site?  

I'm a decent kit builder.  I've built a plane or two from plans and made my own fiberglass parts before.  Midwest Extra,  Midwest Cap, Sig Kadet Senior, LT40, 4*60, 4*120, Midwest Citabria, Lanier 1/3 scale Extra 300S, Lanier Giant Stinger, Great Planes 1/3 Extra ... and probably 40 or 50 more but I can't remember them all.   Nothing was complicated or really scale about those airplanes. 

I need help learning how to build a scale airplane.

How do you make scale rivets for a P-51?  I'm thinking that depends on the covering and if you sheeted the whole thing.

I need help with structural modifications.   I think the plane was originally designed around a .60 size geared glow motor, with a RTF weight of 11lbs and fixed gear.  Nobody builds them like that today.  Turning this into a scale plane with retracts and a 60--80cc gas engine on the firewall is going to require a lot more structure.  That seams to be what everybody does with this Mustang kit.  Nobody is flying them with anything smaller than a 35 or 40cc motor today.... and those guys say it flies great.. flat and level.   Most guys report spirited performance with the 70--80cc engines.   I see no reason to reinvent the wheel.  I'm looking for documented build threads that will help me figure out where to replace balsa parts with lite ply or spruce.  Balsa sheer webs or lite ply? Which ribs?  Those kinds of details are critical if I'm going to be successful with this build.

I need help with weathering.  

I need help with covering.   I was going to do fabric. Sig Koverall and Minwax Polyacrylic then paint.   If that's dumb, please tell me where to start reading about how to cover and paint a GS warbird.

Can I learn those techniques here if I'm willing to read?  Or does this site assume you already know those things and is maybe more dedicated to other specific scale models only on the forum pages?  

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: June/25/2020 at 8:35am  Quote

Hi GrayMan, welcome to RCSB!

The reason you don't see dedicated forums for those designers is that there are not enough people building them to warrant a dedicated forum.  Look under Other Designers - also at the top of the page you will see a menu bar - click on Community and the drop down menu will show several items - including Search.  Use Bud Nosen as your search phrase and see what comes up.

As far as rivets, covering, etc. - just about any warbird thread can help with that.  There are several riveting 
methods depending on the aircraft - glue drop method, rivet burning tool, vinyl stick-on rivets and on and on and on.

Weathering too - follow along some threads and you will find weathering techniques.  In the Ziroli forum look at Sandy 2 - the last couple of pages are dealing with weathering.  Dave Platt made a series of videos that address weathering and all sorts of scale information.

Structural issues are something else.  That will take a lot of discussion - but you won't know until you start a thread!  Speaking of that - browse around for a while before starting.  Remember as a basic member you are limited to 5 posts and no picture posting.  Everyone here agress that the subscription price of full membership is well worth the $20.  You will get much more out of the site as a full member!

Let me know if I can help

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
IP Logged
Posted: June/25/2020 at 10:16am  Quote

Welcome to RCSB,
Spend some time lurking and reading the various threads. To be brutally honest those kits don't have a lot of following because there are superior kits/semi kits for these planes that will yield better results on the flight line. I'm not saying it can't be done because dozens have gone before you with nice Nosen models.
First I think you need to evaluate what the final product will be. Are you looking for a nice Sunday flyer? At your elevation (I assume 5,000' when I see Colorado) a 70cc engine will be a wise choice.
Will you build a Cockpit into the plane, a sliding canopy, retractable tailwheel etc..... ?
Spend some time lurking you will learn a lot!
Best $20 you will ever spend.
Sparky

Gamma RIP

Avatar User Offline ColoradoGrayMan
Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: June/25/2020 at 10:23am  Quote

Quote: Sparky
Welcome to RCSB,
Spend some time lurking and reading the various threads. To be brutally honest those kits don't have a lot of following because there are superior kits/semi kits for these planes that will yield better results on the flight line. I'm not saying it can't be done because dozens have gone before you with nice Nosen models.
First I think you need to evaluate what the final product will be. Are you looking for a nice Sunday flyer? At your elevation (I assume 5,000' when I see Colorado) a 70cc engine will be a wise choice.
Will you build a Cockpit into the plane, a sliding canopy, retractable tailwheel etc..... ?
Spend some time lurking you will learn a lot!
Best $20 you will ever spend.
Sparky

I'll lurk and read for a bit.  

The field elevation is close to 7,000 ft so its definitely getting a large power plant.

Not a Sunday flier.  I'm going to try and muster up a nice scale plane.... sliding canopy, cockpit, retracts... tailwheel too.  There's a big event out here every year called "Warbirds over the Rockies".  I wanna go.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
IP Logged
Posted: June/25/2020 at 10:42am  Quote

I think that is a flyin only not a scale contest....but I could be wrong.
Start with your documentation before you lay the first piece of wood.
Lots of guidance here look in the tutorials.
Sparky

Gamma RIP

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: June/25/2020 at 12:05pm  Quote

WoR is deniinetly a fly-in, but with some awesome warbirds!  And many of the RCSB members attend.

Let me know if I can help

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: June/25/2020 at 12:20pm  Quote

Hey GrayMan,
If I may also welcome you to this site as well. I’ve “only” posted my builds of Guillow’s kits here on this site (look under “Other Kits” column on 2nd page under “Super Detailing Guillow’s Wright Bros’ Flyer & S.E.5”) & although they’re not R/C’s or warbirds, I’ve super detailed many items from scratch & should give you a start on inspiration for detailing. In short, everyone here such as Sparky & Jeff who are far more advanced than I, will jump in and offer you any help you need: from research, techniques, styles, suggestions on power plants, radios, balance, aerodynamics, CAD, 3-D, & so much more.

You’ll become part of the family real quick.

Gary

]
] ]