Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Introduce Yourself>Introduction: I’m Skyediamonds from Reno Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 3 Pages 1 2 3
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: April/05/2018 at 10:55pm  Quote

Jeff,

Good evening, and glad to hear from you.  Happier still that you & I can relate to the -580.  My daughter is a nurse practitioner for a veterinary hospital and commutes daily from her home in Manteca to near the Bay Area on the -580.  Most happier still more, you hit that hammer on the nail about searching for topics.  I was trying to figure that one out.  I'm interested in all types of aircraft from biplanes to jets.  Lately, I've found myself attracted to biplanes, Golden Age of Aviation, classics of the fifties (civilian or military), rare or unusual aircraft.  I used to personally know, and be very close friends, of the late Peter Westburg.  For those who may not know, Peter is famous for his incredibly accurate and detailed drawings of aircraft that rival those of Bill Wylam.  Great guy.

JQ, thank you for your welcome.  It's most appreciated and I'm grateful.

Sincerely,

Gary

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: April/06/2018 at 12:09am  Quote

Welcome, Gary!

I see you come bearing gifts in the form of information about Peter Westburg drawings.  I wasn't aware of this but just did a google search and WOW!  What a treasure trove!  I've always liked the Berliner Joyce P-16.

Here is an order from from the NASM for his drawings...all in 32" x 40" size!

I'm eager to see what you've done with the Guillow's SE5a.  As I kid I build all of the Guillow's WWI series (my favorite was the Rumpler CI).  Do you already have a website documenting your build...or are you planning on building it here?  If you already have a website, it's easy enough to post a link.  All you have to do is type something like "my SE5a" then highlight it, then click on the "U-turn button" and then paste in your link. 

Posting photos is also easy enough once you figure out how to manage the size (less than 1200px wide or tall and less than 175k).

--Don

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: April/06/2018 at 12:45am  Quote

Don,

Good evening.  I used to live in L.A. and Peter used to live in Santa Monica which is about 45 minutes from where I lived.  He spread his detailed drawings over 3-4 pages whereas Wylam tried to cram it all on one page, giving it the illusion that there was more information packed into his drawings than they really were.  Peter used to take great glee in pointing out spme pf the inaccuracies of Wylam.  They were friendly rivals, and it tickled me to know end.  We'd spend hours together.  

I will follow your guidance and try to post a few photos of the S.E. 5.  Don't have a website or build thread.  How do I start one in order that I may start posting the S.E. 5?  I must admit that I surprised myself at the level of detailing I managed to cram into such a small Guillow's S.E. 5 and the Wright Bros' Flyer.  Spent months researching both before committing to the build and even researched more while the build was taking place.

Thank you for your help.  I may ask you for more from time to tine until I get my feet a bit more wet.  Hope you don't mind.

Sincerely,

Gary

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: April/06/2018 at 1:35am  Quote

Gary,

I grew up in Orange but have spent my adult working like (English teaching) overseas:  Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Oman, Mexico, Japan.  I've been in Japan for the last 20 years. I only got into RC in 2003 during a sabbatical at UCLA.  When I was about twelve, I ordered at set of Joseph Nieto and William Wylam drawings from the NASM.  And I've treasured them ever since.  Over the years I came to realized that the Wylam drawings contain inaccuracies...I've lived with them so long that they almost seem like Holy Relics that shouldn't be corrected!    I've got an off-and-on build of a 1/6 scale Fokker DrI based only on the Nieto drawings.  I really do love a good set of technical drawings and the new generation of CAD drawn plans don't hold a candle to them.

Starting your own thread is easy enough.  First, find a forum you want to put your thread in, for example, "scratch builds" or perhaps under the name of a designer or company.  Once you're in that forum, you'll see a button that says "New Topic" in the upper right.  Click on that, type in a title for your thread, e.g. "Gary's Guillows SE5a" and write something.

BTW, I built a 1/6 scale SE5a a few years ago from a kit made in Germany.  I had intended it to be a "quick build" with minimal detailing (and it did only take 8 months), but I ended up doing a lot more detailing that originally planned (based on details from the Replicraft drawings).

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: April/07/2018 at 2:25pm  Quote

Don,

I forgot to mention a couple of things regarding the Berliner Joyce.  First, Peter sold me his collection, including all of his drawings.  The original mylars are donated to SMithsonian from which you can place an order.  However, he couldn't have produced his excellent drawings without some form of research or materials in hand to help.  I can look in my storage facility to see if he's got anything relevant to the Berliner Joyce, and in particular to the P-16.  

Secondly, I recall reading about a modeler who built an extremely detailed R/C Berliner Joyce.  I believe it was in one of the British publications such as Flying Scale Model.  It was an excellent article featuring several photos of the model during construction as well as the finish and of course, flying.  I I can find it, I'll gladly pass on the word to you.  Just let me know your thoughts.

I've got the word portion of posting.  It's just trying to figure out the method of including photos.  I've tried several resized photos and it doesn't seem to work.  I'll keep trying until something happens.

Sincerely,

Gary

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: August/25/2021 at 5:56pm  Quote

Gary,

How goes your air quality? Stay inside man...

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

]
] ]