Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Introduce Yourself>Introduction: I’m Skyediamonds from Reno Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 3 Pages 1 2 3
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: April/04/2018 at 8:35pm  Quote

Quote: BobH
Gary,
You just build what you enjoy. We'll enjoy watching you.  Don't worry about living up to some standard.
So far as I've been on this website (years) I haven't discovered a standard. So please just enjoy.

What Bob said.  On the left next to your screen name it shows you are a site supporter, so you got it right.  Pictures need to be resized to (I think) about 180k - in the FAQ that I linked there is a link to PhotoRazor, a free download that makes resizing pics soooo easy - unless you are on a Mac, in which case I can't help you.

I agree that some of the builds can be quite intimidating - but if you follow along you will eventually find yourself saying "I can do that!"  I have tried with good success using lithoplate on the nose of my Sopwith Strutter, thanks to the encouragement of DragonSlayer.

Don't worry about quality or anything, just post - there are literally thousands of folks on here who are willing to help!

Let me know if I can help

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: April/04/2018 at 9:38pm  Quote

Jeff (& Bob),

Good evening and thank you very much for your encouragement.  With your blessings, I'll "just post and you guys just enjoy" and I'll go from there.  Most of my models lately have been detailing Guillow's kits.  I'm starting to branch out into the world of r/c sized models and expand my skills.  That is my goal.  To improve on my modeling skills by getting as much information as possible from all sources as well as doing a lot of researching to ensure (reasonable) accuracy of the model and advance my modeling skills as much as possible.  My wife and I are currently living in a small apartment so our living space, or even access to some of the tools are pretty much limited to household goods commonly found in most homes.  As a result, I've had to use a lot of imagination to help get around some of those limitations.     

I'll look under the FAQ's for posting photos as I'm still trying to feel my way around here.  My avatar is the Guillow's S.E.5 that was detailed.  Hope you don't mind if I ask a question now and then to help myself up on my feet enough to look around at other builds and eventually post.  

Thank you again very much. 

Gary (Skye)

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: April/04/2018 at 11:28pm  Quote

I built a couple of models (Proctor Micro Antic and a TDM Polilkarpov I-16 Rata) on a piece of plywood laid on a dinner tray!  Really - some razor blades, xacto knives and some sandpaper is all you need for a lot of building - until you get to covering 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: April/05/2018 at 2:25pm  Quote

Jeff,

Good morning, and thank you for that unique perspective to building the Proctor and I-16 Rata.  I'll have to show my wife, Marla your approach to modeling.  That's really neat!  I'm in the process of reviewing all of the rules, protocols, conducts and "How to's" of posting on the site.  Very encouraging.  I'm going to practice some posting with pictures later today and see how it all comes together.  If successful, I'll gladly start posting away.  

Just as an aside: I used to drive big rigs from Nevada to Wal Mart stores all over California.  I've passed through Castro Valley several  times.  Beautiful area, although I gotta admit the traffic on I-580 is rather extreme.  Sorry, don't mean to deviate from the topics of modeling.

I'll focus on practicing on posting and posting with resized photos. I'm kinda excited and looking forward to having a good exchange of ideas.  

Thank you for your inspiration to modeling.  You're correct, modeling really comes down to just cutting, gluing, and sanding until the covering.

Sincerely,

Gary

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: April/05/2018 at 5:10pm  Quote

Gary, 

Welcome to the site !! It is amazing what you can learn from the builders on this site. And trust me when i say builders will learn from you as well. On this forum  we all learn from each other...

Patrick

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: April/05/2018 at 8:06pm  Quote

Patrick,

Good evening and thank you for your words of encouragement.  I'm still "wandering" around trying to get a grip on how to even post a picture or look in an index of various builds.  I'm happy at being accepted by you and everyone else.  Looking forward to joining (& catching up) with you.  

Sincerely,

Gary

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: April/05/2018 at 8:47pm  Quote

Quote: Skyediamonds
Jeff,

Good morning, and thank you for that unique perspective to building the Proctor and I-16 Rata.  I'll have to show my wife, Marla your approach to modeling.  That's really neat!  I'm in the process of reviewing all of the rules, protocols, conducts and "How to's" of posting on the site.  Very encouraging.  I'm going to practice some posting with pictures later today and see how it all comes together.  If successful, I'll gladly start posting away.  

Just as an aside: I used to drive big rigs from Nevada to Wal Mart stores all over California.  I've passed through Castro Valley several  times.  Beautiful area, although I gotta admit the traffic on I-580 is rather extreme.  Sorry, don't mean to deviate from the topics of modeling.

I'll focus on practicing on posting and posting with resized photos. I'm kinda excited and looking forward to having a good exchange of ideas.  

Thank you for your inspiration to modeling.  You're correct, modeling really comes down to just cutting, gluing, and sanding until the covering.

Sincerely,

Gary

The first model I ever built -ages ago! - I built on a piece of plywood on my lap.  Graduated to purpose-built tables finally.  Those two models I mentioned were in the ~20" wing span range so it was no big deal.

Yep - 580 can be a trial.  Fortunately most of the time I am counter-commute.  But if you are headed towards Stockton on a Friday afternoon, you might as well stop and have a nice dinner somewhere - you will get where you are going at about the same time with much less stress!  But it is not LA!

On the top bar menu under Community you will find Search - that can help you find threads that interest you.  It takes a few attempts to figure it out but it is helpful.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: April/05/2018 at 9:22pm  Quote

Bob said it best....welcome

JQ

]
] ]