Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Scale Stories>1/4 scale pilot with 3D replica of face Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump  
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: February/17/2018 at 2:41pm  Quote

Hi All: I am working with some others on a new permanent exhibit that will be coming to the Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum in Savannah, GA. The purpose of this exhibit is to show the contributions to the war effort of a small group of intrepid aviators, the Scouting Forces in WWII. These pilots were mostly former bomber aircraft commanders who had finished their tour and by all rights could have gone home. Some chose to stay to further help out winning the war in Europe. These pilots were trained to fly P-51s and flew ahead of the bomber stream radioing back important information like weather over target, anti-aircraft batteries, and enemy aircraft concentrations. 

My friend Bill Getz is the last surviving member of this group. At 94 years of age, he wants their story to be told. One item that will crown the exhibit is a 1/4 scale CARF P-51 that I will paint in the colors of the plane Bill flew, called Saucy Shirley (named after a girlfriend back home who jilted him while he was away at war!)

I try to be as scale as possible, and that includes the pilot. I am attaching a pilot figure that I got from Warbird Pilots, and we replaced the head with one of Bill from photos taken in 1944. Thanks to Lyle Vasser of Best Pilots for assisting me in getting this done. 

The actual plane kit arrives sometime later this month and we hope to ship the entire exhibit by truck to Savannah around the end of April. 

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: February/17/2018 at 3:41pm  Quote

Lyle is the man when it comes to that kind of work!

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: February/17/2018 at 4:17pm  Quote

He sure is! We collaborated on a couple of other projects using his 1/5 scale pilots a few years ago. Those were for two Corsair pilots from VMF-215, the "Fighting Corsairs". They were Major Bob Owens, the CO of the unit, and the other was the top Corsair ace (25 kills in the Corsair) Lt. Bob Hanson. Bob Owens' family was blown away by the resemblance to their dear, departed relative. 

It ain't cheap, but in this case well worth the price of doing the 3D computer head work!

]
] ]