Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Introduce Yourself>newby to the forums and club Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 3 Pages 1 2 3
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United Kingdom United Kingdom
IP Logged
Posted: August/09/2015 at 12:05pm  Quote

Hi every one, I am known as H the boat, or more commonly just H.  Because I have been involved with them for so long, but my first love has always been Aviation, in every way shape and form.   I am able to return to active modeling now, because I have decided to retire once again from the commercial world. 
 I am an Engineer, have been a Flyer, a Ships Captain, a Ship Designer and Builder, more recently a Teacher and a Farmer. I started Building, Flying and sailing models, in the late 1940's, but the models just kept getting bigger and bigger. R C in the 1950's was very much a miss and miss with the occasional hit.
 I have been away from it for some time and am very out of touch. I have been reading many of the forum threads to try and catch up, so any posts from me, will definitely be seeking help and information. 
I am a U K citizen, but prefer to spend as much time as I can in Spain, principally for the weather.
My first project will be a Gas Turbine powered RC model with a form of FPV, but I am not comfortable with the present forms of control box. I should like to be able to set up a system of control pedestal, that nearly replicates the real thing. I don't know if this has already been done, or if a unit is commercially available. Any lead in that direction would be gratefully received...

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Avatar User Offline Tango Juliet
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: August/09/2015 at 4:58pm  Quote

Welcome to the best Scale R/C Aero-modeling site on the world-wide web!  Good luck with your endeavors!

On The Board - Chris Williams 1/3.5 Slingsby Sedbergh T21b

Member In Good Standing - Builders Slower Than A Dead Turtle Nailed To A Fencepost Association

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of Australia Australia
IP Logged
Posted: August/09/2015 at 6:19pm  Quote

Welcome H,

I like your enthusiasm but your starting at the high end of the hobby.  I'd be looking for a good trainer to put things into perspective since you've been out of it for a while.  These models are not cheap and as I am finding out take time to build properly. 

Good luck!

Troy

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: August/09/2015 at 8:34pm  Quote

I second Troy.  There have been seats built with stick, rudder pedals and throttle but is it all very DIY.  There MAY be one in the RC Modeler plans list but I don't know for sure.

Let me know if I can help

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
IP Logged
Posted: August/09/2015 at 9:18pm  Quote

While a set up with stick and throttle will be fun it WILL NOT accelerate you training to learn to fly in fact with about 10,000 hours in fast jets and equivalent time with models I think it might slow things up some. There are no EASY buttons in modeling but it is a heck of a lot of fun! So unless you have a bucket of money I would suggest you get involved with a local club go and learn to fly with a trainer on buddy box and have a ball along the journey.
Welcome to RCSB,
Sparky

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: August/10/2015 at 3:19am  Quote

Hi and thank you all for the welcome,
just to clear up any misunderstanding, I am not new to flying or modeling, having had many years with the real thing, and at least 50 years with most types of models, except Jets... I am not a competition or show flyer, I build and fly for my own pleasure and satisfaction. There is nothing better or more  satisfying, than having conceived and built something successfully, and then Flying it, Sailing it, or Driving it. Unfortunately I have reached an age where I would not be able to pass a medical to continue to fly the real thing... With the advancement of remote view and telemetry to model size,  my object, would be to recreate as far as possible, the action of the normal cockpit controls to a R C control unit.   It is not the mechanical or even the electrical design and construction of a pedestal that presents any problem. The design and construction of modern control units, do not lend themselves to adaption, unless the manufacturer is interested enough and willing to provide some basic technical information on the construction of their units.  Or someone else has already done it and can provide some input, regardless of if their project was completed, successful  or not.        H.      

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
IP Logged
Posted: August/10/2015 at 7:13am  Quote

H,
I am pretty sure there are no setups commercially available.
Sparky

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: August/11/2015 at 3:22pm  Quote

Hi H
There are some pretty high-tech simulator set-ups that would tick all your boxes as far as control go. not sure if you could adapt it to sending and receiving to a plane rather than the computer?
FPV flying is almost a totally different hobby from what I can tell. I've heard people describe how difficult it is to transition from FPV to normal RC and back even when they are considered expert at both.
Most people are using quadcopters (or oct or whatever) as an FPV platform as it gives a much more stable platform with many automatic features for safety including gyros, position hold and return to home although fixed wing FPV is definitely achievable and prevalent.
If you can get it (the simulated control idea) sorted, I'm sure that many people would love to try and replicate it!

Surely you could rip apart and adapt a transmitter to a flight yoke and throttle set up with switches etc. The Taranis platform would offer great flexibility in the programming side of things and it's a pretty cheap experiment!

Welcome to the forum (feels weird typing that as a noob!) and I'm looking forward to following your progress.
Clayt

]
] ]