Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Introduce Yourself>New Scale Builder B17’s Projects Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 3 Pages 1 2 3
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: April/27/2013 at 7:57am  Quote

Hello,

Let me introduce myself. I am new to scale building site. I am so glad their is a place online to help me with my project and learning quest.  I am starting with my favorite plane 3 x B17 projects (B17G, B17F, and Y1B-17). The three B17 have been my favorite planes since I was a child.  I have been building RC planes since the 80's. Even worked at a Hobby store (Hobby Shack) while I was in High school. This is my first big scale projects now that I can afford it as an adult.

The wing span of the B17's I am building is 120 inches. I plan to use 4x ASP .61 on the B17G, 4x Saito .40B17F, and 4x OS .40FP on the Y1B17.

My goal is to become a master scale builder, and hope to get as much help and tips from the experts on the site.

Thanks again for having me on your site.

~Tony

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: April/27/2013 at 9:19am  Quote

Tony, you picked the right place! You won't be able to gleen much from me, but there are members here that will astound you.

Welcome!

Flying: 1/4 BUSA Cub, 1/4 BUSA Nieuport 11
On Hold: 1/4 SS DIII, 1/4 Sopwith Baby
Building: 1/3 BUSA DVII for a club member

Avatar User Offline howlingriffon
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: April/27/2013 at 9:43am  Quote

Welcome aboard Tony! Looking forward to seeing some build threads.  I would suggest you take a look at becoming a site supporter.  It is the best investment I've made in the hobby!
Jason

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: April/28/2013 at 8:46pm  Quote

Hey Tony, welcome!  As Jason mentioned, the site supporter program gives you a lot more freedom on the site, as well as access to the walkarounds and scale plans. LINK

Have you done any fiberglassing, painting or installing of retracts?  If not, you might want to start with a simpler project to gain the skills that you can transfer to and do justice on your B17s.

Let me know if I can help

Basic Member
Basic Member
Passed Away 2014
IP Logged
Posted: April/29/2013 at 12:13pm  Quote

Hi Tony. I toowould like to welcome you to the site. Jeff's advice is sound. This is a very ambitous project> just one of these along would likely be a twoyear project. Starting with something simpler would more likely lead to success. Have a look around on the site and you will get tons of ideas how to approach things and by allmeans start a thread with your build so help will be available if you need it.

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: April/29/2013 at 10:08pm  Quote

Thanks guys for the welcome,

Yes indeed this project has been in the works for 3 years now.  Building 3 at a time saves the work of just done one at a time. Yep I just found the site after all that time. I think I have 1 - 2 years more depending on the detail. Which is next since the base frame work is complete. I been using Nick Ziroli base plan to create the planes.

B17G is 80 Percent.
Wing Done
Fuse Done
Tail Done
Retract- Have not installed air before.

B17F is at 70 Percent.
Wing Done
Fuse 50 Percent Done
Tail Done but not covered.

Y1B17 is at 75 Percent.
Wing Done
Fuse 50 Percent Done
Tail Done Half Covered with Solartex.

I will post my pictures soon as I become a Site Supporter.

These estimate will probably change since I been reading rivets looks like one giant task.
Also I thinking about making them bomb drop which will put the wings back onto the work bench.

I just invested in the DX18 radio for this plane which might be overkill since I only been using basic functions for RC Flying.

Thanks again for the welcome guys.

~Tony

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
IP Logged
Posted: April/30/2013 at 12:46am  Quote

Tony,
Welcome to the site sounds like you are well along on your projects. I just looked over the specs of your planes do you have any weights for the completed portions of your planes and project a final weight? I am a little concerned about the power you are using, they look to be a little anemic from the power and what has historically been used in such a large model. Don't get me wrong it if the planes are kept light you should expect success.
If you have never used a high end computer radio you will be frustrated until you have used it on a few planes and discover all the features that will make your life so much easier. The key thing is that you should be able to program all your servos so no Y harness is needed any were on the plane. It is so handy to adjust each servo as needed in a dual servo setup like would be installed on each elevator half.
Sparky

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: April/30/2013 at 1:53am  Quote

Sparky,

I have not considered the final weight. Not even sure what it will weigh with all the solartex and servo's are installed. The plans which I purchase was here

here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Giant-Scale-B17G-FLYING-FORTRESS-scr atch-build-rc-plane-Plans-Pattern-125-ws-/130895690278?pt=US _Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item1e79fdba26

It says it can use: Power: 40 - 46(two cycle or 52(four cycle)

The concern which I think is on the B17F which has the 4x Saito .40 (FA-40a) which are four cycle engine's. It is a bit lower then the recommended .52. Do you think this might be an issue? 

Thanks for the heads up on the DX18 also for the servo's. I was thinking about doing Y harnesses then do a servo reverse soldier on the elevator not a direct wire to the receiver.

The servo's which the local Hobby store said I can use are the Hitec HS-485.  I also have some HS-645 which I can use for the elevator if more torque is needed. 

The Receiver which the Hobby store sold me is the Spectrum AR12110 which has two inputs for power and two high power regulator.

Soon as the covering is done I plan to start putting the radio equipment on.

Is their a good thread to understand how the radio setup should be done on a plane like this?
Like how do I install the servo for each engine. is it all Y Harnesses?

Devil is always in the details.... :)

Soon as I get my site supporter authorized I will create a thread on my progress.

Thanks,

~Tony

]
] ]