] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: August/30/2012 at 5:43pm  Quote

I don't know if there is a time limit for introducing yourself here.  I've been hanging around for a couple years; however, I decided to say hello now since I went ahead and started a build thread here: TF DC-3/C-53 Skytrooper Build

I started building stick & tissue planes about 37 years ago.  I still remember when I graduated up to using silkspan.  My dad taught me how to build and how to fly control line (basic stuff with a Cox trainer).  We started flying RC about 32 years ago with a HeathKit radio he assembled.  We bought a whole setup that came with a pretty darn cool Cessna that was ABS and skinned foam.  Soon after the Cessna crashed, we built a glider and later the Sig Kadet, which were both covered in the really modern MonoKote.  I have stayed with RC modeling and building off-and-on through the years as time allows.  I fly mostly sport airplanes; but have flown gliders, helicopters, electric stuff, cars and boats. 

Twenty years ago I started skydiving.  The picture below is me landing a demonstration jump at an airshow in 2010.  I am a skydiving instructor with my Tandem rating to take passengers hooked to me and Accelerated Free Fall rating to teach others how to skydive on their own.  I also had the chance to help train the Air Force Para Jumpers (PJ's) to do tandem skydives.  The second photo is a shot of our instructor group in front of the "ride" the PJ's had us using.

In 2008 I started building my first "scale" airplane, the Global Skyraider.  My father had purchased the kit back in the 90's and never got a chance to finish it.  I finished building her as an A-1H in dad's squadron markings from when he worked on them while he was in the Navy.  The pics below are a couple "glamor shots" I took when I finished the build in June 2009.

During that project, I had the chance to take my family out to Edwards AFB in May 2009 and watch the Shuttle land.  The photo below is not great, but you get the impression.  My family is great, on Saturday afternoon dad says let's go to Mojave and wait to see if the Shuttle lands in California.  My wife and son just rolled their eyes and said OK.  We got to watch the landing early Sunday morning.  Hey, dad may be crazy, but he's fun sometimes

In July 2009 I had an incident where my transmitter shorted at the battery lead/plug and the Skyraider cart-wheeled into the runway.  Here is a picture after the rebuild that I finished in September 2009.

The Skyraider does not look anything like what they fly now (a VA-25 F-18 is shown below) which I got to see up close at the 2010 NAS Lemoore Air Show.  BTW, during this airshow, my family thought I was crazy (again) because I spent an hour taking photos of the C-47 "Betsy's Biscuit Bomber." Hey, I wanted more detail photos for my Skytrooper project.

I competed in Open Class of the Central CA Scale Masters Qualifier in August 2010 with the Skyraider.  I came in 2nd at that event, but did not go and compete in the championship.  After the qualifier, it was suggested that I build a bigger airplane and work on competition.  Well, as I looked at options, I bought a "bigger" plane, but the Top Flite DC-3 is a smaller scale than the Skyraider.  So, we'll see what I do with this plane after I get her finished and how she looks.  My plan is to complete her as a C-53 painted in post D-Day trim.

Besides skydiving, I also help out with my son's Boy Scout Troop.  We had the chance to attend Camp Cherry Valley on Catalina Island this summer and had a great time.

Along with the other things I have to do, like work, it will be interesting to see if I can get the C-53 done in a reasonable amount of time.  I started building the kit in November 2011.  Since that time, I have already hit a few delays, but plan to get her in the air before the end of next season.  Sometimes Buddy, my building buddy, is not that motivated to get off the couch and help me work on the plane.

That's a bit about me...  Or, a bit too much, but thanks for listening

Thanks for all the help and information you guys provide on this Site - I would not be able to get through these scale projects without you.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Basic Member
Basic Member
Passed Away 2014
IP Logged
Posted: August/30/2012 at 7:09pm  Quote

Welcome Tom. I love your last name.

Never to late to say hello. We are fast approaching the building season-hope we see you build something.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: August/30/2012 at 10:19pm  Quote

Hi Tom - I am not too far North of you, I fly with SACRC in Union City.  Come up sometime - and if you are ready in time, come on up to the 49er Qualifier in May, or the Dan Sullivan in June (Woodland and Ukiah, respectively) - both are great events and that gives you a couple more chances to qualify.

BTW - unless you are in team, you can qualify in Expert with one plane and fly at the Championships with another

Glad you spoke up!

Let me know if I can help

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/31/2012 at 12:04pm  Quote

Thanks for the replies Ron and Jeff.

Ron, I'm in the process of building the C-53 now.  However, I hit a snag again last night when I discovered my building board is not big enough for the fuselage.  I plan to build a temporary board this weekend and hope to get the frame going by the end of Labor Day...

Jeff, I went to the Woodland-Davis Wings of Victory event a couple of years ago.  I have met Forrest B and Jeff L while I was visiting the "old" field.  I want to visit their new location some time.

I have thought of flying the Skyraider at the 49er Qualifer in Open Class again.  I would just polish up some scale details on her and try for a couple more static points.  That way I'll get some more scale competition flying experience.

If that works OK, then I may be able to do something with the C-53.  But I was so busy this year that I didn't even go to fly at the Fresno scale event. 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: August/31/2012 at 7:53pm  Quote

Woodland is still improving the new field, but it is very nice for flying now - no worries about overflying the road any more.  Now all you have to worry about is putting down in the next pasture - bulls. 

Let me know if I can help

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: April/19/2020 at 1:05am  Quote

It's been so long, I was thinking I had to re-introduce myself..  Hi, I'm Tom..

I put off my DC-3 building project for way too long..  My last post was back in 2013 

But, I have got to do a few cool things in the years I wasn't building the future Skytooper...

I was part of an unofficial world record.  Back in 2014 the "Parachutist Over Pforty" (POPs) group got 130 of us friends in the air over Perris Valley. I'm the guy in the black jumpsuit and red helmet.

Oh, and because my last avatar was up for so long, I swapped it out for a photo of my new-ish parachute.  It was new back in 2014...

Besides that, we moved into a new house (smaller than the last 2-story thing we owned), I changed jobs, and even bought some foam airplanes...  Which can be surprisingly fun to fly..  We have a local park that allows flying electric, so it is a lot closer trip than the flying field.

There has been plenty of other things going on.. But, the good news is that the Top Flite DC-3 made it through two moves, several years of not working on it, and is now back on the building table..  I have a thread going in the Top Flite forum..  

It's not really a "scale" detail build any more. It's a Get The Plane Done and fly it build now [smile]..

Blue Skies...

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
IP Logged
Posted: April/19/2020 at 9:02am  Quote

Hi Tom,
Hollow core doors make great building boards! They normally are dead flat and sometimes you can find them with one side damaged and the other fine. I laminated countertop to one side and it is quite handy and sits on two sawhorses so i can stow it away when not needed.
10k+ hrs of flight time and never need to hit the silk, I think I could be up for a tandem jump you might need an cargo chute for me at 250 pounds but sounds fun.
Sparky

Gamma RIP

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: April/19/2020 at 10:43am  Quote

That must be you, in the upper left corner....

At 928 total time compared to Sparky’s 10k, I don’t think I qualify for tandem so I’ll watch (from a safe distance, just in case).

I’ve flown to Perris Valley myself. Great field with the standard FAA-approved 50-foot obstacle at the end of the runway (trees).

I’ve been through Clovis, Calif dozens of times. Nice community with lots of open farmlands just south of Fresno.

From the intro, sounds like your father was one cool dad.

Jeff, please keep me updated on the modeling events. I just might surprise myself.

Welcome back.

Gary

]
] ]