Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Site Polls>Time to confess... :-) Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
] ] ]
]
Poll Question : How many unbuilt model kits (short and full) do you own?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
50 [ 6.23% ]
285 [ 35.49% ]
208 [ 25.90% ]
94 [ 11.71% ]
166 [ 20.67% ]
You can not vote in this poll
]
] ]
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of Canada Canada
IP Logged
Posted: February/03/2014 at 12:10am  Quote

OMG, there must be something wrong with me.
I have none. Build one at a time, and go from there. I think if I had a stockpile, I might loose interest in what I have hoarded away.
One at a time builder here

Craig

Projects Completed
1/13, Lancaster
1/3, GTM DR1
1/3 BALSA USA SOPWITH PUP
TF Giant P-47
1/6, He 219
Current Projects
Comp ARF P-51
1/6 Lancaster

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: February/03/2014 at 7:54am  Quote

I have only stock piled the two I have because I know that eventually I will build them.  Many of the plans I have will likely go unbuilt and that's O.K.  If I kick-off before they are built, the wife can have a nice little fire with the plans and I will not have wasted too much money!  I would not have purchased the kits, had kits in the size range I like still been available.

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
DYNAMIC-RC.com
IP Logged
Posted: February/03/2014 at 11:01am  Quote

Counting only giant scale "scale" projects, I'm in the double digits. And that doesn't count the other 10+ at some state of completion on my CAD system.

Follow my mayhem @ Dynamic RC

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Avatar User Offline Planecrazy200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Scale Head
IP Logged
Posted: February/03/2014 at 1:22pm  Quote

Since my last entry on page one I have added a Hostetler Mr. Mulligan, P6 Hawk, Cherokee,  Smith HS-129, KI-61 Hien, Byron F-16, Bates P-51 B/C ( plan only, kit to follow shortly Get it ready Larry K! order coming soon.) for Chrismas the girlfriend bought me the TBM From Charlie Kellog. The WRAMS is just around the corner and need to check out the Vailly Aviation 1/3 SE 5A and sooner or later the Balsa USA Sopwith Camel once released. Hope these designers put down the pencil for a while, i'm going broke! I have to stop now, almost wet myself! LOL Cant take um with me but now that my girlfriend knows the value she will be more than happy if I leave them behind! Help me Mike C (Admin ) I am a sick sick man!

Built...still counting! Let you know when I retire.
Building H421-C,YZero,FWTA-154
Next Up Macchi 202,R C500 enlg,125"

Admin Group
Admin Group
RCSB Owner/Founder
IP Logged
Posted: February/03/2014 at 1:25pm  Quote

Quote: Planecrazy200
Help me Mike C (Admin ) I am a sick sick man!

Come to Toledo and we all beer you out of a few kits.

Update Your Browser!

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Avatar User Offline Easytiger Models
Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: February/03/2014 at 4:29pm  Quote

Hundreds.  Not all giant scale, mind you.  I used to have, at one point, 50,000 balsa kits.  Many were dupes, though, and many were solids.  As far as I know, a record.
BUT...hundreds is nothing.  I know plenty of kit collectors with hundreds or thousands of kits.  Plenty.  What I have now is modest.  The vast majority of balsa kits collected are stick and tissue rubber power, though.   Simply put...there aren't that many different R/C scale kits that were ever introduced...I doubt, even if you included really obscure stuff, that there would even be one thousand different R/C scale kits ever made...that's my guess, having collected kits for 20 years or so...

Avatar User Offline Planecrazy200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Scale Head
IP Logged
Posted: February/04/2014 at 2:46pm  Quote

My collection is of only aircraft I like ,1 of each and not just what ever was produced / made. I am not a dealer with inventory which is easy to say " I have 50,000 kits" Mine consists of Ziroli, Smith, Hostetler,Vailly, Yellow Aircraft, Byron, Century Jet, Topflite, Custom RC / George Miller, Jet Hanger Hobbies, Vailly Aviation, Jerry Bates, Palmer, Skymaster Jets, Balsa USA, Ian Baily and others. None of my planes are stick and tissue, solid or duplicates. If you add to it the plastic models which I have at least two of each for each of the RC kits I am at 300 plus. Depending on the plane when I build it I will cut at least one additonal kit from it if not more because I like different paint schemes such as Zirolis DC 3 which I intend to build 2 ( 1 DC 3 and a C-47 ) and have a 3rd for a later build. This will be the route taken with 33% of the kits I own. Hostetler ( out of Cessna's and now into Pipers. Beech's next?) and Bates are pumping out 2 plans + per year and expect to add what I like as they become available and Ziroli is due within the next year for another addition to his line I would guess. I dont forsee building everything but it will be one hell of an R/C yard sale! Hope to meet many of you depending on which state I end up in, but first come first serve!

Mike C ( Admin ) I plan on getting to Toledo in 2015 or 16 and would love to get together for a beer or two but talking me out of a few kits will be a hard task to accomplish! About as easy greasing a 3 point landing with the retracts stuck up and locked! but if your buying you can try as hard as you can!

I will look through the pile for a donation to the site though. give me some time to dig.

Built...still counting! Let you know when I retire.
Building H421-C,YZero,FWTA-154
Next Up Macchi 202,R C500 enlg,125"

Avatar User Offline Easytiger Models
Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: February/04/2014 at 4:01pm  Quote

300 R/C scale kits is huge, a massive collection of that type.    There just have not been that many RC scale kits made over the last fifty years...I'd guess maybe 1000 different ones, if that.  Add up all the Royal, Top Flite, Byron, Sterling, Berkeley, Flyline, etc....not that many! 
Kits cut from plans, well, I guess that would count, too, that makes a different equation.
As far as 50,000 kits, I bought them for ME, as a collector.  I did end up selling most of them off, many years later.
As far as the warehouse full of ARFs I am sitting in, well...that does not count.  They are not kits, they are not projects, they don't count for anything in this interesting discussion.

The funny thing is this...a large portion of modellers accumulate a large number of kits they never build.  For many of us, it is totally unrealistic to think we will build all the kits we have...and I think there is nothing wrong with that.  It's a pleasure just to take them down off the shelves and look at them once in a while.

]
] ]