]
Author / Post
Admin Group
Admin Group
RCSB Owner/Founder
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: June/01/2024 at 11:01am  Quote

Here in the Southern US were are already well into flying season and it is heating up fast! A quick item I would like to bring up is we have a lot of visitors from up north and from Europe attend our events here in the south and there are a few tips to stay comfortable and safe if you will be traveling this way in the near future. While most of these seem common sense you would be surprised how many folks don't heed these tips (including me sometimes).

1. Make sure you are wearing adequate protection from the sun. Take a few minutes and apply some high SPF sunblock to help protect your skin from over exposure which might cause problems for you down the road.

2.A large brim hat with ventilated top while not "cool" to most folks is really the coolest headgear to protect you and to let your head disperse the heat it needs to from your body. Ball caps are TERRIBLE at this, hold in the heat from your head, and allow your ears to get burned by the sun.

3. Wear loose light colored cotton/cotton blend clothing. This helps to reflect some of the heat from your body and keep you cool. While you may be making a fashion statement with that black t-shirt, all you are accomplishing is turning yourself into a heat-sink. 

4. Drink plenty of water. Soda's don't do the trick here. You need good 'ole WATER to keep your body cool and operating properly. Every year someone I know that goes to these fly-ns / contest here in the south sufferers from some heat related problem.. Usually because they were not drinking enough water. So keep yourself hydrated!

5. Most importantly PACE YOURSELF. If you are in a new environment that you are not used to be sure and take your time and don't get in a rush. Now you know why we talk so slow down here.

Just a few information items to cover this month...

1. 3D Repository - Now that the number of STL files has gotten pretty large in the 3D Repository, I have rewritten the 3D Repository page to split them up into categories and you can now search it. It and the resource repository work the same now. Site Supporters, click here to check it out.

2. Warbirds Over Georgia - I hope to see some of you at Warbirds Over Georgia June 6th - 8th at Mac Hodges place in Americus Georgia. Be sure to come up and say hi if we have never met, would love to shake your hand! You can find more information by clicking here.

3. Build Threads - I hope your flying/building season (depending on where you are in the world) this year is a good one. Please be sure to share your build in a thread if you have not already done so. Sharing your experiences (good and bad) while building will help others who might be struggling with the same issues.

That’s it for this month. 

Blue Skies,
Mike

My R/C Aircraft Over The Years

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United Kingdom United Kingdom
IP Logged
Posted: June/15/2024 at 9:00am  Quote

So sad to hear Brian Taylor has passed away ive just seen the news on the RCM&E magazine forum. Brian to me was the top scale modeller in the Uk. I’ve built 4 or 5 of his designs over the years and had the pleasure of speaking to him at the British Nationals and seeing his scale models up close. I could never get close to the standard Brian had with his models and his plans are so full on building techniques that they are a joy to read. R.IP. Brian.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: June/23/2024 at 10:26am  Quote

Rest in Peace Brain and sincerest Condolences to his family.
Thank you Mr.Taylor for being such a large influence and mentor since 1986 when I first purchased three sets of your fabulous designs at the 1986 Toledo show from then his only American distributor Bob Holman. After attending the first Scale Masters as a
Spectator and watching Garland Hamilton fly Brian’s 61in. Corsair with full flaps retractable gear including tail wheel functioning cycling gear doors I was hooked. Returning from the show I stated building Brains kawanishi N1K George and with Brian’s detailed plans side notes and perfect fitting templates it flew off the board. I can not praise or thank Mr. Taylor enough again thank you Brian and God speed.
Over the years accredited to him there’s are the models I built from his designs
George N1k
Hellcat
81” Mosquito
61”Corsair
P 51 Mustang
69” Spitfire
Thank You Brain

Avatar User Offline Planecrazy200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Scale Head
IP Logged
Posted: June/23/2024 at 10:43am  Quote

I would like to add to Mikes stay well/be well in the heat. Drink a small sports drink (Gatorade etc) if you're going to be outside along with that water. Coffee, teas, soda are all dehydrants! Also, don't be afraid to have some naturally high salt foods or add some salt to your foods as it helps your body to retain fluids/water.

Built...still counting! Let you know when I retire.
Building H421-C,YZero,FWTA-154
Next Up Macchi 202,R C500 enlg,125"

]
] ]