Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Scale Events>Wings Over Ta’ Qali Malta 2023 Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump  
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United Kingdom United Kingdom
IP Logged
Posted: May/21/2023 at 12:59pm  Quote

Just got back from a lovely weeks holiday in Malta........and just by chance found a model show...........to the delight of my other half.....

The model club is based on one of the original British WW2 airfields at Ta' Qali.....also nearby is a small Aviation Museum which was very interesting as they recently found a Bf 109 F4Z of 5.JG3 that had been hit by flak on 1st April 1942......pictures below.....

next in-line finish what i've started

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of Malta Malta
IP Logged
Posted: May/21/2023 at 2:09pm  Quote

Dave, that Me-109 was unearthed a few weeks ago during some roadworks. 

The OPEN DAY event takes up a lot of the club's effort. Unfortunately, May is not the ideal time to hold such event. We had discussed this issue many times at club level because during May we usually have very unsettled weather. At times it would be beautiful but on many occaisins the weather may not be very forgiving like it was today. At one point it was decided to shift the event to October/November period when the climate would not be hot and the weather quite stable. Unfortunately, somebody decided to revert this event back in May. Moreover, during May schools and University exams are high on the agenda so parents tend to stay away from any other extracurricular activities until the exams are over. There are no such disadvantages in October/November period as schools and Universities would be at the start of their scholastic year so parents can afford the time.  As I said this event takes up a lot of the club's resources and effort and all should be commended for this. I have been in this club for 50 years and the date of when this event should be held has always been a bone of contention and heavily debated at club level.  I hope they will realise the benefits of organising this event in October again because I believe they would reap greater benefits.

Hope you had a nice holiday!

Reuben

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: May/21/2023 at 5:37pm  Quote

Reuben,

Obviously the event manager does not have school age family members. Occasionally
Bomber Field has gone through this with no forethought, aka consideration for others... ;^0 

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: May/22/2023 at 1:25am  Quote

Hi Ed,
This topic was internally discussed throughout the years and if I remember correctly we even voted to change the event date to October/November. This event had been held for a number of years in May and seems currently it still is as traditionally it has been held during this month. However it always proved challenging as besides fighting the elements and end of year exams there usually also be other public events taking place in May. Sometimes we had end of season soccer event and other events as well around the island. Don't get me wrong sometimes we had very succesful events in May but these were few and far. October/November usually proves to be a quieter and people seek events further inland away from the beaches given that summertime would be over. Climatic conditions are usually better. 
Anyway, I just the club well.

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: May/22/2023 at 2:25am  Quote

Hi Reuben,

Sorry i missed you but the holiday was all last minute, the weather wasn't that great yesterday when we left......hope it improved....

There was a father and son who had made a lovely job of a Ziroli Mitchell, it wasn't finished but i spent some time chatting to the son, he was very excited telling me about a trip to Duxford and taking photos of the one in the 
American Museum, I said if he needed more photos i could help out but didn't leave him my email address, if you see him please pass it on, if you don't have it just let me know.

Hopefully if the weather is ok on the 2nd June here in the UK there is an event celebrating LASER ENGINES at Buckminster.......it's there 40th.....anyone who flies with a Laser can go.....as i have a hanger full of them that will include me
and quite a few other scale flyers here in the UK so i'll post something.

Yes, we really enjoyed our holiday......we stayed in Mgarr this time...

All the best

Dave

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: May/22/2023 at 3:27am  Quote

Well weather was not that great yesterday and today we have light rain. Well Mgarr is a stonethrow away from our field. I know the B-25 you are refering to. Scale stuff takes up a lot of time especially if life gets in the way! 
Are Laser engines still being made? Have they decided to make them petrol as well? I know they were great engines in glow setup. Today its mostly chinese engines. Still I hope you will gave a great event. Would be nice to see some photos too.

Well take care!

Reuben

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: May/22/2023 at 3:41am  Quote

Hi Reuben,

Lasers have been slow with manufacturing over the past couple of years but things seem to be much improved now with the release of inline and flat twins.....

http://www.laserengines.com/product-category/products/multi- cylinder-engines/

Yes i'll post some photos.....

All the best

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: May/22/2023 at 5:38am  Quote

Thanks for the link Dave.