Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Show Your Stuff!!!>Sterling Piper Tri Pacer (59" span) Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 2 Pages 1 2
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of Israel Israel
IP Logged
Posted: May/19/2023 at 6:06am  Quote

This is not quite the type of model you often see here, but it may be of interest to some.

I wanted to build this nostalgic model for a very long time, partly because I always fancied this fat little Piper with its non-scale horizontal whale tail, partly because I wanted to experience building and flying a 'scale' model 'like they used to' decades ago, and partly because as the years go by I find more pleasure in the simpler models that many decades ago got me interested in this hobby in the first place.

Finding a kit at a sane price took lots of patience but I did eventually find one that due to a somewhat damaged outer box, was of less "collector value".
The kit is pre-1970 for sure, because it contained a list of Sterling kits stating the prices were valid until the end of March 1970...

The cowl was metal, and I found, contrary to all the Sterling kit horror stories that I read many times, the die-cutting was very nice and clean, and in some places better than much more modern kits.

I made an effort to keep the model 'period correct' i.e. no reduced dihedral, no ailerons and flaps, no reduced tail size and all of that nonsense. I built it for what it is, as intended, with only 3 channels and not even a steerable nose wheel.

Weight came out at exactly 4 Lbs. using 100% kit parts and materials, and power is an old OS .25 LA swinging an APC 10-4.
This engine is a perfect match. Acceleration for takeoff is good (not an F-16 but neither a leisurely DC-3 acceleration) and altitude is gained very quickly because of the low wing loading. Actually, after takeoff I almost immediately reduce to 50% throttle or less.
Turns without ailerons are smooth and precise either way, and stability with that dihedral is fantastic. 
Stall characteristics? None. It doesn't stall. It stops in mid-air, lowers the nose, and floats on and on. When landing, I found it best to cut the engine 'over the fence' and let it land light as a feather.

The photos are from the first flights I performed today. I absolutely enjoyed this build and flight performance and urge others to stop collecting these old kits and do them justice by building them for what they are and as intended.

I did post a question here several months ago, about what size elevator to use, and can now answer it myself: 
I used the control-line size elevators shown on the plans and can now say they are the perfect size. My reasons against using the so-called scale size were that it would have required additional structure (i.e. weight) (my model balances without any ballast at all), and would have looked rather silly IMO. 
Also, the control-line elevators are period-correct for this model.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
National Flag of Australia Australia
IP Logged
Posted: May/19/2023 at 7:25am  Quote

That's awesome. Congratulations on a great plane 

Currently flying - A bunch of stuff
Currently building - BUSA 1/4 Scale Pup
Future build - Now that's a good question haha

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Build observer
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: May/19/2023 at 8:18am  Quote

Looks very nice in the air Erez - Great looker

AMA 152769
IMAA 6164
BUSA Brotherhood 169
Vintage RC Society 1527
Bloomingdale,NJ

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: May/19/2023 at 8:27am  Quote

Fantastic model.    I love the short-wing pipers.    I have an early version of this model(metal cowl).   I bought it on Ebay, half the cover was missing.   Sterling was not known for sturdy boxes.  Then again they did not expect them to be around over 60 years.

I took flying lessons in the 1960s and soloed in a Piper Colt. Another reason for my attraction to this model.
I went through the whole kit and was only missing one of the stab spars.  It is on my build list for next winter.

Again, great job on this build.

Stan

"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots"

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: May/19/2023 at 11:14am  Quote

ERFR,

I remember as a kid, probably around 11-12 years old, there was one hanging in the local hobby shop done as a control line model (what else). That was the first shop I would spend my allowance and lawn mowing money from grandma at. The was around 1966?

Dan

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: May/19/2023 at 11:41am  Quote

Just lovely! Thanks for posting.

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: May/20/2023 at 11:02am  Quote

Well done! I appreciate your notes on your build choices. I have this kit sitting in my build que. I'm leaning pretty strongly to three channel for mine as well. 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of Israel Israel
IP Logged
Posted: May/20/2023 at 11:32am  Quote

Quote: Mgnostic
Well done! I appreciate your notes on your build choices. I have this kit sitting in my build que. I'm leaning pretty strongly to three channel for mine as well. 

I took lots of photos of every step in my build so feel free to ask for any tips and suggestions if you want (I didn’t bother writing a build thread here because I doubt this kind of model is of much interest to anyone but I would be happy to share).

]
] ]